1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham 2019 Ante Post Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by the don, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Hazzaar hasn’t been declared, over hurdles, at Newbury tomorrow so it appears in the short term they are continuing down the bumper route with him (has an entry in a Listed bumper, at Ascot, on Friday with Aidan Coleman already booked). I guess, ultimately, how he fares in this heat will decide how they campaign him for the rest of the term - although it will getting a bit late to start novice hurdling re 2018/19 . But a win and current quotes of 33/1 for the Champion Bumper will, I would imagine, quickly disappear.

Pilgrim likes this.
  2. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Hazzaar has been declared to run in Ascot's Listed bumper of the morrow.

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Looks an above-average contest with any number of previous winners

4. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Dipped my toe into the ante post pond and backed Le Richeberg at 12s for the Arkle after his impressive win today at Ltown.I dont think the form of Kalashnikov supreme win is anything special so if LR makes it to March and has better ground I reckon he has a bloody decent chance of the winning this race.

5. the don

the don Well-Known Member

Stand up and fight 12s with 365 for the foxhunters looks very big after that impressive display today.....

6. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

A lovely horse Ste. He caught my eye when he was 25/1 for the Arkle but I didn't back him because I wasn't sure I'd get a run. After yesterday's Grade 1 success JOB indicated it was likely the Arkle will be his target so you should get a run. He's already had 4 runs over fences and it looks like he'll be turning up at the Dublin Festival too so he'll arrive at Cheltenham with plenty of jumping experience and battle hardened. Still a nice bet at 12/1. :emoticon-0148-yes:

OddDog and Ste D like this.
  7. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Le Richeberg into 8s now, Kalasnikov out to 9/2. Footpad won't be troubling Altior in March after getting chinned by 12 year old Simply Ned!

8. OddDog

Staff Member

Looks like a nice ticket Ste.

Quick Grabim’s form boosted by Aramon’s canter to victory today and he is my idea of the Supreme winner - 16/1 still available

Pilgrim likes this.
  9. the don

Caution Oddy - seems QG has had a setback....

Pilgrim likes this.
  10. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

The supreme hype horse Annamix finally gets a run out tomo at Limerick.As Oddy mentioned on another thread Mullins horses are running very poorly this week so anyone who has backed him ante post dont be surprised if he doesn't set the world alight tomo.

11. OddDog

Staff Member

Oh I wasn’t aware of that mate. Serious or just a niggle?

12. the don

I think it’s touch and go whether he makes the festival

13. OddDog

Staff Member

The Closutton gallops strikes again ,........

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

The bad news starts soon today. I have a bet 33/1 on him.

15. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

I think we can safely say that Annamix will not be winning in March and has been pushed out to 25/1. Another Richie novice hurdler fails to live up to the hype!

Pilgrim likes this.
  16. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Mister Smug here!

My gambling had virtually ceased apart from ante post betting on the Cheltenham Gold Cup so when the offers on Native River, Presenting Percy and Might Bite settled down in May/June of this year and the last one quarter the each way odds (Stan James) disappeared I thought that's f****n' it. It looks like being the best decision I ever made as the 'favourite' is yet to be seen this season and has possibly the Hennessy Gold Cup in February as a last chance to have more than a wee blow before the CGC. Not much to say about the rest.

Had I still been punting I would certainly have had an each way interest in 'Definitely Red' at 33/1 as he reminds me of so many of the 'stayers' who have won in past years.

Ste D likes this.
  17. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

It really has been a poor start to the season to be honest, alot of horses beating each other and only Altior and to a small degree Apples Jade really lighting up the division. Looks like its going to be one of the openest festivals in years!!

18. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

that's no bad thing really , been impressed with kim baileys runners this year , he has a couple of top notch chasers that will more than pay their way , shame waiting patiently got interfered with on wednesday, i suppose it will be aintree for him .....

Ste D likes this.
  19. OddDog

Staff Member

Just reading an article on the Racing Post website about bookies specials in 2019 and one caught my eye from Betway:

100/1 all four Cheltenham championship races to be won by the same horse as in 2018

Buveur D’Air looks much the best in the Champion Hurdle despite being beaten at Christmas

Altior just looks unbeatable

Penhill can rock up and repeat his Stayers Hurdle triumph - his trainer is a master of this art

Native River has run 2 very solid races in unsuitable conditions so far and the Gold Cup track and trip will suit much better.

Clearly not a wheelbarrow job but there are far worse 100/1 shots out there and this is surely worth a cheeky tenner?

bayernkenny likes this.
  20. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

It’s 161/1 if you do it at William Hill. So I do think it’s a shocking 100/1 shot!!