1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chillo appeal

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by RichardG, Oct 26, 2020.

1. RichardG

RichardG Well-Known Member

There's no golden figure here really. No real target. No one is under any impression that we're going to resolve all of the problems that the Chiltons face. But we are improving things for the family, and that's important. We're giving them a break financially, emotionally, physically. All of those things are incredibly important. I've spoken with a handful of people today who know them and I can't tell what all of this has done for their morale too. Between us all we've received 13k in less than 12 hours or appealing, and while I know that that's going to slow in the coming days, it seems that something has been ignited. There are many, many more things being planned now in the long term, and that's brilliant. We may not be able to pay for 24-hour care for Chillo for the rest of his days, but by failing to do that we're not pissing in the wind. We're taking a situation that was incredibly bleak for a wonderful family and making it much, much less bleak in many different ways. I get what you're saying, but I refuse to see all of this as anything other than a positive. No one is blind to the challenges coming, but the Chiltons don't have to suffer in silence any more. And with the money we raise they will have options available to them that they wouldn't have been able to dream of a couple of weeks ago. We're not solving everything, but we're making the situation better. So thank you for your donation! It will do more than you can imagine.

2. RichardG

Some of this is personal to the Chiltons, but the situation they were facing was his son selling his house to fund his dad's care. I know nothing more than that. It may still happen, it may not. I don't know the precise ins and outs of their situation - I don't think anyone does other than a select few people. It may well be that if Chris can be cared for in the home, say, three days a week, that would give them the energy and strength to look after him the other four. There are all sorts of permutations that the Chilton family will be able to consider in the coming weeks, but this list of options will have grown thanks to the generosity of Hull City fans. One thing I do know is that his wife and children will only do what is right for Chris. His family are made very much in his image.

3. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

This is exactly what it's all about imo, whatever they do with it.

petersaxton likes this.
  4. victor meldrew

Done........great player gave his all for City......plus he is a Top Man !!!

5. boltontiger

boltontiger Well-Known Member

Done. My favourite all time Hull City player and had the pleasure of meeting him and his immediate family members on several occasions in the 1960’s. Such a shame to hear of his current health problems.

6. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

I wouldnt have thought Chris would want his family to lose their home, too.
    The split between care home and family home seems good but I hope Chris would be comfortable with that.
    Somebody who we know had to go in a care home at 90. He likes it! But everybody is different.
    Me and the wife are hoping to move in with family but in a self contained part of a house but only when it's difficult to live alone. We dont want to sell our house but convert it into flats for rental income.

Ric Glasgow likes this.
  7. Tentotwo

Tentotwo Well-Known Member

Donation duly given.

Ric Glasgow and RichardG like this.
  8. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

9. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

A great player and, more importantly, a genuinely great man. I greatly miss our occasional meetings in Sainsbury’s Hedon.

Donated, I wish it could be more, he and the family deserve every last bit of support that they get.

CANADATIGER, mazzer, FER ARK and 2 others like this.
  10. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

My dad has just gone into the home behind beech tree pub (the rowens) he has dementia but has lived on his own for the past two and half years since my wonderful mam passed. He's done really well until recently when he started falling, he was taken into Hull royal after a recent fall and after a week's stay he was sent to the home for respite. However they now say he needs 24hr care so has gone in permanently. I feel guilty because I always said I wouldn't let him go in a home, I even got a spare room made up into a bedroom a year ago. Unfortunately my wife has muscular dystrophy and is a wheelchair and cannot do anything for herself so has well has working part time I care for her. Everyone in the family thought it's to much for me to have my Dad has well although I wanted to give it a go. They said what if he falls in the night ect. Finally having seen him in the home and how he seemed happy enough I've let him go in. I'm glad he was in the respite first because if he wasn't happy I wouldn't have let him go in. Now the costs, if you have less than £14.500 then it's free, between £14.500 and £23.000 you have to contribute. And over £23.000 you pay it all. My Dad has a small amount in savings but his house is worth around £190.000 which they take into account so we will have to sell it and pay £700 a week. Had you can imagine the value of his home will soon go. Good luck to Chris and his family.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Seems an appropriate time for these.

tigerscanada and RichardG like this.
  12. RichardG

So sorry to hear about your situation, John. It's such a tough situation. Please don't beat yourself up over this though. It sounds to me like you've given everything you can for your dad. I'm sure he'd be proud of you. And it can be tough to take, but sometimes a care home is the best place for people.

13. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

Sorry if it's been posted somewhere and I've missed it, but has the club contributed and or commented?

14. RichardG

We've been in contact with the club and there are some nice plans there. I can't reveal what but Joe Clutterbrook has been excellent with everything.

15. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

Thanks Richard, Apart from holidays I went to his house seven days a week to do either his dinner or tea, in between he was on his own, he is now around other people which I am pleased about. Unfortunately has everyone knows you can only visit for one 30 minute session a week but there is a lot of people in this situation, in fact I think some care homes have no visits. I've got my head around it now and think he is safer and has people around him although care costs are ridiculous. Some get it free yet others can pay well over a thousand a week depending on which home you are in. Anyway sending my best wishes to Chris and his family he sometimes took the training when I was a youngster at city.

16. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Johbo, your story is so identical to mine. Dad rented his council house on Greenwood Ave, so there was nothing to sell. He started to fall and unfortunately he eventually fell down the stairs and broke his back.

Still he kept fighting, but after respite, we found him sheltered housing close by to my house. We made that place a perfect pad for him and he had regular care workers throughout those days, but eventually Alziemers, Parkinsons and Cancer in his pelvis became too much and we found him an excellent care home on Anlaby Road (Westdene).

Unfortunately, he eventually had to lose his fight. Pneumonia was the angel that eventually came down to save him.

A big shout out to all of the care workers who clearly loved him. Some of his previous carers visited him in his care home in their own time and even turned up at his funeral.

City till he died and then some x

17. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

The fact that you shared that on a thread like this is testimony to you as a son Johnbo. I know we would all do whatever we had to, the fact of it is, you are. Best Wishes to you and Dad. And to you Kemps too..

18. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

This was right at the beginning of when I started going, but I found it ironic that Jarvis was the first when he was actually a winger, so won't have headed the ball as much as say Jeff Astle and Chillo.

19. johnbo

johnbo Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your Dad Kemps but you are so right regarding the carers, it's a low paid job yet many are so dedicated. They really are special people.

RichardG and Kempton like this.
  20. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

And good luck to you and yours...

johnbo likes this.