1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chris Hughton puts Birmingham's Europa League campaign on backburner

Discussion in 'Birmingham City' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

New Birmingham City manager Chris Hughton says his side's return to European club competition is way down his list of priorities for the season ahead.

Alex McLeish's successor takes over a Championship club who find themselves in the Europa League following their Carling Cup victory.

Hughton has made it clear that his priorities lie with the club's league campaign and securing a return to the Premier League and that the Europa League campaign is far less important.

He said: "I don't think I'd be speaking too out of place if I was to say, for me, that is not the biggest priority," said the 52-year-old when asked about continental targets.

"It's something which is very welcome and it gives players an opportunity to play at European level. But I don't think it would be wrong of me to say that it isn't the most important priority for me.

"The most important one is to get this group of lads together and give this Championship a real good go."

Hughton is aiming to repeat his feat of taking Newcastle from relegation back into the top-flight at the first time of asking with Blues.

He added: "Our approach will be to do as well as we can in the competition (Europa League). It is a different stage and does open players to a different audience, that audience becomes bigger the further you go in the competition. Anything which promotes this club is a plus."