1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chris Hughton set to be named new Birmingham City manager

Discussion in 'Birmingham City' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Former Newcastle manager Chris Hughton is to become the new boss of Birmingham City and will sign his contract later today, Sky Sports reports.

Blues boss have picked Hughton as the man to get them back into the Premier League and he is on the verge of finalising a deal to become Alex McLeish's successor at St Andrews. He is expected to sign a 12-month rolling contract once the personal terms are finalised.

The vacancy ended up being a two-horse race between the former Tottenham assistant manager and ex-West Brom boss Roberto Di Matteo.

Hughton has been out of work since being unexpectedly fired by Newcastle after a 3-1 defeat at West Brom in December. Magpies supporters protested against the decision since the club were comfortably sitting in mid-table in their first season back in the Premier League.

Birmingham acting chairman Peter Pannu was impressed by Hughton's interview and will pass his decision on a preferred appointment to owner Carson Yeung for ratification.

Hughton's appointment will be the first managerial change since Yeung arrived at the clun, since McLeish was already in his post at the time of his takeover early in the 2009-10 campaign.

Hughton will be tasked with picking the club up after their relegation, as well as McLeish's resignation and subsequent move to rivals Aston Villa, and preparing the squad to return to top-flight football at the first time of asking as he did with Newcastle.

2. Munstertoon

Munstertoon Member

Great appointment for you Blues! A real football man, and a proper gent as well. He will do better for you than a more high profile manager would.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of all the Toon Army, when I wish Birmingham City a speedy return to the EPL. We will be looking out for your results next season, and hope to be able to give him a standing ovation when he steps out at St James Park the season after that!