1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chris Ramsey has admitted he is unsure whether QPR will be able to hang onto Alex McCarthy

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, Jul 17, 2015.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Ramsey admits McCarthy’s future is unclear
    please log in to view this image

17/07/2015
    By David McIntyre
    Chris Ramsey has admitted he is unsure whether QPR will be able to hang onto Alex McCarthy.
    Crystal Palace want to sign the goalkeeper and are expected to return with another bid, having had an offer of £3m rejected by Rangers.
    A bid of £3.5m would trigger a release clause in McCarthy’s contract and hand him the chance of a return to the Premier League.
    “I don’t really know where it (Palace’s interest) is going to go until we get back to England,” said Ramsey, whose side will today complete a pre-season trip to Italy that has been marred by late changes of opposition and venue.

Ramsey has praised Green for his performances for Rangers
    The Rangers head coach added: “Obviously Alex is a very good keeper and we see him as part of our future plans. But finances and economics sometimes dictate what happens.”
    McCarthy, 25, has made just four first-team appearances since joining QPR from Reading a year ago.
    He is regarded as an excellent prospect but has so far been unable to dislodge Rob Green as first-choice keeper.
    Green, 35, has a year remaining on his contract at Loftus Road and speculation that he would be targeted by other clubs, including Chelsea, has come to nothing.

Green had been tipped to leave, but QPR received no offers
    Rangers have been aware of Palace’s interest in McCarthy for some time and identified several keepers as potential signings should he leave.
    They included England Under-21 international Jonathan Bond before he was recently signed by Reading from Watford.
    “I think Alex, by his own admission, would look at Rob’s form last season and feel if he could reach those heights he’d be very happy,” said Ramsey.
    “I think he knows it’s a difficult job ahead with regard to choosing a number one goalkeeper at the club. Rob has done nothing wrong and performed admirably for us last season.
    “I think competition between keepers is good, but obviously Alex has his own situation to look at.
    “At the moment I’m considering them both in contention to start the season and we’ll have to wait and see over the next few weeks what happens.”