1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Christophe Lemaitre blows away Dwain Chambers at European Team Championships

Discussion in 'Athletics' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

France's Christophe Lemaitre beat Dwain Chambers in a personal best time to signal a possible changing of the guard in European sprinting.

Lemaitre took victory at the European Team Championships' men's 100m with a convincing win over his British rival.

The Frenchman recorded a time of 9.95 seconds on the opening day of competition in Stockholm.

The 21-year-old shaved one-hundredth of a second off his best as he stormed to victory over veteran Chambers.

The 33-year-old recorded a time of 10.07 after a blistering start. But once Lemaitre was into his stride, Chambers never looked likely to challenge the young pretender.

Of Lemaitre, he said: "He is fantastic for European sprinting. He has so many advantages with his height and those long legs that keep striding past me...he is like an antelope!

"He is young and enthusiastic, but at my age [33], I just have to keep chasing him and focus on my own race."

Lemaitre, recording the fastest time by a European sprinter since 2004 and setting a new championship record said: "I am very happy and very surprised - I didn't think I would beat my personal best again.

"But I think I can run faster in Daegu [at the World Championships in August]. Of course it is very difficult with Usain [Bolt], Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell, but I think I can get to the final in the 100m and 200m, and hopefully be going for fourth or fifth place."

2. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

His technique is terrible, he runs like forrest gump. But if you've got basic raw speed then you've got a chance.