1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

City v Grimsby

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Sep 25, 2020.

1. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I've not seen it announced anywhere, but our Football League Trophy game against Grimsby on 6th October is off, the Grimsby team are all self-isolating after one of their team tested positive.

2. Tentotwo

Tentotwo Well-Known Member

Best get use to it...

3. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Do we get the three points then?

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  4. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

After virtual penalties.

Ron Burguvdy likes this.
  5. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

That's about as positive as it gets if you're a Grimsby fan.

TwoWrights likes this.
  6. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

This **** is going to go on all season, without getting into politics, it’s all a waste of time.
    I can see this season ending sooner rather than at the end!

7. Ron Burguvdy

Ron Burguvdy Well-Known Member

8. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something but what the hell is going on.
    West Ham, 2 players and a manager test positive. Just carry on.
    Grimsby, 1 player test positive. Full shutdown.
    Both clubs monitoring their players & staff daily.
    Same virus. Same sport. Same country. Totally different outcome.

9. pcworks

pcworks Well-Known Member

If infection rates continue to rise and EFL league 1 and 2 teams continue to be affected by Covid19 infections, then I can see those leagues being suspended unless a testing regime is introduced. The lower league clubs state they cannot afford to spend £5K+ per week on testing for a 40 week season as they have no income from gate receipts etc The next few weeks are going to be tricky and I suspect the EPL money pot / magic money tree is going to have to be plundered to keep the lower leagues afloat.

johnbo, Howden Tigress and Kempton like this.
  10. The Compositor

The Compositor Well-Known Member

To be honest, it’s ****ed isn’t it?

11. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

If the lowest ranked team in the PL gets £120m odd across the season, why don't they just take 10% off every PL team and put it into the EFL? Or give it to charity? Or is that too nice?

GLP and johnbo like this.
  12. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

Because the EFL only cares about 'equalling the playing field' in Leagues 1 and 2 i.e. the wage cap. Championship and PL teams are free to do as they like and even break FFP rules and get a slap on the wrist.

If poorer teams are expected to handle mandatory testing costs, a 'COVID tax' would have to be enforced by the FA on the wealthier clubs. Personally, I'd be all for it. I was against the wage cap in Leagues 1 and 2 because it just widens the gap between those leagues and the Championship and makes it harder for teams promoted to the Championship to have a fighting chance at staying up. I also think it's unfair on the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth, who tend to have decent crowds even in League 1 and therefore more revenue to spend on wages and transfers.

I think an internal tax enforced by the FA to fund grassroots orgs and lower league academies and facilities across the football league would be a fairer way of narrowing the wealth inequality in English football, rather than wage caps.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  13. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree, but Grimsby won’t be monitoring players daily (if by monitoring you mean testing)
    Not that it’s relevant because they both had positive tests regardless of how many tests they’d had. Shambles from West Ham IMO and poor that we just went along with it.

14. Mckechnie Orange

Mckechnie Orange Well-Known Member

Club seemed totally blind to the incubation period in agreeing to play West ham.

Cant believe from a potential transmission
    Perspective were playing tomorrow.

That said, West ham offer of free testing wouldnt have shown anything considering we were exposed by them in their stadium on the day

dennisboothstash likes this.
  15. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

It's looking likely EFL will introduce random testing with full testing initially of all teams in October, thereafter random testing.

Apparently to be funded by EFL, which will, in the end, reduce what clubs receive from the EFL, but this splits the cost evenly across all clubs.

16. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

It's not testing as such, but it's a daily monitoring routine .... "The .. squad and staff, who fill in a questionnaire and have their temperature taken every morning"

17. dennisboothstash

Ah ok.
    Unlikely to spot anything you wouldn’t realise yourself but I suppose it keeps everyone aware.

18. dennisboothstash

Exactly
    The bit I can’t understand is why their players, or certainly the ones that the positive ones must surely have had physical contact with over the few preceding days, didn’t isolate as per the Govt rules.
    To be fair to City if (even though I find it hard to believe) those three didn’t have ‘close contact’ with the rest of the team, and presumably the explanation they gave satisfied City of that, then there’s no reason to think any City players would get it and so this game should be unaffected.
    Big assumption though

19. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Why aren’t tesco and asda bailing out the small shopkeepers who are going to the wall?

20. dennisboothstash

It’s a fair point, although Tesco and Asda aren’t part of a group of shops that all agree rules on how they’ll sell stuff and how much they can pay their staff in relation to their income, and already agree to share income between them all. Also they don’t have competitions with other smaller shops that we all go and watch where they see who can sell stuff most effectively and have a big ‘shop off’ each year where we all keenly watch their tills and spend endless hours discussing how their shelf stacking is going and why they sell us their beans at different prices.
    Asda and Tesco would be fine without any other shops, but if there were no more football clubs apart from two big ones in each country then the season would get a bit boring and mean they gradually died too.

Other than that you’re bang on (I’m not even being sarcastic. The notion of big clubs bailing out small ones is ok in theory, and something they probably are discussing, but the way big clubs currently work with loans and shareholders etc means it’s not realistic to simply impose it on them, they would need to take a long term business decision as to whether it was sensible or not...whether we like that or not)

GLP likes this.