1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread City v Millwall

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by RedorDead, May 1, 2021.

1. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Really?

You would want the embarrassment of a Joey Bartonesque rant with 5 games to go, saying "I wouldn't have signed any of the players in the dressing room"??? Come on.

Here is what I can tell you, Simpson and Downing only took over out of professional courtesy and after the Barnsley defeat, we learned 2 things, firstly they did not want the job and felt they had nothing to lose by saying publicly to SL that the club needed to act fast and bring in the new man and secondly nobody at the club knew that Joe Williams had had a 2nd opinion and an operation (I could go on about what was actually going on with medical issues at the club, issues that beggar belief).

After an away game I can't remember where, the interviewer said to Pearson something along the lines of "what are you expecting to hear from SL's zoom interview tonight?" and a visibly irritated Pearson replied "he's doing an interview, thats news to me". In that interview SL ridiculously claimed that we had a strong squad, which is utter nonsense.

What Pearson has done has been far more subtle, playing many of the failing players and bringing them on off the bench and playing a smattering of kids, to actually expose to SL and possible suitors, how shameless these players actually are and the penny that had dropped with a majority of the fan base a long time ago dropped with SL and face by piss poor season ticket sales, he gave Pearson a 3 year contract.

Believe me a players numbering double figures already know their fate and in no uncertain terms.

No need for public dirty linen like Barton.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  2. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Can I suggest you look at their first goal again and explain how Hunt was left exposed to a 1 v 3 situation with everybody bar him and Oleary ahead of the ball, when our move broke down.

3. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Sorry but the decay, started to set in at the start of last season, the evidence is clear and was exacerbated by the actions of SL + poodles at the start of this season. Only 17 wins last season and only 15 so far this season.

We have been lucky that there are 5 teams actually worse than us but we have struggled against all of them.

Simple analogy for the highlighted portion of your post. If your car has been totally reliable for 4/5 years and then even after lavishing every care for it's maintenance it starts to regularly let you down, you replace it for a newer more reliable model, you don't waste time or money on it and to be fair that is exactly what Pearson has said publicly twice now.

4. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

I am not bending it, I am stating the obvious along with the fact that that when we say things, and I mean anything, we could / should look at the whole picture. There must always be a start and finish the same as up and down AGREED. However encapsulating something within in a time line can be tailored to encapsulate any argument or comment as beneficial or detrimental. WE ALL do it, some more than others.
    My comment sought a reason as to what may have been the cause to our demise after a certain date. [ a number on here were of the same opinion, It can as explained never be a proven, would we have been better or worse should Brownhill have stayed … no one can tell.
    Its a bit like the comments made when a team "hits the post" and they could have won ..got promoted … were relegated etc because it didn't go in … or post match comments like "they could have won by a mile 3 goals /etc had that been given ……. " it is what it is nothing can be changed … everything that happens after an event in time is what happens you cannot change it, everything that happens before an event in time cannot be changed. You can only look for a reason why, before it occurred, something led to it happening... bit like the car stops.... ooops forgot to put petrol in it … not same as losing a few games but similar process ….

Jiffie likes this.
  5. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I strangely agree. However the recent data and overall performances are what has to acted upon, before it's too late and maybe we for once have dodged a bullet and can now rebuild from a stronger base and based on the footballing needs and not a corporate needs, but it will count for nothing if we don't learn and act from any lessons along the way.

For me the warnings signs were there before last season started and were not addressed and then for whatever reason the start of this season was amateur hour and from the sacking of LJ to the length of time and BS before naming Holden, leaving him no time to strengthen the squad, to bringing in an injured player and that is why we are where we are.

However in a back handed way it has exposed how dysfunctionally the playing side of the club has been run by non football people, the recruitment policy, the disgrace that is our medical rehab has become, the cronyism and an owner living in dream land believing all of the BS he is being spoon fed by his poodles instead of believing his eyes like the vast majority of the fanbase.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  6. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

i don't think he was ever on the radar according to transcripts issue since Holdens engagement

This is the most pathetic use of nepotism you could possibly pander to...… picking on an individual whose dad once had a job here / there / anywhere
    When in the 60's and 70's [ maybe later decades not so much ] you were after a job [ and companies had boards outside saying "jobs...apply now"] an interview with the personel officer STARTED with …. What job are you applying for and have you any relatives working here or in some cases "your Father /mother/ brother/sister/uncle/aunt /etc has put you forward for ……………"
    an application form duly presented had questions of job title after ... age... relatives working here … experience …..and often a better qualified candidate was passed over for a family member or found an opportunity or put on the list for next job NEPOTISM was an accepted part of getting a job ……. ROLLS ROYCE... AEROSPACE .. BRISTOL BUS CO... and many others often had whole and extended families working for them ……………...

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  7. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  8. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I think the whole mess up last season was SL wanted Gerrard and was probably side tracked into believing he may apply. Once Gerrard publicly said he’s not interested they then rushed through Holden.
    We are where we are now, and hopefully with a lot of OOC players we can work to getting a team of players who want to play. This transfer window will see a whole host of players that are OOC at their clubs moving around. I don’t think there will be a great deal of money spent. So hopefully Nige can attract players where neither DH or LJ could of.
    I’m expecting to see a lot leave and about 6-8 arrive along with Williams and a few others returning will see almost 11 new players come August.

9. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Will be interesting how many of Junior's signings will start next season.

My guess 2.
    Out of 65.

Anyone think different ?

10. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

My Landcruiser is 24 years old and I've had it 23 years and still going strong, still prefer it to many of the rubbish being produced nowadays....It would let me down....but it's kept maintained well!!

11. oneforthebristolcity

Yes
    but;
    He hasn't got 65 to choose from has he? <doh> again, another stupid comment...but predictable!! <laugh>

12. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

It's the teams performances that are the worst in the Championship and I'll shock you, I have never thought LJ was the worst head coach, far from the top one, has never done it for me, we have gone through a phase, that is now over, I can't wait for the new period to start, fresh faces, new ideas, experience at the helm, the dream can begin again.

Rock on Bristol City, you'll have to forgive me I'm down in Cornwall for the first time this year, the gales are a blowin' but I'm feeling great.

Red Squid and Reliant Robin TC2 like this.
  13. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

I've got to a point where I think that LJ will be held to account for any failings by the club in 100 years time! It's just a different form of being a legacy fan!!

14. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Not by me mate, he is as much of a victim of this shameless squad as we the fans have been.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  15. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Wake up RP, there are not 65 of LJs signings at the club right now. Wipe the hatred from your eyes ffs. I’ll bet the first ones to go are DH and NPs signings, who have all been utter $hite!!

16. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Not wrong and only TWO worth a start.
    An appalling legacy.

17. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Would be interesting how many future managers you say it’s LJ’s fault when results go bad.
    My guess 3

18. oneforthebristolcity

A legacy that shows, he is the most successful manager we've had since AD.
    A legacy that shows he's the only manager to keep us in the championship the longest.
    An appalling legacy to you as a hater......not sure too many care TBH :emoticon-0105-wink:

19. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I think you need to re read what you have written, because it's inaccurate.

He is the most successful manager since AD at keeping us in the championship, full stop. Still a very good legacy to have.

He is not the most successful we've had since AD because others have actually won promotions etc. whatever way you spin it, that is how success is measured by most normal fans and technically his father has a better overall record of finishes never out of the top 10.

And being pedantic the highlighted portion does even read right at all, AD kept us in the championship the longest not LJ.

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I look through the telescope from the other end, Alan Dicks kept us in the 1st tier of the football league for 4 years, as long as Lee Johnson kept us out of it and in tier 2, there is no point in trying to compare AD's honours record with LJ's because I'm sorry, LJ won nothing for us.