1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread City v Rotherham

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by RedorDead, Dec 12, 2020.

1. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Unchanged starting team from Wednesday

upload_2020-12-12_14-3-26.png

2. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

MATCH DETAILS
    Where: New York Stadium
    When: Saturday, December 12th, 3pm KO
    Competition: Sky Bet Championship
    Referee: Leigh Doughty
    Assistants: James Wilson and Philip Dermott
    Fourth official: Ross Joyce
    please log in to view this image

DOWN MEMORY LANE
    Bristol City 1-0 Rotherham United
    Ashton Gate
    Saturday, December 29th 2018
    Sky Bet Championship
    Bristol City ended 2018 on a high with Adam Webster’s late header capping off an attacking display to secure the 1-0 victory against Rotherham United.
    The Millers went down to nine men in the second half with two yellow cards for Billy Jones and a straight red for Ritchie Towell, as City sent forward wave after wave of attacks at Ashton Gate.
    It could have been a rugby score if the home side had been more clinical on the day but Webster’s late header - his first goal for the club - had enough about it to beat Millers’ keeper Marek Rodak and send City into 2019 on the back of three points.
    The win extended their unbeaten run to seven games and lifted the Robins to 11th in the Sky Bet Championship.

HEAD TO HEAD*
    Rotherham United v Bristol City
    Played: 52
    City won: 20 (38%)
    Drew: 10
    City lost: 22
    Bristol City goals: 26
    Rotherham goals: 34

Bristol City top goalscorers: Nahki Wells (5)
    Rotherham top goalscorer: Freddie Ladapo (4)
    Bristol City most assists: Antoine Semenyo (6)
    Rotherham most assists: Joe Mattock, Matthew Olosunde 2
    Bristol City clean sheets: 8
    Rotherham clean sheets: 2

League positions
    Bristol City: 6th
    Rotherham: 20th
    *All competitions unless stated

Diédhiou's impact from the bench gave us a 1-0 win v Blackburn on Wednesday

Nagy was voted fans' Man of the Match on Twitter
    Robins TV
    Rotherham United v City will be streamed live on Robins TV complete with analysis, commentary and replays! The pre-match shows starts at 2.30pm, with the matchday pass costing just £10.
    Buy your Robins TV matchday pass
    MansionBet Boosted odds!
    • Bristol City to win to nil WAS 11/4 NOW 10/3
    • Nahki Wells to score first WAS 9/2 NOW 11/2

3. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Total utter dog crap first half.

ODowda, Bakinson and Semenyo are absolutely shocking, the defence is playing like schoolboys and not very good schoolboys.

Surely we have better than ODowda? especially for dead ball situations.

2 shots only 1 on target, we have created nothing, when did Semenyo start believing that he has suddenly become Messi?

The whole team really need to extricate their heads from their arses for the 2nd half.

4. realred1952

we are dogs poo not worth a tenner .. always fall to the less obvious best we can hope for is 2 -2

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

That was awful, and that is being generous

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Another one I thought we’d win, but kept it quiet so not to jinx it.
    Well, utter dross springs to mind
    Still, only Redprintt will have some sort of joy today with his second team winning. The rest of us are miserable as fk.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  7. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

R&W - have a day off.

Unlike most, I didn't see a great performance against Blackburn.
    I saw even worse today.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  8. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

We just seem to have this innate capability of being less than average and why on earth we constantly hear about our desire to achieve something this season beggars belief. Let's face the truth that we are nowhere near good enough to get out of this division and unless we get our head out of the sand then it will continue ad nauseum for years to come. Even back in the Gary Johnson era we had enough chances to progress but every single time we had an above average chance of getting there we always found the easy way to shoot ourselves in the foot. It would seem to me that the ambition we constantly hear from the people who run our club isn't worth a grain of salt and why we have to continually ask why did we play a certain player or adopt an unworkable strategy and I am starting to believe nothing will change in my lifetime. If you truly want to achieve then you have to get things better than this current scenario and I can't see it happening. So sad really:emoticon-0101-sadsm

9. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Yes I am angry, but win, lose or draw I will always forgive my team as long as they give 100% and today nobody can claim to have given 100%, they were to a man shocking beyond belief.

One team turned up and wanted to win and the other team thought that they only had to get off of the coach to win, it was a gutless, aimless performance and at times even cowardly performance and to a man they should hang their collective heads in shame.

Today once more proved put up against a physical team and we play like pussies, 2nd best all over the pitch, half hearted challenges all over the pitch, hardly put 2 passes together, 3 shots all game against 22 from a team with the 2nd worst defence in this league and also proved if proof was needed our midfield is still unfit for purpose and that is the cornerstone of any successful team.

Earlier today I watched Bristol rugby get well and truly beaten by French team Clermont in the European cup, one of the best club teams in world rugby, but they never gave up and all gave 100% they were just beaten by the better team, that never happened for us today.

Bentley 4 Neither goal was his fault but too often especially in the 2nd half came for balls in a half hearted fashion often flapping at it.

Hunt 2 Just shocking. Subbed at halftime.

Kalas 2 Tried but looked slow and positionally poor all game.

Vyner 2 Another positionally poor.

Rowe 2 Always tries but never in the game.

Nagy 1 Had a shocker, nothing like the player of recent weeks, couldn’t pass water today.

Bakinson 2 Slow, poor in possession, poor out of possession, looked unfit and not physical enough.

ODowda 1 Where to start, he has his own thread and most of us thought he was improving, think again, couldn’t beat an egg today, couldn’t pass, caught in possession time after time, weak in the tackle, a liability defensively, his dead ball delivery is hopeless, if he is our best free kick taker, we are in trouble, I gave him 1 because he did deliver one good cross for the equally poor Wells. Has to be benched after today.

Semenyo 1 I think he believes that he has cracked it as a player, played with his head up his arse all game, absolutely zero composure in the box, blazed 2 over from good positions.

Wells 1 Does not remotely look as though he has a goal in him, gave the ball away, I am just glad that we never had a penalty today, I would have expected him to have missed.

Martin 3 Tried but no help whatsoever from anybody.

A special word for Diedhiou, he did as always give 100% but was never going to make a difference. At least I did find one positive today and a player who looked as if he gave a crap.

Brunt the guy with the invisible magic wand of a left foot, yeah right. What a disappointment he is, looks like what is known in military and police circles as a uniform carrier.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  10. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Gutless, spineless, useless, pointless, an awful, weak, tepid performance, players should be ashamed of themselves, Deano had better sort this lot out, we need our injured 8 back,can't say anything else.

11. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

We don't create enough chances in the last 10 games, the most shots on target in a game is 3, that is woeful.

12. bcfcredandwhite

<laugh>

I was out with Mrs R&W walking the dog in Savernake before stopping for a Scotch Egg and a pint in Marlborough. Very nice. took my mind off what must have been a dire game.
    I shan’t be watching the Quest highlights later either - so I will in fact be taking a day off football completely.

Jiffie likes this.
  13. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Your scotch egg would have played better than most of todays losers.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  14. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Well at least LJ had a good day.

15. bcfcredandwhite

And Cotts....!

16. invermeremike

Dean must be having a laugh when he said post-match that it was the 1st time this season that we haven't played up to potential. Forgive me for bringing this up but he's starting to sound like someone else we once knew. How many more times do they need telling that it isn't good enough?

17. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

That was dire-completely out played-Rotherham bossed the game from start to finish.
    Bentley kept the score down-could have been 4/5 against us today.
    Dean Holden v Lee Johnson same **** different coach.

18. realred1952

I could have gone for a nice 3 mile walk in the sunshine, navigated treacherously muddy paths, endured the chill that would have caressed my cheeks and fingers. Watched the squirrels antics as they hunted for recently buried nuts or acorns and sailed through the tree tops, the odd Fieldfare or Redwing joining Mr blackbird in stripping off Haws or Sloe's .. the Tits Robins Dunnock's and Wrens feeding from the discretely placed feeders ... instead was subjected to 2 hours of total s****........
    Bring back LEE 4-0 winners at Lincoln bring back Palmer bring back Brownhill

19. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

When I saw the cup game against Villa reserves it struck me how far away we are from promotion to the Prem.

I've said for weeks we've been running on empty and I'll repeat that with more performances like today we're more likely to be relegated than finish in the top 6.

If I have to pick one to criticise today it would have to be Semenyo. He doesn't have a clue to know when to give and when to shoot. I went through the screen at his NON effort to stop the cross for their 2nd.
    We, as a club have to realise we really are miles away.

20. invermeremike

I can't help but comment on how many ex-City players have gone on to ply their trade in the Premiership and how nice it could have been for them to stay and build a team that could actually do something other than mediocre. That is wishful thinking I know but nevertheless we have had too many opportunities thwarted by poor decisions at some level or another to make me think we really mean the business. A survey of ex-players from the last 10 years and the question as to why they left us might answer some of those things that stick in my mind. If you have a true desire to achieve something in the football world then perhaps we are not a destination of choice and again looking back over the same years there have been several that chose greener grass elsewhere.