1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Climate change/ pollution

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by bradymk2, Oct 21, 2022.

1. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Indeed, and more died on the R38 than the Hindenburg, and this happened on the Humber.

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

2. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

I think a French one had the second most and an American one the most.

3. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

4. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Khan was interviewed the other day, and proudly announced that the concentrations in the Underground did not exceed the standards. It would have been interesting to see his response if he was asked to clarify, as currently there are no standards for indoor public exposure.

He also claimed that 99% of experts agree with his 4,000 deaths figure, which is interesting, as the panel that produced the data that underpins it explicitly say it is not accurate or meaningful to use the data that way.

The deceitful weasel.

6. Off The Line

Off The Line Well-Known Member

Is he also lying about drastically cutting the air pollution levels in London?

7. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

It's misleading to say the least.

One check you can do is to look at the reduction in areas around the Country that don't have low emissions zones. If they have achieved a similar reduction, then it's an argument against London's being due to congestion charging.

It's tricky though, as despite having more funding than the rest of the UK combined, they still managed to have really ****ty air quality, so a percentage drop from that level is more marked.

look_back_in_amber likes this.
  8. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

A new 'LEZ' was introduced in Glasgow City Centre yesterday.I'm not sure how successful it will be in improving the air quality but after one day it's causing a huge 'stink' within business and public circles ...

look_back_in_amber and DMD like this.
  9. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Another issue with the LEZ's are the 'other' costs that occur as a consequence. These tend to be not considered fully, or simply ignored.

It's another example of something that sounds good in theory, but the application is often cack handed.

You can't push people out of the private car unless you give them a viable alternative. The bus lanes in Hull are a classic example, where the number of busses available actually decreased as the bus lane length and time increased.

10. Asterix

Asterix Well-Known Member

"All of our electricity comes from 100% renewable sources like wind, solar and biomass."

Why have my bills incresed so much?

Blah, blah, gas prices....blah blah

How and why does that effect my renewably sourced electricity?

More fool me for expecting a rational explanation to that one. Something like, yea, we exagerrated that a bit.

And carbon neutral airlines? I believe the expression is, f**k off, silly c**t.
    Ah, if only sir David Attenbrough would sit and listen, earnestly absorbing the details promoted by big companies on carbon neutrality, and, when his turn comes to speak, he utters the immortal phrase above, and walks out.

balkan tiger likes this.

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you can’t say Lez’s anymore

TwoWrights, Ric Glasgow and DMD like this.
  12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

For a kick off, power generation is around 20% of energy use, which is something they try to avoid mentioning. The amount of energy used by companies signed up to the green tariff, far exceeds the amount of energy that can be produced.

The price of renewables is misleading, as it is heavily subsidised, especially if the full costs are taken account of, and they still need 'other' sources for times that they can't produce.

Another issue is that the way the energy network is set up, it does not allow the renewable companies to reduce their prices, as they are linked to the other sources through the process.

I'm fully in favour of genuine green initiatives, but I do believe that there is a lot of ignorance, arrogance and manipulation at play, that is not producing the best outcomes. This is working against getting a more sustainable world.

One example is the claims of pending deaths, but they never mention that many of those people would not exist at all where it not for the benefits fossil fuels brought. Any replacement needs to be as energy dense, reliable and portable.

As a rule of thumb, if they are using threats and fear to try to encourage you to change your lifestyle, check the data behind it very closely.

13. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

As a rule of thumb, if they are using threats and fear to try to encourage you to change your lifestyle, check the data behind it very closely.[/QUOTE]
    Yep.
    Also, punishment is rarely a good way. Better done by positive encouragement (make cleaner options easier, more efficient, more attractive, cheaper, etc). Instead we have decade after decade of failing public transport and infrastructure and face ever spiralling costs & taxes.
    Can't help but question the motives and also wonder when the country will finally say enough is enough and demand a different approach.
    (Again, not political as the bs & nonsense cuts across both parties).

DMD likes this.
  14. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

I’m been deluged by my electricity and gas supplier to have a not so smart meter. It started with a reasonably pleasant conversation with them when we initially bought this house about 18 months ago, since then we’ve had regular emails and letters telling us that, in so many words, that they NEED to make an appointment to install our government led initiative of having our smart fitted fitted. They can completely get to ****, anything that costs them money, that they’re professing to give away freely is enough for me to decide they can do one!

15. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

One of my Daughters gets this nonsense continually and I've been pestered by EON myself,I just tell them I'm a working man and I'm too busy to allow access.My understanding is they are NOT compulsory but they have targets to achieve for the Government...Tell them to stop pestering you or you'll start looking for an alternative supplier.

Newlandcasual2 likes this.
  16. jhe10

jhe10 Well-Known Member

Good for you. Why would you want a bit of kit that doesn't cost you anything, tells you your power usage in real time, and saves you having to do meter readings (or let anyone in to do them)? Barricade the doors!

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s not costing them anything, it’s gone on our bills, so you’re paying for it without actually getting it.

18. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Re Khan's extended LEZ. This is likely more to do with TFL's repayment of an unplayable debt to this country for money borrowed during the Covid outbreak and subsequent borrowings. Their current debt is some £13 billion. They have also receiving further payments of £1.2 billion from the government (you and me) to cover reduced passenger numbers et al.

Gone For A Walk and DMD like this.
  19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

He is a liar and a liability on so many topics and so many levels, but it is not a topic that can be discussed without breaching this board's rules.

20. Asterix

Asterix Well-Known Member