1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Climate Strike

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by dennisboothstash, Sep 20, 2019.

1. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

I think we could do without almonds and its milk. They are growing them in the drought stricken California but need 1 gallon of water per nut where as cows that produce real milk are grown in the grassy hilly bits of the UK where it rains a lot.

Almonds: crunchy, delicious, and…the center of a nefarious plot to suck California dry? They certainly have used up a lot of ink lately—partly inspired by Mother Jones’s reportingover the past year. California’s drought-stricken Central Valley churns out 80 percent of the globe’s almonds, and since each nut takes a gallon of water to produce, they account for close to 10 percent of the state’s annual agricultural water use—or more than what the entire population of Los Angeles and San Francisco use in a year.

2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

OK to call Trump a moron but not Corbyn, Putin or Abbott?

3. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Exactly. The vegan propaganda doesn't take into account how their food is grown, where it is grown, and the environmental cost, either where it is produced, or how it is transported across the globe.

4. Barchullona

They can perish of dehydration as long as my almond supply is available. I am adopting the Harry, Meghan, Lilly Allen all the other luvvies approach to these things. Everyone else has to change their ways while I carry on as usual.

5. Barchullona

Are the vegans going to slaughter all those animals when they are no longer needed or expect someone else to do it? Or just let them die of starvation?

6. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

They're all morons, but that's not for discussion on here, as well you know.

7. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

I don't really understand this attitude , and you may be joking about it , but a lot of people do think like this.

8. balkan tiger

I read a day or two ago about a farmer (who really should know better) in Aberdeenshire who was going off to drive somewhere, when he fuelled up the car thought he would buy something to nibble on route. Rather than the usual chocolate or sweets he choose a plastic box of strawberries and then went onto social media to complain that they had no taste and were hard.

9. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

That’s what I was saying to Hatem about crop growth, but to be fair Chris Packham will have explained it better than me!

10. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Whooooo!! Dennis stop right there that's overstepping the mark :emoticon-0107-sweat:emoticon-0107-sweat

dennisboothstash likes this.

11. balkan tiger

12. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Do you take supplements? (Serious question as I understand some minerals and nutrients are difficult to get on a vegan diet)

13. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

14. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

2050. Hull under water according to the HDM 2BF3EE62-45F2-4C77-AAA7-77AEAA9B982D.jpeg

15. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

Vegans become vegans for varying reasons. Some for environmental reasons, some because that they are against the farming of animals for morality sake. So their information to promote their cause varies depending on their standpoint.

As another poster wrote, overpopulation, especially in Africa, is the issue and re-wilding/planting trees would offset a lot of the damage done, but no one wants to tell the Third world to stop having children or at least, to have them sustainably.

16. Brucebones

Brucebones Well-Known Member

Wipeout the human race, it’s the only way forward!

17. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

I agree. Human activity is responsible for climate change. Earth without humans would be much cleaner.

Brucebones likes this.
  18. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Blimey, it's not like the HDM to misrepresent things so grossly is it.

19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I think there are some misconceptions about food and health. For example, the incidence of heart disease in the UK and in the USA is far greater than in Japan, where the diet is low in cholesterol. But there is also a low level of heart disease in France, where cholesterol intake is as high as anywhere (think of those 246 varieties of cheese). Obviously the cause of heart disease is not cholesterol but speaking English.

20. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

Western mainstream medical professions backed by governments and food industry giants have been lying to the general public for decades about what is good for health.

Firstly, racial, genetic and geographical factors play a huge part in what our requirements are and vary hugely and secondly, the cheapest 'foods' to mass produce, and hence the most profit, are from refined sugars, grains and seed oils - all what have been promoted in Western societies for 30 odd years now. For decades, we were told that frying/baking food in vegetable/seed oils was healthier and caused lower fat residue in our bodies than using animal fat or saturated fat. The opposite is true, evidenced by that India has the largest incidences of non-alcohol caused fatty liver disease and are largely vegetarian and Hong Kong, the highest content of meat eaters in the world, have some of the lowest.

The 1990s in the UK and US was all about low fat and high carb diets and we're now dealing and paying for a diabetes crisis. There's a whole lot more on this. The number of gluten intolerant people rises year on year as damage is done by cheap processed and refined wheat causing allergies.

Sedentary lifestyles essentially cause much more physiological problems than what is termed a poor diet.