1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coleman

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by smithy in nl, Apr 29, 2018.

1. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Looks like Short has written off the debt.. If this is true it is an amazing gesture..
    Regarding Coleman, I have mixed feelings.. He was working with one hand tied behind his back, but that doesn't explain some of his poor tactical decisions..

Nordic, Saf, gelders pie and 5 others like this.
  2. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Go
    Got to admit it’s one of the most exciting clubs to support <laugh>

gelders pie, SAFCDRUM and MrRAWhite like this.
  3. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

My first reaction of being pleased that Short has finally gone is tempered by the fact that Coleman has been sacked with just 1 game left to play.

I'm totally disgusted by that!!!

4. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

I agree with every word of this!

MrRAWhite likes this.
  5. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

He hasn't been great but his profile is high after the Wales job. That in itself would have attracted players if he'd been given money to spend. I don't see how our new owners can attract anyone better now we're in League 1.

Dorset likes this.
  6. Burly Hurley

Agreed. Whether he's good, bad or indifferent I'm stunned the way he's been treated!

7. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Not fair on the bloke but if there is new owner now is the time to do it. i'd have Mick Mac back.

8. Burly Hurley

Just 1 game to go Bri, they could've let the guy go with a little dignity.

Agree about Mic Mac though.

He could get us back up next season with good financial backing.

Saf likes this.
  9. Brian Storm

Oh he hasn't been treated well.

Saf likes this.
  10. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Fairly disgusted by the timing of this to be honest.

To make the guy box with one if not both hands tied behind his back and to then get rid at this stage of the season is nothing short of a disgrace.

I’m sure the official announcement could have waited a week or so.

Dorset, malagamackem, Saf and 2 others like this.

11. Brian Storm

It's all common practice with takeovers, his departure will have been part of the deal which looks a formality. It's **** for him, but not unexpected. I've been saying for weeks that new owners when they did come in will want their own man. Do we delay a takeover to give him one last game? I'd say no, he's been here a few months and achieved nothing. Really feel for him but we've got a football club to prepare for the new season. We come first for once

12. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Can't believe that people are looking for negatives.. It's a new start for us for goodness sake..

Burly Hurley and flandersmackem like this.
  13. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I agree, we need to look at the bigger picture here. This is a consortium of international investors headed by this bloke. Similar to when Niall Quinn (who lets face it is no billionaire) headed up the Drumaville deal.

MrRAWhite and smithy in nl like this.
  14. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

But surely questioning it is looking at the bigger picture. What does 'international investors' look like? I mean, no one has questioned Short's motivation for writing off the debt. Why would he do that?

Jack TheLad and Saf like this.
  15. quinneristops

quinneristops Well-Known Member

Massive positive for the club. Business done early means a new manager can have the whole Summer to sort out a giant mess. Debt being written off is a great gesture from Short who I feel had good intentions before realising that running a football club was not for him. I feel sorry for Coleman, I liked him as a person but it is a results based business and there was enough talent to avoid relegation but bad luck, bad referees bad injuries and bad decision making were his undoing. Onwards and upwards now but the managerial appointment is a huge decision. It has to be the right person for this great club

Smiffy, Charley Farley and MrRAWhite like this.
  16. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I think we could be caught between a rock and a hard place over the new manager.
    Do we go for a big name and I include Mick Mac in that who have no experience of League 1.
    Or do we go for an experienced manager at League 1 level and risk getting someone who can't handle a club this size as happened to Simon Grayson.
    The big name doesn't guarantee promotion especially with what we have left of our current squad but hope the new owners will invest to provide a promotion push.
    I do feel for Coleman but his decision making hadn't been good in some instances but I thought he was the man to nurture our young players.

If Short has gone then I'm delighted, getting the right manager to excite the fans has to be done correctly cause despite being in League 1giving the fans a winning team will put those missing bums on seats.

I said on another thread we had to get this takeover done within a month I certainly wasn't expecting or to be done within a weekend, exciting times ahead appear to be just around the corner. Fingers Crossed.

17. grimsby mackem

grimsby mackem Well-Known Member

I liked Coleman for the way that he spoke in the press and he just seemed like he really wanted us to do well but he didn't stand much of a chance with the club in the state that it has been over the last year along with a lot of injuries to players that could have made all the difference like Watmore and Mcnair. Having said that he probably should have done better than he has even with the **** that he has had to work with and his tactical decisions have been puzzling at times none more so than persisting with 3 at the back for so long.

Not overly bothered that he won't be the manager for next year but don't really blame him in any way for how we've done this year, the problems at our club have run a lot deeper than a manager who has been there a matter of months, best of look to the bloke in the future.

18. Burly Hurley

Why should we be between a rock and a hard place?

We don't even know who's bought the club yet.

19. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

But we do have to appoint a new manager whoever our new owners are and that is the difficult point I was making.
    Thought I'd explained it fully but maybe not.

20. Burly Hurley

No mate. You explained yourself well.

My point was that there are several posts on this and other threads making assumptions based on existing and past experience.

Until we know who our new owners we've no idea on their own aspirations, plans or intentions.

They may even have the clout to bring a big name manager willing to take a drop in leagues in order to build from scratch.

Highly unlikely, even ridiculous, I know, but to foretell problems before they even exist is just as pointless.