1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Colin next?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

The rumour mill is making loud grinding noises about Neil Warnock being lined up to replace PR Paul.
    Given Warnock's stated aim to retire at the end of this Season this seems to me to be the latest of Evan's desperate sticking plasters doomed for failure from the outset.
    Discuss.

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

If there's not a change in the next few days, by the end of the weekend, then for me it's too late after that for this season and the owner needs to sell up.

3. Fat Boy Slim

Fat Boy Slim Member

I actually think Warnock could do a job for us but I think it's too little too late this season. I also think that he would stay beyond the end of the season if he was given the opportunity. Ok his style of play isn't great but he does get results. I'd take that at the minute.

There's no doubt that Lambert is a dead man walking. Results aren't going to improve under his leadership whether he stays another 6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years. We have played poor for most of the season even when we were top of the league. I like the fact that he tried to galvanise the club when he took over but this now looks more like a smokescreen to cover his own shortcomings than anything else.

Would Evans open his moth infested wallet should Warnock get the gig and stay on past the end of the season? Probably not, but there's probably more chance of that happening for his mate Warnock than there is Lambert.

4. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Would Warnock be any better ? Nobody knows but one thing you can depend on is that it will be a desperate second rater or a short contract sticking plaster, Evans simply will not pay the going rate for anyone that's any good and anyone that's any good won't come here to work with a poor squad and no funds to make the changes required, in fact it will be an even poorer squad when Downes and Woolfy have gone, that's if PL leaves of course.

Nuggets likes this.
  5. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

If Lambert is sacked (don’t think he’ll resign as he won’t get paid out) and we do go for Warnock or an older manager, I would have Chambers as his assistant. Clearly not good enough to be a starter as a player but feel he could offer quite a bit as a coach

fieldmarshall likes this.
  6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

On one hand, is there any chance of Evans paying off 4 1/2 years of contract?

On the other hand has there been a case yet under Evans when the rumour mill didn’t have some truth to it? It’s almost habitual that the press are tipped off before a change happens.

7. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

What's the point? It won't change anything.

Why keep changing the manager when the squad isn't good enough.

Plus is Warnock going to want to come to a club which seems to damage managers reputation as his last job!!

Buckyohare likes this.
  8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

This move would be a temporary sticking plaster on a broken club set-up and a heavily damaged season. Warnock is a better and more successful manager than Lambert, so in that respect I can see Evans' temptation to try and salvage the season. But the damage has been done and Warnock's style of football would be a poor fit for this squad. We're already resorting to long ball football and it's clearly not working. Who'd be the Warnock target man? Will Keane? Both Norwood and Jackson do not seem to suit direct football. We are eight points off the play offs and we've played at least one game, often two, more than our competitors. Warnock is 71 and has openly admitted that he'd like to retire this summer. At best he'll stay a year.

Short of Evans reducing his asking price and having a better owner take over, the main hope is that we get this season over and done with and look to completely overhaul the running of the club. Unfortunately, due to the extent of the decline at the club, we're not exactly an attractive proposition. By failing to achieve promotion this season, to the extent it looks like we'll miss the play offs completely (a massive failure, in my opinion), further cuts are going to be made. Firstly, the wage bill will be reduced from the highest in the division to possibly around the 3rd to 6th mark when you account for the three relegated teams. This will likely mean Downes or Wolfenden (hopefully not both) will be sold off. Secondly, the academy will face further cuts. There are already widespread issues with academy funding and scouting has been cut. We're also taking on academy players who pay for their spot in the team, something that is obviously not meritocratic or in line with the club's traditional culture. Thirdly, the much-needed refresh around Portman Road and small bits like cleaning the roof have been long promised, but still unfulfilled. A reflection of Evans' empty words approach to running the club. Finally, Lee O'Neill appears hopelessly out of his depth and is a Director of Football in name only. Awarding Lambert a five year contract was naive at best, disastrous at worst. Evans can spend or invest whatever he likes in this division without breaching FFP. What he cannot do is invest in the playing squad and wages outside SCMP. So, in theory, he could continue to fund the academy, refresh the facilities, and change the off-field running of the club without incurring penalties. Will he do that though? Highly, highly unlikely.

On the pitch, I think it's fair to say Lambert has been a failure. I can certainly appreciate that he's been hampered by a poorly run club on a decline and that his record in the transfer window has been mostly positive, but he's got a squad containing experienced Championship players, international caps, and highly-regarded youngsters that should be doing better than what it is. This team should not be finishing outside the play offs. And it's not like we're 9th but we've been playing well or showing signs of progress. He's been in charge for a year and a half and still has no idea on his best team, formation, or system. We have no discernible approach to attacking bar some milquetoast sedate possession in our own half and aimless long balls forward. He's been tactically outwitted by a string of recently retired players and journeyman coaches. He has failed to beat a semi-decent side in this division. In my opinion, it's clear we need somebody like a Nathan Jones to ideally come in now, see what they make of the team and squad, and make hard decisions over the next two or three transfer windows.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  9. Nuggets

Redruth likes this.
  10. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I like the sound of Nathan Jones, however think he's a little green to take on the job here as Paul Hurst was and it was too much.

As Marcus Evans has no accountability to anyone else nor is he really a figure head we need a manager with broad shoulders. And whatever side of the coin you are in terms of Lambert he appears to be able to handle the pressure which comes with our situation

11. Nuggets

Four wins in 26 odd games suggests otherwise, in my opinion. Although I take the point the players are also culpable for the disastrous form. This was a team that was top of the table for a sustained period of time early in the season and also as recently as a couple of months ago. This is not a division containing many good teams, so it feels like an opportunity missed if we cannot even finish in the top six. There does seem to be an issue with a 'winning mentality' at the club, and that should be set by the owner and then both implemented and ensured by the manager and the coaching staff.

I'd agree that Lambert pushed Evans last summer for some transfer activity, and managed to acquire a few additional signings at the end of August which he probably would not have got if he hadn't been so public in his pressure. It's tempting to think, possibly a little simplistically, that since Lambert was awarded the five year contract, he's been a lot more complacent and accepting of the underlying issues at the club. Possibly safe in the knowledge that he's due a big compensation pay out.

12. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

Evans is the issue, while he is here the club is going nowhere.

Buckyohare likes this.
  13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Yeah great tune

14. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

He’s been gone too long

15. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

I think we’re fcukd as long as Evans owns the club. I had hope this year, not much, but hope we’d be competitive and have a ‘plan’ both on and off the pitch to drive the club forward. But we don’t. There is no plan. The plan is; spend nothing and eek out what you can. That’s not a plan.

sure, it’s tough being a football owner. But if you don’t like the reality of football ownership then ‘DONT BUY A FOOTBALL CLUB’. Buy an island in the Bahamas. Richard Branson never bothered with the hassle of football, not his thing. But if u do buy a football club you need to prepare to pump your hard earned millions in. Fact. Especially in our crazy leagues.

PL hasn’t been great, True, but I think with a club falling apart (literally; the roof ain’t even been cleaned??) there’s just no ‘buoyancy’ or bubble of momentum in the club. We have no sense of direction as a club and that’s really depressing.

Losing that excellent RB he signed to injury has been a huge loss btw. He gave the team attacking options and belief in a way of playing that wasn’t just ‘hoof it up the pitch.’

so disappointed. Warnock isn’t the answer to our problems. We need an ambitious owner, until then u get Pep or Fergie in charge and we’d still be ****e.

San Diego and itfcptc like this.