1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Comings and Goings January 2017

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 15, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see that, now this time of year is almost upon us once more, that Adams is being pragmatic in terms of possible losses from his squad. He rightly says that if anyone comes in with the right kind of money then we, as in Argyle, would sell a player whoever it was. He doesn't want to see anyone go but that's the way it is. He also rightly says that if your team is at the right end of the table and have been for most of the season then it is inevitable that scouts will come to see why. No matter how much we the supporters scream and shout about this player or that we all know that in reality that's the way it is.

So we will take it as read that we don't want to see virtually all of the squad go. I would guess there are one or two we wouldn't lose too much sleep over but those are prabably the least likely on anyone's list of wanted anyway. Who is likely to be on the radar of others.

Carey - I would guess he would be at the top of most people's list of both could get an offer for and not wanting to see him go at any price.

Bradley - I think he has been brilliant so far this season. Would be a massive miss for us if anyone came calling.

Purrington - Less likely than the other two above but has been touted as under scrutiny by scouts this season. Would like him to stay and develope further but if decent offer then we could replace.

Jervis - Would be surprised, although he has done quite well this season, if anyone came in for him anyway. Seems to do better for Adams than anyone else.

I think the rest are a decent squad filler without being on the radar of the world as a target. It's not that I don't rate them it's more they don't stand out as individual match winners.

As for incoming we all know about one possible target via Newport by way of a loan from Cardiff but there isn't a decent rumour on anyone else except Wylde who just doesn't excite me at all. I think we will be more holding our breath about outgoings than the opposite way.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

And we shouldn't know either...... If it wasn't for Mr. Discretion aka Graham Westley, we wouldn't about Rhys Healey. You've missed the worst departure we could suffer: Derek Adams, Not only does he seem to have the knack of obtaining decent players on a budget and turning out winning sides, he represents the club in a very professional way. He hasn't put a foot wrong in incidents with Ainsworth, Westley or Paul Cook and I don't think you'll be hearing any transfer rumours from him.

Carey has to be a risk. What's interesting though is that he's 27 and has played only 230 senior games, of which 67 have been for us in the 2 years he's been here. Before he came here, he'd scored 15 in 163 games. He's scored 21 in 67 games for PAFC. It isn't a glittering career apart from his time at Home Park. Why's that? His work rate doesn't make him a luxury player by any means: considering his value to us I wish sometimes he wouldn't charge about chasing the ball and diving into tackles quite so much. Adams' management? The level he's playing at?

I'd have thought Purrington's more likely to go than Bradley. Bradley's career has been very much in League 2 and whilst he's playing well at the moment, I wouldn't say our defence has been a stand-out feature as a unit. There have been quite a few silly goals conceded and it seems to have been more or less accepted that the defence were responsible for the 3 recent three defeats. That isn't all Bradley's fault of course but he is a major player back there. Purrington on the other hand has that illusive "promise" which we've previously noted, many clubs with more money than sense are willing to take a chance on.

There's also the question of our loanees of course.... will they stay or will they go?

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rumours at present over Nathan Blissett a Torquay striker....talk of a deal being done....can Adams see something that know one else can....maybe just a fill in for a month or so to cover striker injuries.

Also Ross Jenkins.....just played for our U21's....probably the same one we had on loan for two games in 2012/13 season....been playing abroad....mid-fielder.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Never heard of this lad. There again I hadn't heard of Ryan Brunt either so I'm not about to let not knowing colour any judgement. Believe he is 6' 4" and that is something we haven't already got upfront. Still, it's December so we will have to wait and see. Not a player to splash the Liverpool cash on though is he. Old Brenty will be sleeping on that. Literally probably.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Talk of PAFC being interested in Jacub Sokolik Czech defender...23 years old...6ft 1in tall.

Just finishing this Saturday a short contract at Southend......last played early December.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Adams has now said that he is looking at possibly 3 signings in this window to "strengthen" the side. He won't say what positions these players might occupy which is normal for the man anyway. He is not expecting any signings to be very very early in the window so we can relax for a short time wondering anyway. No doubt there will be the usual amount of rumour and speculation as with the 2 plym mentions above. Not a bad thing for the whole squad to be looking over their shoulder at possible competition for their position. It may serve to focus attention rather than get totally carried away with Anfield.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Tanner and Garita will be finished with their loans very shortly.....will Adams soldier on without them until late in january...maybe some movement there.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was anticipating both of those to carry on plym. Think both benefit from being here so can't see why the parent club would want that to end.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Torquay have been leaving Nathan Blissett out of their team....firming up possibilities that he is on the way out....to Plymouth ?

Jacub Sokolik seems also to be more than a rumour....talk from his last club Southend seems to suggest he's on his way.

Ross Jenkins having played recently for our U21's ?....gone quiet...but might be a done deal anyway.

10. notDistantGreen

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Same as most of the signings he made pre season. Injured for a fair bit of time last season. We need some defensive cover and this should be reasonable at worst. No surprise with the signing as it was forecast on pasoti rumour board a while back.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sounds like Nathan Blissett as well tomorrow from Torquay.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

To be fair I never judge until I've seen but you have to say that Argyle never quite bust the expectation level with their signings do they. As always though I will judge at a later date.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams has mentioned more than once now....that his budget for the season has already been set.

So any windfall from the Nelson payment, or Cup run, or two lots of TV money...ain't coming his way.....this gets the "Brent out" brigade becoming hysterical that it's going straight into his pension pot.....PAFC are at times there own worst enemy for starting rumours and doing things the wrong way..........the disaster of releasing Liverpool tickets before the Wycombe game causing kick-off to be put back to 3.15pm comes to mind.

I'm sure there's a job here for our friend Lindy in Public Relations.....something that PAFC are poor at......that's why I buy away tickets directly from the away Club....simple and easy.....and they keep in touch afterwards....something that Argyle never did when I bought Home Park tickets after a long struggle direct from them two seasons back.

The only time in recent years I've been in the away end was when I met Joe at Dag & Red and he had brought my ticket up with him.....that was the game when Brunt equalized in the dying seconds to save our embarrassment......also when Carey went off injured and missed a string of matches.

15. notDistantGreen

Starnes (the man who runs the football club as a business) has also said the club will back Adams requests during the January window.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

If that is so great......but why would Adams repeat the comment that his budget is already set for this season....if there might be a possibility that he might get some extra from the Cup run ?

17. notDistantGreen

One of Adams' attributes is that he's a corporate man. He's said outright that we'll hear about signings after they are made and not before. The same applies to what money's available.

18. notDistantGreen

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Wow....£15,000 for a striker.....that's a days pay for most ordinary players in in the Premiership.

Lets hope that there is more significant action before the end of season please.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't scoff plym the fact we have paid a fee at all is something to behold. Torquay need the cash so it would probably have been higher if they could afford to hold out. Remember Argyle prices when we were at our lowest and the clubs that came in to pick over the carcus. Premiership clubs pay more for one player that the entire budget ofr all of league 2 clubs in a year. In case you hadn't noticed it's been like that for quite a while now.

Again with this player, I have no idea about him so will wait and see.