1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Comings and Goings January 2017

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree Lyndy.....Adams can see the potential....he'll get him fit and motivated....he was obviously unhappy at Shrewsbury.....what he did at Fleetwood during their promotion season was outstanding.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Not overly impressed with the latest signing given that the club as £1.25m it didn't know it would have at the start of the season and possibly more to come from Hourihane. I'm not suggesting it should all be spent but a bit wouldn't hurt to complete the promotion push.

However, in Adams I trust, so I fully expect to be proved wrong. He has had 2 years in League 1 (88 games) so he he must offer us something and January is a bad time to be splashing the cash.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I think as a Free Agent Antoni Sarcevic could be a canny acquirement.....if Adams can get him up to speed.

4. notDistantGreen

Adams has said he looks fit having trained with Argyle before the signing as completed.

I must say there are positive comments out there from those who remember him playing for Fleetwood.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wanting Brent to spend money notdistant????? You're beginning to sound like me. I doubt Adams will see much of it this season. Not sure he needs it either to be honest.

6. homepark_hobo

homepark_hobo Member

I think Derek has had a good ratio of success from his free signings - he does seem to get the best out of most players.

We spent a bit of money on Blissett but from reading the news today, I don't think we will be getting any more permanent players in this window - perhaps a loan till the end of the season for someone.

7. notDistantGreen

I'm not in favour of boards simply trying to buy success because it's not sustainable for the individual club and leads to an arms race which could bring down any number of clubs in a domino effect.

However, we are already very well placed to get automatic promotion and a resulting uplift in income from TV and hopefully attendances that goes with it. On the downside, we have a rash of injuries but we've got some un-budgeted cash in the bank. If you aren't willing to spend a little bit to get to the finishing line in those circumstances, then you never will be.

8. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Mr Trump likes Boards.. water boards.. :emoticon-0146-punch

I think we should buy a few in to get us up.. it will be a big failure now not to go up automatically .. there would be some un happy people... :emoticon-0165-muscl

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Look I've been telling you for ages now that Brent doesn't spend money and has no intention of doing so. When we had the debt his excuse was repaying that even though his statement was 50% was going to that cause. No sign much that we spent the other 50% on the football bit though. Now we don't have the debt he won't spend any of the 100%. At least we agree that if we flop and don't go up this time there will be many fingers pointing in that direction. Rightly so in my book and the crowds next season may just reflect it too. Bankers speculate to accumulate but their practice is to do it with other people's money not their own. He doesn't quite get the concept when it's his pocket.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Struggling Rotherham are showing interest in Ben Purrington......I cannot see any reason why he would go their....possibly playing them next season the way things stand at the moment.

Of course Rotherham have got a nice new completed stadium.....maybe Ben would like to see what a new finished stadium looks like......it's only talk at Home Park.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Rumours going around Oxford fans that....,.,.,.,.Ryan Taylor might be on his way to Plymouth......6ft 2in.....28 yrs old....striker.

Left out of Oxford's team today...although he scored in his last start.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems that it could be happening......Oxford didn't play Taylor today in their 3-0 FA Cup win over Newcastle.....they where hinting that he could be gone by Monday morning.

PS.....Curtis Nelson scored their second goal.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've been reading some of the Purrington stuff on pasoti. Have to say when I first read it on here I thought.....nah. But having read it on there I can actually believe it probably will happen.

Why would we sell? £650k reported or being bandied about. That plus a sell on clause of course so Brent might think that's worth it. Why would he go or want to? At first glance it's a fair question but if they have money to chuck about then he would no doubt treble his wages there at least. What does he have to lose if they get relegated. Nothing is the answer as he will have a contract for the wages anyway and would have been playing in league one at best if he stayed.

I am not going to hold my breath he will stay no matter how much I would rather he did.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's looking like the Purrington story has legs so I think we can expect an announcement tomorrow sometime. Pity but that's the way things go.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ben Purrington has agreed a three and half year deal with Rotherham and will be having a medical today.

The disappointing point is that PAFC have agreed a fee of only £300,000 for him....nowhere near the talked about fee of £650,000....how unearth is that good business for a promising left-back of 20 yrs old......have we got further chances of income from this sale if he moves on or plays so many games for them......why sell him for so little.....very disappointing personally.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ryan Taylor has signed a contract....he has left Oxford on a free.... having had his contract cancelled by mutual consent.....no mention of how long his contract is for.

Derek Adams also said he is expecting one more signing before the window closes......a winger from a Championship club which has been on going for a few weeks.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Taking awhile to confirm this one.... seeing it was lined up for a medical this morning.

Talk suggests that Purrington wanted to move on anyway.....even a failing Championship side will be paying far higher wages than he got at Argyle.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

CONFIRMED....undisclosed amount.....three and half year deal.

19. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I think pretty much any deal for a young player will include sell on fees. Assuming there is a decent add-on clause I actually think this isn't a bad bit of business for Argyle. I quite liked him, but equally I never thought he was particularly outstanding. The consensus of opinion seems to be that he wanted away, longer contract and more money as well no doubt.
    Taylor coming in is interesting, I'll see what tomorrow brings before casting judgement on the 'window'-for me its been okay so far.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A promised winger by Adams will complete our January shopping.....he says an on going situation with a Championship Club ?......must be our friend Warnock.