1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

CONFIRMED: Saints sign Ibrahima Diallo.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Oct 2, 2020.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

According to a French friend, 'Tonnerre de Brest!' (the original comment) literally means 'Thunder of Brest' but in this instance it's figurative and means 'bolt from the blue from Brest' if you were to draw a parallel to an English equivalent. Guess they didn't anticipate sudden news of an agreed fee with Saints.

2. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Are Brest in Ligue 1 or 2?

3. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Ligue 1. They were promoted to the top tier in 2019 after a six-year absence and have remained there since.

4. Piri Weepu

Piri Weepu Well-Known Member

Looks like a really promising player, an out-and-out defensive mid who can carry the ball well. I still think we may lack a creative playmaker type to break down teams when we dominate possession. As I wrote this, hypochondriac on SW who’s been a bit ITK this year says that he wouldn’t be surprised if we got Ntcham as well.

5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Yes

6. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Great signing from Brest to be fair. Let's hope he doesn't make a tit of himself.

(Sorry had to be done #IamStill12YearsOld )

7. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Yep, if I were a betting man, I'd say there's going to be a second new arrival too...

8. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

This was interesting. Very well regarded and compared to Kante frequently. He’s very fast and a great cover midfielder which is a good fit for our central two.

The thing he has which nobody else in that position does for us, is that he loves to break the lines with his speed, dribbling and carrying the ball forward. That’s been a big deficiency in the PEH/JWP axis in that neither of them had the ability to do that unless it was in the form of lower percentage long passes. If Diallo can carry the ball out and bring defenders and deeper opposition midfielders in to press him it should help make space for the likes of Redmond/Armstrong and the others in our attacking unit. Good signing.

They think he has a higher ceiling of ability than his brother too. Looks a good signing but probably one to exercise patience with.

9. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Can’t say I know a lot about him.....is he any good? One for the future? Or straight into the starting lineup?

10. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

It's important we bring in a Numbe 10 type midfielder., I haven't seen too much of Ntcham to judge whether he would be good in that role., But we do need someone there to compete with and keep the legs fresh for stuey.

11. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Jackson Irvine <diva>

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Probably sounds better en Francais

13. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

I'm assuming if we were to get another in it would be to replace Boufal - should he actually leave of course.

14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

15. SaintInKuwait

Ntcham is that type. He’s got some similar qualities to Armstrong. Goal threat, technical attacking midfielder who loves to get in the box and take a shot. Doesn’t have Stu’s work rate but as people in Scottish football have said, he also hasn’t really had to work that hard. I personally think he’s got more ability than he’s shown in working against the ball but just hasn’t really had the impetus.

Also it would really fit with every player we’ve ever had from them in that we’ve known about it for ages and it took forever to actually come off!

16. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of the last player we signed with Monaco on their CV....

..seriously though, I know nothing about this guy but wish him well assuming the deal gets done. It seems this is one of two quite close to completing.

17. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

18. SaintInKuwait

Reading a few more articles about him this lad seems perfect for us. Young talent who fits the tactical type but raw enough that big teams won’t be willing to take the risk yet. Think a Gueye/Kante type who needs a middle man club on their way to their big career breakthrough. This is exactly where we need to be putting our money right now.

Also a player who will likely leave in a few more years for a really whopper fee. I love it.

19. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

Feels like we're getting back to how we used to operate in the transfer market.

20. BackFromBeyond

BackFromBeyond Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Apparently he dosen't get passed much and he doesn't seem to make fouls. The host says "Well, he couldn't play for Man City, then" (Due to their propensity for fouls). Are we not now the top dogs for that? Sangare pops up as well, as a yardstick of how Diallo can hold his own in midfield against the "beast" of Toulouse.

Also worth listening to for how "Brest" is pronounced in a slightly appalled manner

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020