1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Confirmed: Saints sign Kyle Walker-Peters Permanently!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Dont forget that Cedric also gave a Billy big bollocks interview saying how he wanted a move. I think Ralph has issues with his character. He didnt buy into his philosophy from the start.

2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I feel similar to you about it. It seems to be purely (or at least primarily) a financial decision to me and not a football decision. It's a risk from a footballing perspective, leaving us short at RB and with less experience. KWP may turn out to be brilliant, but right now he's barely played for a few seasons and is somewhat of an unknown. And Walewy was struggling early in the season (as most of the team were tbf) and has been out of action for several months. That's not to mention that Cedric sometimes covered LB when Bertrand was out because we don't have any cover on that side either.

It could turn out to be fine, maybe KWP will hit the ground running and Walewy will reappear and we'll have the future English and French RBs battling it out for a starting berth. But it feels like a risk to me based on a small financial gain in the short term (maybe we'll finish lower in the table because of this and lose money).

Looking forward to hearing how I'm just crying about Cedric leaving again.

3. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Ah, now I can post again. It's been a funny couple of days. :)

4. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

I don’t get it. ****ing nuts. Playing best he has for a while & we take KWP who Spuds say is pants. He’s only on loan, so if we do make him better, Spurs will screw us if we want to buy. And how the **** we’re letting Cedric go on loan is beyond me. I give up. Jeez do we need a “Levy” type at the helm.

5. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Tin hat time Gary. The puritans are coming.

garysfc likes this.
  6. lewebster

lewebster Well-Known Member

Apparently as soon as Cedric knew of arsenal interest, he was up for the move, so I think we have actually done the best thing. We've got rid of him, got a bit of money in and signed a short term replacement for him.

What is the issue? Good management I would say!

We have had some really good right backs over the years, Cedric would not make the cut.

7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

14 games left. Cedric is currently injured for 3-4 weeks Ralph said. Yep, we have a little break in there, but my bet is that we would play him for maybe 5 games tops if Valery is back.

Don't see the issue myself with him going out on loan.

8. garysfc

Sorry, have I missed something? How much have we got for him?
    Edit: Looks just a season end loan, so I assume you feel “got a bit of money” is the wage saving!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  9. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

He says on the Arsenal web site that the move nearly happened a couple of years ago. So his desire to play there is not recent. For me this embodies what a professional he is. Despite that ambition he has always given us 100% and I think he still has a lot of quality not fully appreciated by Saints fans. We've made the right decision to cash in early (esp. as he is injured anyway!) but I think he will do well in London and the fans will love him. Good luck to the fella and thanks for some great memories.

9043graham likes this.
  10. garysfc

So as someone said earlier, Valery’s been sidelined by maybe injuries/attitude/sickness for quite a while, has only just returned to training & now he’s in for LFC & Spurs games? Hummmm.

11. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

CEDRIC has completed his loan move to Arsenal in a deal that will bag Saints around £5m.
    The Gunners agreed to a £3.5m loan fee and will also pay the defender’s wages until the end of the season which will cost in the region of £1.5m.
    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18201453.cedric-left-southampton-join-arsenal/

garysfc and lewebster like this.
  12. 9043graham

9043graham Well-Known Member

Left a classy message.
    Good luck to the guy, had some rocky patches but for the most part gave his all.

We move on.

13. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

The only other Right Back appears to be Oludare Olufunwa an 18 year old and he has amassed two appearances in the Under 23's Premier League 2 side.

14. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. 1.5million wages for half a season. That can't be even close to being right!

15. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

My understanding is that he’s been keeping his fitness up at Staplewood and joined the rest of the squad for training toward the end of last week. So he’s had a full week working with the team.

16. 9043graham

9043graham Well-Known Member

It may include bonuses or such like.
    Either way its done, we 've saved wages and can now plan for summer recruitment.

17. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Good luck Cedric - I liked him !

18. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

I liked him too. Better warn those in row EE at the Emirates to watch out if he gets the ball just outside the box,. But I liked him.

9043graham likes this.
  19. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

I'm ok with this, and share similar sentiments to others. Good pro, terrible crosser. Recent assist to Long aside!

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Good luck Cedders. Not the greatest, but decent enough and always put in a shift.