1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Congratulations JWP and Nathan

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Mar 16, 2017.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

"He's one of our own, he's one of our own, apart from being from pompey, he's one of our own."

Congratulations Prowsey and Nat.

Have your own thread.

:)

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Nivea boy will be in their ears come the squad meeting up... <whistle>

In seriousness though, congratulations to both, fully deserved and both have been among our better players since the turn of year, particuarly Redmond.

I can't see JWP getting on the pitch, but certainly see Redmond getting some minutes.

3. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Sheephead was always going to call them up at some point, hopefully Jack Stephens too in the future.

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I like that. Poor old Southgate. <laugh>

5. TheSecondStain

I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but yeah, going to have to watch for that. Thank goodness Manolo is bleedin' Italian. Not too many Italian captains in Liverpool or Manchester. Besides which Graziano recommended US.
    If we remember - Lambert, Lallana, Rodriguez, Shaw - all gone come the end of that season, bar JayRod as he was badly crocked.

6. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Libby likes this.
  7. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Wow. This is amazing. Congratulations boys!!!

fatletiss and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  8. TheSecondStain

On the BBC Football website, a 17 year old teenager from Liverpool was selected for Wales and got his own headlined article. Being Liverhampton FC, of course, he was bound to. JWP and Redmond got bundled into the article text under the headline that announced the return of Defoe of Sunderland. Oh the bleeding ignominy. :steam:

Frankly Beeb, you could and should have done better. :emoticon-0149-no:

Personally, I am rather chuffed for the lads. :emoticon-0148-yes:

9. fatletiss

"Nord" is a little less offensive!

10. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Ward-Prowse is probably the most improved player in the Southampton squad now that he has had a run of games and I think he needs to be tested at full international level. Redmond selection is not in the least surprising. Forster's call up is surprising and I am not convinced that is is warranted. Ben Foster should have been given the nod over him.

The England injury list would make a pretty impressive starting eleven. It is fascainting to see that the squad no longer features so many regulars from the big clubs and where the likes of Man Utd have had players selected, they are all fringe players. However, I think Rashford is the most exciting prospect and glad to see him chosen over Rooney. From the football I have seen this season, I think that the bulk of the England squad looks like it should be selected from Spurs.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.

11. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Brilliant new, there has been a bit of a media campaign for Redders over recent months but glad Southgate noticed JWPs considerable progress this season.
    Share others nervousness about exposing two more lads to the Big Boys Recruitment Camp

12. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

I'm just so delighted they have been taken out of the intelligence of the Saints set up so they can fart around with the pricks who don't deserve to be anywhere near the England squad, only for us all to look on in dismay as they don't see any game time and the usual turds underperform in their place.

Yay, I simply can't wait...

13. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

If either or both get on the pitch, trust the Engerland fans will chant:

"Are you watching, Liverpool?"

Really pleased. As a character, JWP is an English Morgan for me. Very bright, and his own person. He'll go to one of the big clubs if that's what he wants on his own terms, not because someone breathes in his ear. Nathan is clearly enjoying his football, and just keeps getting better. Hopefully he'll have noticed that grass is not always greener (on the subject of the unfortunate Morgan!).

Good luck, lads, then come back and help us up that table. Next season we'd like you to have two Wembley appearances and gain a place in Europe. Remember, the future's bright - it's red and white.

So that's them signed for West Brom by the end of the summer then!

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Well we're guaranteed one trip to Wembley next season so let's hope for 3/4 :)

15. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Nice to see 4 Academy players in the squad- and 9 who have played for Saints.

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Redmond would always have been noticed and eventually get a chance. Prowsie could easily have been overlooked as his talents and good points are more subtle....no storming forward goals for him. I knew he had a real chance when Southgate got the job as he is an admirer of James. I am glad that Southgate has made it clear from the start that they will play for the U21s in the summer. I believe in a strong U21s and have hated how poorly we have done in tournaments with our best players called up early to the senior squad and sitting out important U21 tournaments. Winning builds confidence...can only be good if the core of the senior squad had already won the European U21s title, for instance. Telling them from the start means that neither will feel they are being demoted and prevents tantrums....not that our lads are like that....we leave that to the big club players.

Missing Lambo likes this.
  17. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Do you think they have it written into their contracts that they have to be nice young men and can string more than two words together? A number of mates who support other clubs have commented on how well Saints players present in interviews. I know that they do media training, but so must other clubs.

I am particularly impressed by JWP. Any footballer who can use words like "conducive" and "pejorative" as happily as his well rehearsed "absolutely" and "yes, of course" (two stock SFC responses) is pretty unusual. Always feel with him that what he may lack in raw talent he makes up for in intelligence.

Claude has clearly developed both of these players and it's another one to tick on our man's CV.

KillerCephalopod and fatletiss like this.
  18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Character is mentioned as one of the things that Saints look out for in players....i.e. no dickheads*. In the Academy, that can be taught if you are given a young lad eager to progress. They punish youngsters by withdrawing playing privileges....the only thing that really hurts. Treat the lads with respect, fill them with hope and they learn that positive behaviour gets positive results. Must be much harder if your catchment area is a seedy city area, where they remain influenced by their old friends.

*there have been dishonourable exceptions.

19. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Part of the southampton way is to not only develop the kids in the academy into great footballers but also great people. They are well educated on site and I believe the way our academy lads come across pays testament to this.
    However, I think because of the "all footballers are idiots" stereotype, all it takes is one player to just be relatively well spoken and people will start thinking he is a genius!

20. fatletiss

Oh no! Aliens have morphed Ian and Ides together! I'm not sure I'll cope <laugh>