1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Postecoglou & Lange (& Paratici) Watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Apr 19, 2021.

?

Next gaffer, who's your preference?

1. Arne Slot

2. Ruben Amorim

3. Luis Enrique

4. Ange Postocoglou

5. Brendan Rodgers

6. Graham Potter

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

And no one here has said they know better than Conte but they’re fed up of the football he’s playing and fed up of some of the players he keeps playing.

But you’re now trying to act like a voice of reason and calling people’s posts bollocks or knee jerk. As I said, huge amount of hypocrisy.

KingHotspur likes this.
  2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

OK DH let;s cool this, as I said stick to the views. I thought you have been critisiising Conte by claiming he should pick this or that player. There is a difference from saying Emerson is **** to saying Conti is **** for picking him. One is criticising the player on the field the other is criticising the manager for decisions made without knowing why he made them.

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Right, time to chuck a little gasoline on this fire...

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Both are worthy of criticism. Practically no one wants to see Emerson play (just look at today's match thread already), where as people are criticising Conte for continuously picking him despite having alternatives, it's similar for other positions and players too.

Our fans now have an anti-Emerson chant... I hate that but it shows the discontent there is surrounding his selection.

5. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Those stats can be misleading though.

6. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> Do you live in the UK? when were the majority ever right?

You are still missing the distinction. It's not just about Emerson playing it's what happens if he doesn't and why. You are coming back to me with same argument, clearly our positions are not changing.

Conti needs our support.

7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

And your opinion is that Conti should go <doh>

8. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

Will you say this if we lose today?

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

If he doesn't play then we don't have to witness an awful footballer that contributes to our right flank being a black hole for any footballing enjoyment and we can give someone else the chance to do better. You never know if they'll do better or not but if we don't take the chance we'll never know, it's also hard to imagine they'd be any worse though. Imagine if Pochettino never caved to fan pressure to bring on Kane at Villa Park and we persisted with Soldado and/ or Adebayor that season.

KingHotspur likes this.
  10. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Of course because as I said I want to see us stick with Conti long term. That means going through this right now.

I almost expect us to lose today because of the circumstances that led to our recent run of results still being in play.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.

11. KingHotspur

Because he’s annoying me with his interviews, actions, tactics and selections.

He’s a good manager but paid a huge amount of money yet is acting hard done by and moaning that fans aren’t happy by the dross served up recently.

12. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

Dreams have come true for my generation and in those days we had just the one manager for years. Continuity paid off big time. No subs either. Thats something else I cannot understand now that according to Conte Harry K is supposed to be tired! OK, so maybe they play more games now but back then it was the same team week in & week out throughout the season plus they often had several FA cup replays. I love Harry & am not knocking him & have not heard him say he's tired but a super fit young man, not half way though the season tired!!!! Why does our manager say this, anyone know?

13. Tilly'sowner

Training back in the day meant going for a fag and beer. So they weren’t being pushed too hard in between games doing intensive training.

BobbyD and KingHotspur like this.
  14. KingHotspur

Yeah complete different game, the demands on a modern footballer at the highest level are huge.

Always makes me laugh when people say a Sunday league footballer will work Monday-Friday, get pissed on Saturday and still play Sunday morning like it’s the same as playing in the PL

15. maggie blanchflower

So, in your opinion our greatest ever side achieved all that including first English European trophy on fags & beer! Now we know where Conte is going wrong ----to much intensive training! If that is what makes Harry tired why arn't they all knackered?

Alfie Conn likes this.
  16. Tilly'sowner

The ones that are playing all the time are knackered or injured, possibly due to being over worked. Look at our players who pretty much play every game. They are simply over exerted. Those that are rotated are managing okay.

As for fag and beer back in the day, it was a tad tongue in cheek but the point was, training, fitness levels and frequency of matches were in a different league compared to today. Footballers today are pushed to the limit of what the human bodies can endure. Remember the sprinting the spurs players did in South Korea after playing a match in the summer? It was brutal and madness.

17. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Comparing football and footballers from different eras is very difficult. Football in the 60s was a very different sport to the one that is played today in so many ways.

Todays players are certainly more 'in tune' with their bodies as we all should be as we know so much more about nutrition and the effects of the aforementioned smoking and drinking. I think players in the 60s did get tired, but do you think BIll Nick would allow anyone to use that as an excuse, not a chance.

But this season has been particularly punishing I am not sure that players have ever had to play 2 games per week over such a prolonged spell. FIFPRO the players union have been outspoken on the subject and their report highlights Tottenham and South Korea forward Son Heung-min, who played more than 600 minutes of football in October with games every three or four days.

It says he completed more than 146,000km of international travel with club and country since the beginning of last season, crossing 132 time zones.

I expect that Harry played even more minutes than Sonny who is taken off late in games more frequently.

18. maggie blanchflower

All I can say is that back in the day our players didn't have the luxory of being rotated, it was the same 11 constantly unless of course someone was injured. They were in many various cup runs too, often with umpteen replays & the European stuff meant much travel abroad and not in the luxurios state of the art transpo they have today! The fact that they didn't have high tec training facilities, just a plain old gym
    is all the more credit to those old timers for what they achieved, in my view. As you said 'footballers today are pushed to the limit etc', well wheres the fun in that, its all just about money now. Danny Boy & his wonderful team will always be my No.1 Team <ok>

19. Tilly'sowner

i completely agree with you. Those were the days when men were proper men!

Diego likes this.
  20. maggie blanchflower

So true. None of this rolling over & over, just got up & got on with it. :emoticon-0148-yes:
    Love your dogs by the way...

Tilly'sowner likes this.