1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Contract talks.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Derek Adams has once again approached Graham Carey's agent to open talks on extending his contract beyond next summer,

His agent said that Graham wanted to keep his options open at the moment the same answer he gave Adams last summer when approached.......Carey could leave free next summer once his contract expires.

If interest was shown in the January window we would only sell him if a very good offer came in....hopefully he will at least be with us until the end of the season.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The info being given out is I believe in response to fans asking the questions about carey and why don't the club do this or that. Everyone is cagey in league 2 these days both clubs and players. Nobody wants to jump any gun and sign or offer anything just in case things happen beyond expectations. The club may not be where it wants to be or expects to be at the end of the season and the players always believe Barca are about to phone. In some ways you can't blame either can you. I think they are telling us the info to satisfy people at the least something is being asked or considered.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

All the club can do is keep in the top three! If we do go up then you'd hope that we'd be in with a chance of keeping him. Obviously he'd need to be made a generous offer but I think he and family are settled here, so provided we matched the cash, there'd be benefits in staying put.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We have money so there should be no excuse not to be able to offer him enough if we want him that badly. I don't think we need him at any cost though even if we prefer him to be here rather than somewhere else.

I read something the other day of Goodwillie which I found a bit interesting and it gives some insight into possible wages at Argyle. As you know he is in the process of defending a law suit currently where there is a money claim against him. He has had to disclose details of his income to the Court and has said his wages at Argyle are £5k per month tax paid. It's not as much as I had thought it might be. I figured the lowest wage could be around the £1k per week mark rising to perhaps £2k or slightly more for the better players. It makes you wonder what other clubs with half our gates are paying and if the same (ish) how they are doing it.

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I agree: if we go up there will be an automatic boost to TV money (whatever that is worth) and you'd hope the gates would go up a little. I can't see Argyle fans are going to be that much more interested in League 1 than they are in League 2 in principle but hopefully there'll be better gates against the bigger names like Sheffield United, Bolton, Charlton, Coventry and Fleetwood. I got that nearly right didn't I? Of course, if we were at the top of League 1....

There aren't many around like Carey (unless Adams has a secret list) so some of that money would be well spent on keeping him. I feel sure he still be a star player one league up. Two might be different...