1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Corona virus - non football

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by SAFCDRUM, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

but here you pay the full cost not subsidised,

becs likes this.
  2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

I dislike dandelions, I do not want them in my lawn. Twice a year I put weed killer/fertiliser down. I also, if any dare to poke their heads up, use a narrow trowel dig them up and squirt weed killer on any roots left in. By and large I am not troubled by dandelions.

The reason I mention this is the weed is seasonable and whilst it would be very difficult to 100% eradicate it, some precautions (say like vaccinations) or having supplies of chemicals (drugs) to hand means I stay on top of the problem.

I have read a couple of articles lately about how the coming of a Coronvirus was inevitable. How preparations could have been put in place, ie for testing (so that contact follow ups would be easy) a short sharp full lockdown, as with NZ, would have prevented a tragedy. Also stocks of PPE or ventilators, with labs on notice for research into antiviral and vaccines.

Now the comparison with me eradicating dandelions, is a little foolish but a little prep for a seasonal pest, stops it getting hold....wtf has the govt being doing for the last 10 years, there have been numerous warnings, this was coming we have a Flu crisis every year that we never seem prepared for either.

I just reckon all these lengthy measures and deaths could have been mitigated a lot.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  3. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I bet over the last 10 years they’ve just used the massive stock pile the last government had stashed away waiting for this to happen <ok>

4. Jerry lee

Jerry lee Well-Known Member

Looks like the number of infections are coming down daily

& this little beauty from the daily mail

Deaths announced each day have not, for the most part, happened in the past 24 hours but are spread across the days and weeks that came before.

I still honestly think the government are trying to scare us if the above line is true

5. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

The figures are slowing down in that they are not exponential. At first it was 1, then 2 which is a 100% increase. 2 to 4, 4 to 8, 8 to 16, 16 to 32 etc. They are not doubling every day now, they are going from 800 to 900 etc which is a 12% increase. Slowly but surely they will level off then start to head in the opposite direction.

Jerry lee likes this.
  6. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I'm scared by the amount of dead bodies piling up, not the government ...

Dancingstripes likes this.
  7. Jerry lee

8. Smug in Boots

9. Jerry lee

If we can repeat what Sweden are deeing & even to a point NEW ZEALAND the quicker we can all get back to normal

10. Smug in Boots

We won't.

11. Jerry lee

I kna one thing the lockdown won't last beyond June the government can't afford to keep bailing every business out

They won't be able to afford everyone on universal credit let alone business

Bet shops will be able to start trading at the start say from Sunday hours then if the deaths dee come down

Back to normal times

Smug in Boots likes this.
  12. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

I feel a bit sorry for the dandelion. It gets vilified and efforts are made to eradicate it, But its a yellow flower, a nice shade of yellow at that, the daffodil is yellow and is loved and planted and encouraged. Life's unfair at times

Sunderpitt, RTB and clockstander like this.
  13. Smug in Boots

.... and the dandelion clock is a thing of beauty as well as being fun for decades of children.

Sunderpitt and RTB like this.
  14. gelders pie

forgot about those , and now thinking you don’t see buttercups much these days .

mrs em, Sunderpitt and Smug in Boots like this.
  15. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

You honestly believe anything printed in the Daily Fail.
    Give your head a shake Jerry,

16. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Ive just done a 10 hour shift with the out of hours Doctors Service here in South Lakes.
    I would say 90% of our calls are from people of all ages with Covid type symptoms, GPs seeing patients with PPE trying to ensure if they get a true case they are suitably protected and I come home wondering if Ive caught it today or not.
    I dont believe the Government have any choice other than to extend the current restrictions for at least another three weeks and its time the nation stopped belly aching about being inconvenienced by the current measures, they should try having a week or so in intensive care, that might wake them up to the reality of this situation.
    This isnt going to get better any time soon, Ive actually forgotten all about the football season and how its going to conclude because thats way down the list of the nations problems.
    Taking any notice of how the media gauge this situaton is imo a complete waste of time, the daily broadcasts from the countries health experts are a far better gauge as to how were getting on
    Sorry this is a bit of a rant but Im a bit tired and the red wine hasnt really helped.

17. Smug in Boots

Well said mate ...

... forget football, forget going out for a drink, forget 'getting back to normal quick sharp'.

This is a crisis ffs, treat it as a crisis.

18. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Great post, I’m sure everyone on here, and the rest of the country appreciates your efforts. <ok>

19. gelders pie

you’re right about the whinging element —. just can’t comprehend how people can’t appreciate the difference between a couple of comfortable weeks in the house and a couple of weeks in an intensive care bed wondering if death is about to arrive

mrs em, Sunderpitt and cumbrianmackem like this.
  20. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Ann Linde, Sweden's foreign minister, on Wednesday described Sweden's approach as "no lockdown, and we rely very much on people taking responsibility themselves,"
    Here's what the approach consists of:
    • Bars, restaurants, and malls are open.
    • Schools are still open, and parents are required to keep sending their children.
    • The government has urged against nonessential travel and encouraged people to work from home if they can, stay home if they feel unwell, keep a distance from others in public, and regularly wash their hands.
    • People over 70 or in a higher-risk group are urged to stay home.
    • The only restrictions are that gatherings of more than 50 people are banned, bars and restaurants can serve only customers who are seated to reduce crowding, and people cannot visit places like nursing homes.
    Experts have said Sweden's response may be aided by the high level of trust Swedish people have in their government and their likeliness to follow its guidance, as well the already high proportion of the country that works from home.

But critics fear that the strategy could have an outcome like the one projected in the UK's original "herd immunity" plan for dealing with the virus — that was abandoned when modeling found that it could have resulted in up to 250,000 deaths.

The World Health Organization has also called for Sweden to take more action, telling CNN on Wednesday that it is "imperative" that Sweden "increase measures to control spread of the virus, prepare and increase capacity of the health system to cope, ensure physical distancing and communicate the why and how of all measures to the population."
    https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...wn-asks-people-to-stay-apart-2020-4?r=US&IR=T