1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Corona Virus

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by devonFRATTONiser, Mar 14, 2020.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Personally I have two possible theories for a Devious Baddie coming up with this virus in their secret laboratory.

1. Greta Thunberg - to stop air travel
    2. Pompey Lapras - To scupper the EFL Trophy

Any one else got any conspiracy theories?

2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Could be a James Bond 007 plot. Let's send for Daniel Craig........

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Coronavirus: Portsmouth's James Bolton, Andy Cannon, Sean Raggett & Haji Mnoga test positive

please log in to view this image

Four Portsmouth players, James Bolton, Andy Cannon, Sean Raggett and Haji Mnoga, have tested positive for coronavirus.

The League One side said the quartet are all self-isolating and the club has notified Public Health England.

All players and first-team staff were tested earlier in the week and Portsmouth said they are awaiting results of 10 more tests.

Haji Mnoga's positive test was confirmed a few hours after the other three.

"Football is not immune from this virus and I can assure you that it only really hits home when those that you know contract it," Portsmouth chief executive Mark Catlin said.

Portsmouth's players and staff were tested following their FA Cup tie with Arsenal after several of the Gunners squad had been in contact with Olympiakos owner Evangelos Marinakis on the night of their Europa League meeting.

Marinakis, who also owns Nottingham Forest, confirmed he had the virus on 10 March. Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta subsequently tested positive for coronavirus.

'None of these players are seriously ill'
    BBC Radio Solent's Portsmouth commentator Andrew Moon reports:

The whole Portsmouth squad were tested when they returned to training on Tuesday. Nobody was showing any symptoms at that stage so I think there was a bit of an assumption that they would get the all-clear to continue.

By Thursday, they had had around a dozen negative results back so the news on Saturday that players had tested positive came as a bit of a shock.

What underlines the big challenge of this virus is that none of these players are seriously ill, they're all recovering well and I've exchanged text messages with a couple of them, who seem to be in reasonably good spirits.

But they have tested positive, so obviously now have to self-isolate for 14 days.

For example, one of the players, Andy Cannon, lives with the Portsmouth captain Tom Naylor. That would mean Naylor too would have to self-isolate for 14 days as well and the families of the others will be in the same boat.

It would not come as a surprise if the club decide the whole squad should self-isolate for 14 days in order to protect everyone's health and well-being, especially any vulnerable people who they may come into contact with.

4. devonFRATTONiser

Forum Moderator

My local Sainsburys is employing staff
    just to make sure no-one is picking up more than two of any item.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

pompeydownunder likes this.
  7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth FC Statement: Fifth Player Tests Positive For Coronavirus - Ross McCrorie is self-isolating

Portsmouth Football Club can confirm that Ross McCrorie has tested positive for coronavirus.

All five players displayed mild or no symptoms, but are self-isolating in accordance with government guidelines.

The club are now waiting on the results of one more test, which is for a member of the backroom team.

8. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Ha, I only just saw this thread. I can't confirm or deny anything. Though if that were the case (and I'm not saying it is or isn't!), despite the EFL Trophy being scuppered it may have backfired somewhat with it also scuppering the EFL, XFL and potentially the NFL also!

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

10. devonFRATTONiser

Forum Moderator

What do you think will happen to the season?

Will it be played out, with matches played behind closed doors?
    If not, will the season simply be void, with no promotion or relegation?
    Or will it be based on the current table, tweaked to 'points per game'?
    Will some kind of formula be used to 'decide' the remaining results?

More to the point, what would you PREFER to happen?

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I reckon that this season will be cancelled, with all results expunged as if it had never happened. Resumption of the present season will not happen to my mind.

With regards to the EFL Trophy, I very much hope that it can be played pre-season (whenever that may be) at Wembley even if behind closed doors. If that's the case, then if Sky Sports are covering the match, they should provide free access to anyone who has purchased a ticket already (me included :)), and charge anyone who hasn't got a ticket say £20.00 to view the game. As over 50,000 Pompey fans, and around 4,000 Salford fans, have already bought a ticket, I'm sure the EFL have no wish whatsoever to have to reimburse them !