1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus - 606 tales from the Inquiry

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I read at the weekend that the Tory poll numbers have dropped significantly since the Cummings interview. So everything that has happened sinceJohnson came to power was nothing but positive, but Dominic Cummings of all people call the Tories incompetent and disatrous, and suddenly the Tory voters believe him.

2. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

I think Tory poll numbers are dropping because many people down on the streets know that this third wave of Coronavirus is hitting us now because the Government refused to stop people flying in from India for weeks after the virus ran wild there.

The whole 'India variant' business is just a smokescreen.
    Doubtless Cummings has made matters worse for Boris. But Cummings is just as guilty. Can't believe anyone thinks his motives are decent.

Boris and his chums have been good at standing behind lecterns telling us all what we can't do.
    But when it came to protecting us - which we trusted them to do - they have failed.
    They let the third wave in.

3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

For thousands of small businesses, it is GROSSLY UNFAIR to keep them hanging around in limbo for the next fortnight.
    Asking them to get ready to open again on June 14th with just 7 days notice is impractical.

The Government should say whether June 21st is going to be the day - or not - by next weekend.

There is no sign of hospital admissions going up.
    Infections are rising, but almost all are mild (way, way over 99%) - NOT requiring hospital admission.
    Vulnerable groups are all vaccine protected now.
    Except the ones who refuse to take the vaccine.
    There is no justification for keeping the economy partly closed for months longer.

4. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

Can't agree. There's no need to rush this decision. It's too important. Case numbers are going up significantly but at the moment deaths and serious illness are not.

In fact today is the first day since the pandemic began that we've recorded no deaths, albeit that that is doubtless partly because of the bank holiday.

But, this can easily change. Deaths and serious illness are about 3/4 weeks behind increased infections so it makes no sense to make a decision now when the consequences of the rise in infections (on deaths and serious illness) are not known. Lets hope that this time the correlation between cases and deaths has been broken by the vaccination program. It should have been and I hope that it has, but only time will tell. For the sake of a couple of weeks wait I'd rather know for sure. I think that's all the government are trying to do - leave as much time as possible to gather the data before 21/6. Business's will adapt to late notice, but they can't adapt to another lockdown.

The Penguin and Ken Shabby like this.
  5. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Third wave imminent.

COVID19 infection rates up 75% in just one week. Mostly in the North West.
    As far as I know, hospital admissions are only slightly up, and a high proportion are unvaccinated folk (people who were offered the vaccination but who refused to have it) with a few having had just one jab.

London, with it's high "vaccine hesitancy" rates, will be next.

6. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Looks like the final easing of restrictions is going to be pushed back two weeks into early July.

My biggest worry now is that the Government will just continue to do this indefinitely.
    Even if the third wave only produces a moderate increase in hospital admissions, as weeks turn into months the authorities will still not allow large public gatherings.

That will mean next season could begin with harsh restrictions on fans still in place.
    If there will only be a few thousand supporters allowed into the Valley (2,000 to 4,000 maybe?) with testing needed and mask wearing etc. I won't be going back under those circumstances.

How can lower league Clubs be expected to survive a third disrupted season with income drastically reduced?

And for non-league football this could be the final nail in the coffin.
    How much harm can a couple of hundred fans do at a non-league game?

7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The number of people hospitalised by COVID19 in this third wave who have had two vaccinations?
    Three.
    Over one hundred people have been killed in road accidents in roughly the same time period.
    And hundreds put into hospital with serious injuries.

The authorities need to get a sense of perspective.
    Unless they don't mind people beginning to believe there is something else going on here.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Bit of a strange story this one. Is Scotland about to close its borders with England?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-57406705

As the situation stands, I can get in a car and drive across the border to Scotland, but if I get onboard a cruise ship in England with proof that I have had both vaccinations I am not allowed to get off that ship at any Scottish port.

On one hand, I can see the point of Scotland wanting to prevent people bringing the virus in across its borders.
    I have been saying for ages that the whole UK should have tighter border controls to prevent just that.

But this cruise liner is carrying only UK citizens, all of whom have had both vaccine injections.
    This smacks to me of anti-English Nationalism expressing itself in a petty but high profile gesture.
    The shops, cafe's and pubs in the Scottish towns where this cruise liner would have docked are the losers here.
    Domestic tourism is surely better (as in safer) than international tourism at this time.
    But once again I'm getting the impression that the rulers in Scotland are sending the message that English people are not welcome there.

9. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

The first person to sit next to me on a choo choo in months<yikes>, and she was a pig<wah>

10. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Are you referring to her looks or occupation?

11. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Just got a message that I get my second Pfizer jab next week. Spain is still way behind the UK on vaccination, but the stuff they put on the news every morning about the high speed programme they have is actually starting to look more accurate now.

12. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Could have been both...

14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Here we go then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57447632

Restrictions to stay - for months if this third wave really takes off.
    Indeed I think it's more likely now that the lockdown easing will be reversed.

And all because the Government would not stop travel from India until weeks after the virus was totally out of control there.
    Yet it closed off Pakistan & Bangladesh when their infection rates were much lower.
    And it takes Portugal off the green list because of a negligible rise there.

This situation was totally avoidable.
    And for what. A trade deal. Did we even get that deal?

Small businesses will be crippled by this.
    The furlough scheme will have to be extended yet again. No way can it be ended in the middle of an infection wave.
    And we can forget anything more than a token few fans at football matches, probably for the whole of this coming season.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Glad Boris is enjoying himself so much in Cornwall.

After this world-leaders ego-massage holiday swimming in the sea, he's going to bounce onto TV tomorrow all bright-eyed and bushy tailed, and tell the British people that they can't have their freedom back.

Do us a favour Boris and don't say it's going to be for 2 weeks or 4 weeks. Don't insult our intelligence.
    Is the third wave going to be better or worse in 4 weeks time than it is now?
    It isn't going to be better, is it.

A hundred thousand small businesses waiting to be able to trade again - you might as well chuck it in now and sign on the dole.
    2021 is all set to follow 2020 down the toilet. And this time it's the Government's fault.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  16. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Vaccination at the Valley <applause>

The way things are going, probably the only way you'll get in there before next summer <laugh>

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Butterfield likes this.
  18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

Freedom Day

Self-serving politicians allowed this third wave to happen here.
    Now they dangle a date in front of us like a carrot on a stick in front of a donkey.
    19th July.
    Yeah, right.

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  19. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Barring the vaccine it has been one cock up after another throughout.

20. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Not Shutting the borders down tight enough and the general public’s stupidity throughout this pandemic has been our downfall