1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus - 606 tales from the Inquiry

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Feb 25, 2020.

1. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Posted on 15th June;
    16,000 cases by Wednesday. I wasn't far out.
    Should have remembered, figures are always low on Mondays because of the weekend.
    Deaths are low, though I believe hospital admission rates are rising.
    From the infections point of view, the 3rd wave is growing at exactly the same rate as the earlier waves.

Hope I'm wrong about 60,000 cases per day in the week before the new Freedom Day (19th July).
    Hard to see how all rules can be lifted with that kind of infection rate.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  2. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

Unless deaths remain very low, in which case it may be a case of reopen everything and accept a further rise in cases, provided we keep the deaths low.
    With so many vaccinations being done and so many people gaining immunity by having had Covid, we are nearing the point of achieving ‘herd immunity’.

But that’s only true if that immunity continues if and when new variants come along.

3. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be optimistic - the vaccines 'should' keep the death rates down. But we seem to be opening up too quickly.

4. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I think we've reached a crossroads regarding COVID19 now.
    It's decision time.

New scary variants will be cropping up every month or two for several years. Maybe forever.
    So as far as I can see we have three choices;

1. Drop all restrictions in July and rely completely on keeping up the vaccine race with the variants.

2. Drop all restrictions the next time we are in a lull between waves, then rely on the vaccine race (as with choice 1)

3. Never drop the restrictions, just live with them forever.

Option 1 will allow the economy to recover the quickest, but will allow the third wave to peak and lead to hundreds more deaths and thousands more cases of long Covid. This is probably Boris's favoured option - short term pain but the quickest recovery.

Option 2 will allow the economy to recover eventually, but could mean lockdown rules until September maybe. Will people be willing to put up with them that long? There are already clear signs that mask rules on public transport are being widely ignored, and folks are gathering in large crowds with little or no social distancing. It's possible under those conditions that there might not even be a lull between waves. Lulls tend to follow months of strict lockdown.

Option 3 will mean the end of our relatively free lives as we have always known them. The economy will never recover - indeed a free economy cannot function, so the money to support the NHS and other services will simply not be there. The Government would have to take total and permanent control over every part of our lives simply to maintain civil order. Not a future worth living in as far as I'm concerned.

In my view our entire economic future cannot be held to ransom by minorities who refuse to take the vaccine.
    All of our lives and futures cannot be sacrificed for the benefit of people who won't cooperate. Never mind how politically correct that option may seem.
    Option 1 in my view will hurt the most in she short term, but it will help this country heal the quickest.
    Option 2 is a cop-out that may save some lives in the short term, but extend our collective suffering for much longer.
    Option 3 is how the whole world ends up being run like Russia or China. The extinction of democracy and freedom.

Vaccine refusers are just going to have to accept that COVID19 may well take them.
    That has to be the new reality.
    Because let's not kid ourselves, this country is now in a very bad state.
    Massive debt (for the UK and millions of individual households), massive unemployment waiting to fall on us when furlough ends. The longest NHS waiting lists ever seen. Services at breaking point.
    We're on our knees.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  5. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Just heard that between 1m and 2m are suffering from long Covid. It's not just the fatalities that have to be considered.
    Apparently there is an argument going on in the cabinet about raising taxes to pay for social care, the chancellor wants to raise them, the lovable buffooon doesn't. Yes, let's just keep on borrowing<cheers>. Nobody wants to die and everyone wants to go to heaven:emoticon-0127-lipss.

6. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The Government has totally lost the plot.

60,000 at Wembley in a fortninght, but it's the rule of 6 for everyone else and pubs & restaurants either opening for a handful and losing money hand over fist, or staying closed. Reason? Euro 2020 games at Wembley is promoting England to Johnny Foreigner watching on TV.

It's not about science anymore, it's pure politics.

7. The Penguin

Not to mention the 2,500 UEFA officials who don't have to quarantine. not much of a fight from Global Britain, just craven submission.

lardiman likes this.
  8. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Yes. It's no rules for them, plenty of rules for us.

Boris talks a lot of guff about levelling up, but what we get is favouritism and cronyism that would make even Tony Blair blush.
    If you're one of the 'in' crowd you get to do anything you want.
    If you're a pleb, then tough titty. You can't even go to a funeral.

9. lardiman

Forum Moderator

No rules for them & Plenty of rules for us # 2

Matt Hancock <doh>

Surely he has to go. Who tipped off The Sun, Dominic Cummings?
    Hasn't just broken the COVID19 guidelines, it looks like he got his bit on the side her job in the first place.

It's an outrage :emoticon-0183-swear ... Get in there My Son! :emoticon-0165-muscl <laugh>

This Government is making the Keystone Cops look professional :emoticon-0172-mooni at least they kept their trousers up...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Dick Plumb1 and Smudger603 like this.
  10. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Matt Hancock - what a bare faced, bare arsed hypocrite:

Hancock 01.png

Put it away and zip up your flies you horny old bugger.
    Nobody is going to take one word you say seriously ever again.

No more lectures from you about how serious the rules are :emoticon-0172-mooni

Dick Plumb1 and Smudger603 like this.

11. The Penguin

The lovable buffoon doesn't do sackings. Mrs Hancock might have other views.

lardiman and Dick Plumb1 like this.
  12. Dick Plumb1

Dick Plumb1 Well-Known Member

This Government have no moral Compass. In charge you have a serial Womaniser. The amount of lies that Boris the Buffoon and his cronies have told is off the chart. How Hancock has been allowed to continue is unbelievable.
    What does it take to be sacked from the Tory party? Do you have to kill somebody?

lardiman and Smudger603 like this.
  13. The Penguin

Are the electorate bovvered? The upcoming byelection will tell us. We get the politicians we deserve.

Dick Plumb1 likes this.
  14. Dick Plumb1

Dick Plumb1 Well-Known Member

It tells you a lot about the morality of some voters. Boris can do no wrong in some people's eyes as he got us out of the EU.

The Penguin likes this.
  15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

If I was Matt Hancock I'd be sleeping on my stomach for a few weeks.

16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

In the interests of fairness, all Police Forces in the UK have issued the following joint statement:

From today onwards, anybody caught breaching COVID19 laws will not be sanctioned in any way,
    as long as they apologise sincerely.
    The matter (whatever it was) will then be considered closed.

:police::police::police: Three cheers for the Boys (and girls) in Blue! :1980_boogie_down: :emoticon-0152-heart <hug>

17. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Hancock has resigned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57625508

After his hypocrisy when others broke the rules, he had no choice really.
    Sanctimonious wazzock.
    Is he going to be spending more time with his family? <doh>

Dick Plumb1 likes this.
  19. The Penguin

I also think the electorate likes to give someone a good kicking. In Labour strongholds they get it, in Tory
    I'd like to see Jeremy Hunt take the job but he's not a Brexiteer so that counts him ahrt.

20. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

Over 26,000 new cases today but mercifully 'only' 14 deaths.
    Seems as though we have indeed broken the link between cases and serious illness.
    No excuses now.....lets open up fully on 19th July and learn to live with Covid.

I shall not be wearing a face covering after 19/7.

lardiman likes this.