1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus - 606 tales from the Inquiry

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by lardiman, Feb 25, 2020.

1. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

The UK now has the third highest COVID19 death rate in the World.
    Only Mexico and Brazil (I think) are doing worse than us.
    Or was it India. Not sure...

And the UK has the highest COVID19 death toll (per head of population) in the World.
    I think Belgium had that for a while, but not now.

Countries looking at the "British experiment" take note.
    Whatever we did - you do the exact opposite.

When we eventually get the promised Public Inquiry, there should be some very hard questions asked.

2. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

Don't think that's right Lardi

We're currently 20th in the world in deaths per million population. We were up to 6th at one point, but our vaccination program has been working to drop us down that list. Think the US and Mexico may end up above us as well in due course. If you also consider our population density per square mile then our figures are even 'better'. Doom mongers take note - there are others that have done a lot worse than us and more still that have actually done even more worse than us but use untrustworthy methods of recording deaths. How for example, can any international body get anywhere near close to being able to verify China's true death toll. Or Russia's.

4,600 deaths in a population of over 1.4 billion - I don't think so.

And look at Peru - they jumped from about 1,500 deaths per million population to over 5,000 deaths per million population when they revised how they recorded deaths. Fair play to them for doing so, but I'm sure there are actually loads of other countries that are not being so honest.

We can argue about methods all day long but I'd be very confident that the method we use is more damning than many other countries and I also have confidence that there is no widespread corruption or doctoring of our figures unlike many of those said countries.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  3. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I stand corrected.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  4. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

Like for like comparisons are difficult. Population density and the size of the elderly population are variables, and different countries are at different stages of the pandemic. ATM the three worst affected countries are Peru, way ahrt in front, then Brazil and Colombia. Oddly, a majority of Brazilians think Bolsonaro has it under control. India has come right down the table, maybe because they are giving the vaccines they make to their own people. Our own vaccine uptake has been constant for the second jab, but has gone right down for the first, presumably because the anti-vaccers are sticking to their guns.

Ubedizzy likes this.
  5. Ubedizzy

Agreed, there are lots of variables and probably the most difficult to reconcile, is how each country is allowed to make it's own judgements about how to produce its own figures. I do think we are a very honest country in this regard but there are many others around the world who are not so.

Despite all the publicity, India has one of the lowest death rates per million population. Is that because of their total population, population density, vaccines, or how they record (or don't record) accurate figures. Who knows, but what is certain is that genuine, like for like comparisons are very difficult.

I do have this fear at the back of my mind that if all countries produced figures as honestly as we do, then our situation wouldn't be seen to be as serious as it is now and therefore have we actually done too much damage to the economy, mental health, delayed cancer operations etc etc etc as a result.

It's a really difficult one to judge.

6. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

Official: the government thinks we’re a big club

<laugh>

Miketyson2007Junior likes this.
  7. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Here we go.

No papers, no entry.
    I suspected civil liberty would be a casualty of the pandemic.
    Shame on you Boris. I thought, despite all your many faults, that you believed in freedom.

8. The Penguin

The Penguin Well-Known Member

I can sort of see the sense in this, but announcing new restrictions on Freedom Day was funny.

Butterfield likes this.
  9. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I spoke to someone from India yesterday - I'm online from 5am every day this week talking tourism with companies in Asia. He told me that in India they are currently vaccinating around 8m people per day. Don't know how true that is but he added that due to the population size, and huge city concentrations, it's very necessary, as they have so many people to get done.

10. FormerlyOzAddick

FormerlyOzAddick Active Member

Was it the same in the UK as is here in Sydney Oz now, in that they want u to take the Astra Zeneca if ur over 40, but the Pfizer is apparently not available and better for the under 40's ?

What are the using in India Shabby ?

11. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

No idea mate - Pfizer, Astra Zeneca and janssen I believe. given how bad it was a few months back, I'd imagine they are trying everything available. i was speaking to a couple of aussies yesterday morning and they described what we had in march last year - all shops closed except essentials, nobody could go further than 5k from home (we had 1k but Spain is smaller!!) and a total lock down for all. It's a bad situation, but if Covid gets loose, its hell on earth to get it under control. The people I spoke to were less than complimentary about the Aussie PM who apparently said there was no rush about vaccinating as there was no covid-19 down under. That said, he apparently has apologised, something neither the UK or Spanish PM's have bothered to do.

FormerlyOzAddick likes this.
  12. Butterfield

13. lardiman

Forum Moderator

The Club doing what it can to help get people vaccinated <applause> Something we can be proud of.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  14. lardiman

Forum Moderator

A glimmer of hope - infection numbers down for the 3rd day. Under 40,000 recorded today.
    It may not after all be heading for the terrible 100,000+.

But hospital admission rates are rising, and hospitals are having to expand COVID wards into new parts of their buildings, as they did during the last two waves.
    I really feel for those hospital workers.
    They must be at their wits end.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    The Penguin and Ubedizzy like this.
  15. Ubedizzy

Yes, a glimmer of hope.....last two days have seen huge falls in the number of new infections compared to the same days last week, which is the best measure. Many other countries around the world now getting increased new cases due to the Delta variant. I honestly think there is only so much we can do against this virus, we can slow it down for a while, but in time it will just spread and infect lots more people, but over a longer period. Thankfully the vaccine is, so far, turning it from a widely very serious disease to something a little more mild for many people.

lardiman likes this.
  16. Butterfield

17. lardiman

Forum Moderator

So many millions of Londoners just aren't going to take the vaccine.

The third wave is Johnson's fault.
    But much of the pressure and suffering of NHS staff could have been avoided this time around.
    People who won't take the jab are as guilty as the PM of making the next few months more harrowing than they needed to be.
    And of killing hundreds, maybe thousands, of vaccinated vulnerable people who should have been safe.
    • The Indian Trade Deal Variant
    • People who won't get jabbed.
    I don't know which is worse.
    One is operating purely on commands from a tiny and simple sequence of DNA, with no awareness or intent whatsoever.
    The Other is just behaving like they are.

The Elfsborg Sparrow likes this.
  18. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Today at least 50% are not wearing a covering(on public transport), regardless of the Government half ar**ed requests it means :emoticon-0172-mooni to the MANY.
    Interesting times.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  19. lardiman

Forum Moderator

I haven't watched any news since Saturday. Checked the BBC website just now and wished I hadn't bothered.

Some attention-seeking ex nurse rabble rouser at an anti-vacc rally likened NHS staff to Nazi doctors who were executed after the War <doh>
    I'm sure she got big applause, the deluded cow.
    Honestly, some of the drivel they come out with would make David Icke blush.

Our NHS staff are angels and heroes <applause>
    Anti-vacc loudmouths are bottom-feeding scum :emoticon-0172-mooni

Ken Shabby and Dick Plumb1 like this.
  20. FormerlyOzAddick

FormerlyOzAddick Active Member

Yup, locked down, working from home luckily, i personally do not suffer to much like some seem to bang on about being locked down.

Cannot recall Morrison here saying anything like that re no rush to vaccinate, but i do not make a point of following the news every day. Not healthy.
    Nowadays though, the PM, the health ministers are just pleading for all to vaccinate, and yeah we still have some gibberers who say the vaccines contain nanotech or chips to slay u in the future... Protestors who protest but no doubt love there weekly gov handouts they have been living on for decades.

Who is Sean Clare, anything to get excited about ?

Ken Shabby and lardiman like this.