1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus and football

Discussion in 'Watford' started by colognehornet, Mar 9, 2020.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I must say I totally agree... this thread is in danger of slipping into another version of previous threads all of which have started off with th honourable intentions.
    I don't know what others think... But will end up with less football posting and less posting overall if we are not careful..

2. yorkshirehornet

Well done Luther :
    "So, i have been trying to help find a place that can deliver a meal to NHS team at WGH. Am awaiting costs so we could crowd fund and have a restaurant who will cook and deliver. They are going to do a costing. And i will see about logisitics then.

Keep in. Stay home . be positive "

Good for him.....

Scullion and andytoprankin like this.
  3. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

My abusive comments have spoilt many threads, I will cut it out.

Fixed it for you!

4. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

5. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

New danger - we could all drown in the tears for Tim Martin.

6. andytoprankin

Quite right, Mark. I’ve just set it up.

With regards to football, I posted in the Nest this morning that fixtures would continue as per usual courtesy of Pro-Evolution Soccer on a Playstation 4. Watford will kick off at 3pm. I’ll keep you informed.

7. yorkshirehornet

Sounds brilliant.. Perhaps some one could set up a Prediction league based on this sort of thing? Colognehornet?

8. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

The problem is that Colognehornet is not a digital native <laugh> I don't know anything about pro-evolution soccer or playstation <doh>

9. andytoprankin

Time to buy, methinks...

10. Scullion

Scullion Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you. Companies should not lay off workers but keep them on and as I said the government and banks should provide interest free cash flow support and cover your employees wages. Putting in place the mechanisms will take a bit of time as can be expected but it will happen.

It is very short sighted to lay off staff as these experienced people will be needed when things return to normal and they will appreciate you and other businesses being caring employers. Good luck Chris.

oldfrenchhorn likes this.

11. Scullion

C 19 is not a political issue it is a national emergency like a war.
    Personally I am glad Corbyn is not in charge at this time and it is good to see opposition parties supporting the government generally, as they did in the war.
    This may become a political issue when the emergency is over and this will depend on how successfully the government has handled the situation.
    As SH keeps repeating they are basing decisions on experts advice but given we have not experienced something on this scale medically it is advice based on conclusions without knowing the full facts because we do not know the full facts. It may be that we get it wrong but generally I feel it better to stick to a plan rather than chop and change.
    As usual we will find that all countries will get some of it right and some of it wrong.

superhorns likes this.
  12. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

This is my problem. If Corbyn was in power yourself and SH would be gleefully pointing out Labour's failures and making jokes about Dianne Abbott. You even just threw in a dig at Corbyn in your post, he has no control over the situation.

The Government is not above criticism, their initial strategy would have killed hundreds of thousands and was against the WHO advice and different to all other European strategies to cope. Do you think it's not worth pointing out?

I would have criticised a Labour Government in the same way, the herd immunity idea was ridiculous, along with delaying shutting down pubs/restaurants and not imposing curfews/lockdowns sooner.

It has been funny watching SH squirm <laugh> Pearson = Bad, Tim = Good <doh>

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  13. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Bondi Beach despite people being told not to gather this lot knew better. They only went away when the beach was legally closed.

14. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Not the brightest those Sydneysiders. Having said that, I've sent a copy of this to my neice - am near-certain that that's her front left with the blue shorts and striped top...:(

15. Scullion

I think this is unfair, I cannot recall criticising Labour on here very often if at all. In fact I was saying it was good to see the opposition supporting the government. I am entitled to say that Corbyn would not be an inspiring leader and I am sure you would say the same about Boris.

16. Scullion

They should all be self isolated on Bondi beach with exactly what they have with them.

17. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

But that would mean they're still congregating large group...

18. Scullion

That's the point!

19. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

You're right in saying that it's not a political issue Scully. The fact is that every Western government is floundering on this one - they all reacted too late. I mean epidemics like this happen in faraway lands like Mali and Chad not on our own doorstep <doh> Asian governments have reacted much quicker on this - whatever their political stance is. But then they are dealing with a different population with different cultural values - where the community is more important than the individual - and, somehow, they react differently at times like this - they simply know what to do. Even if there is a normal flu epidemic going around then all Japanese guests on trains would be wearing a mask - anyone not doing so would be sharply criticized by other members of the public. The Western mindset would say 'it's my choice whether I take the risk', but the Japanese mindset says that you have a duty to remain fit so that you don't infect others - the Korean attitude is the same. Some German youngsters would celebrate their so called individual freedoms by holding such things as Corona Parties at the moment (which is why the law has to step in) something which would be inconceivable in Japan or Korea. We need notions of solidarity and community at the moment but this works easier in some countries than others. The one political thing I will say is that 40 years of neo liberal free market ideology has left us less capable of this solidarity.

20. andytoprankin

Pereyra scores from a free-kick! Super effort curled over wall into top-left corner.

Burnley 0-1 Watford

Pereyra 44’

Toby likes this.