1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus and NOTHING to do with football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looking at the EU accounts we can now see what the UK government agreed to pay to leave the EU and settle the debts. It is a total of €47.456 billion. As both sides agreed to this sum we can assume it is correct. This is made up with two parts. 1. Contracts entered into, but not yet settled before the UK left, and 2. Pension payments to staff and EMPs such as Farage. €230 million is to be paid in 2021 and the rest spread over several decades.

2. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I was speaking to someone from Finland the other day and he said that the Finns can't wait for Covid restrictions such as the 1.5 metres rule to end so that they can go back to the customary 7 metres <laugh>

3. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Now that everyone over 18 has been offered the jab, open up the country and let herd immunity logic prevail... however you can still get covid even when jabbed... so people will still die........

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

I wonder why this is not being used now as transmission is high.

5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

They really do need to re think dropping restrictions don’t they but they horse has bolted so people will just ignore any u turn.

6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Holland tried opening up four weeks ago and now is having to reimpose curfews and other restrictions.

Markthehorn likes this.
  7. Markthehorn

No doubt due to the large crowds at and watching the football etc.

It will be if the kids end up in hospital people will start to really worry .

8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

andytoprankin likes this.
  9. Markthehorn

10. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I think there are some situations where mask wearing makes sense even in normal times Mark. Using public transport is one of them. Of all the measures used against Covid 19 mask wearing is the least invasive, and the cheapest, and involves no great leap in technology, - the shame of all of this is that if mask wearing had been applied 100% in all public places from day one then the lock down would have been much shorter. Mask wearing alone could have brought this thing to an end - but instead of that we had to wait for science to catch up.

andytoprankin and Markthehorn like this.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

This is what Poundland are doing. I wonder if other stores will follow?

Hornet-Fez and Markthehorn like this.
  12. Markthehorn

Certainly agree there is no excuse for washing hands!

13. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

President Emmanuel Macron announces that the Covid vaccine will be compulsory for health staff, care workers & anyone in contact with the elderly and vulnerable in France, from 15th September.

Macron talks about the progress so far against Covid - but warns of a "strong" return of the epidemic, saying that because of the Delta variant, the number of cases is going to rise "rapidly", which will lead to more hospitalisations.

Macron very much incentivising normal life for those who are vaccinated - with only those with a health pass (vaccination, negative test, recovery from Covid) able to visit cafes, restaurants, hospitals, planes, trains and shopping centres from the beginning of August.

French president says that the country will have to live with the virus for the rest of the year, as well as several months next year. He's now on to talking about economic recovery and reforms, including to pensions. France will start a roll out of 3rd jabs from September for those who were vaccinated first, in January and February this year.

Worth adding too that Macron hinted at making the vaccine mandatory for all French people... "according to the evolution of the situation, we must in all likelihood raise the question of obligatory vaccination for all French people but I make the choice to trust".

Macron said he was right to have a balance between protecting the public and freedom. Now health care workers face sanctions from mid-September if they fail to get the Covid jab. A clear push from the president to get vaccinated or face being unable to go about your daily life. Minutes later - with Macron's carrot and stick approach to vaccination - a big spike in requests to get vaccine appointment, 17,000 people a minute signing up.

14. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

They genuinely don't have any shame anymore. Daily lies have become the new normal

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

As more and more people openly call him out to be a liar, I wonder how much more of it he will take. And I see the UK is world beating again. The most covid cases in the world, nearly 50,000 new ones yesterday. I am sure everything will be fine on Monday. :steam:

Toby likes this.
  16. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

I think they're genuinely trying to see how far they can take the piss

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I know my French is not the best, but I can read and translate this. "Le variant Delta, très contagieux, est responsable de la quasi-totalité de ces nouveaux cas en France aujourd'hui. " The highly contagious Delta variant is responsible for almost all of these new cases in France today.
    The BBC writes a piece about isolation for travellers returning from France that suggests it is due to "persistent cases of the Beta variant, first identified in South Africa." Read on and you find that 3.4% of cases recorded in France in the past four weeks were the Beta variant. So 96.6% are the Delta or Johnson varient.
    This is dreadful reporting, and could be construed to be trying to take the heat off Johnson who allowed it into the UK.

andytoprankin and Toby like this.
  18. Markthehorn

This can be no surprise .

Heard stories of people not being checked as they went in either .

19. Markthehorn

Saw this on another site:

“On this day last year there were 18 covid deaths, today there were 41. Last July 17th there were 144 hospital admissions, today there were 740, last year there were 144 patients on ventilators, today there are 551, last year there were 581 new cases, today there were 54,674”

Are these stats right?

As a CEV person this is rather alarming if true.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

It looks as though someone has gathered together data from different sources as I cannot find it all on one site. However the figures quoted do appear to be correct.

Markthehorn likes this.