1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus and NOTHING to do with football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

And now she plans to x-ray asylum seekers in order to determine their ages. I'm not sure whether that is even possible, but would like to think that the professionals asked to do it would refuse - assuming she plans to use professionals and not a gang of BNP knuckledraggers.

2. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Who’s to say the 1922 Committee is even qualified to do the job?

oldfrenchhorn and Toby like this.
  3. Bolton's Boots

Fair point. It looks like another case for 'special' visas then - short term work for Mafia types.

4. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Nothing about Priti Patel surprises me BB. She has often expressed admiration for the RSS - the paramilitary wing of Hindu Nationalism and so it's pretty clear what her ideological background is.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In a move designed to strengthen authoritarianism, Justice Secretary Dominic Raab said today that an overhaul of the U.K.’s Human Rights Act would include a “mechanism” to “correct” rulings by the European Court of Human Rights. We live in dangerous times if the government want to take away rights from the population. We shouldn't be surprised since leaving the EU has meant so many rights have already been removed.

6. Bolton's Boots

Oh dear - wasn't this Liz Truss' finest moment - the act that won her promotion?

7. Bolton's Boots

I think his exact words were that he is "devising a mechanism to allow the Government to introduce ad hoc legislation to "correct" court judgements that ministers believe are "incorrect" - far more worrying I'd say, as it's only a step away from being applicable to more than the HRA.

andytoprankin and oldfrenchhorn like this.
  8. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Under the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, it incorporated the ECHR into the domestic law of NI through the Human Rights Act. It also introduced the additional power to strike down legislation by the Stormont Assembly if it did not conform to the ECHR. Any move by Johnson or Rabb to alter the status of the ECHR as it relates to NI could/would be a violation of the Good Friday Agreement. If the British government’s eventual intention is to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights, it would be joining Belarus as the only European country not subject to that treaty. Just a reminder: The ECHR is not an EU institution, so it seems that Raab is using that confusion about the name to turn the UK into a rogue state.

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

First M&S closes it's shops in France because it can no longer service them, now Tesco has given up trying to get its products into Finland. Under a deal with the S Group of stores they sold a large range of "Freefrom" products. Tesco are also reported to be pulling out of all EU countries where they currently have deals. The gap on the shelves is being taken over by Carrefour France. As journalists are saying, "Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving".

10. Bolton's Boots

11. Bolton's Boots

OECD suggest a second referendum before the damage to the UK economy becomes too great.

Somehow I doubt the government will listen though.<grr>

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...se-uk-europe-theresa-may-latest-a8004676.html

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Although that is an old story BB, it is as true to day as it was then. Even the Mail is now publishing polls that show how unhappy people are with the situation, and there would be a totally different outcome if a second referendum were to be held.

andytoprankin likes this.
  13. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Which is why they wouldn’t dare. Starmer too, would probably trot out that the country has made a decision and needs to stick to it. We don’t live in a democracy, because the views of the people are secondary to those who hold the power.

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  15. Bolton's Boots

Unbelievable bit of nonsense from a politician - and from a national broadcaster.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Downing Street says it is "keeping a very close eye" on rising Covid cases - but the cabinet has not yet discussed rolling out its Plan B to control coronavirus in England this winter.

Daily cases have been above 40,000 for seven days in a row, with 43,738 new Covid cases reported on Tuesday.

The governments stock answer when faced with a probing question was, "we are following the science". It seems that has changed.

The i says government scientific advisers who used to meet weekly are now meeting once a month "because of lessened demand from ministers for their input". That's despite "cases, hospital admissions and deaths increasing" and fears of a winter wave, the paper says - as well as suggestions from scientists that a new variant could be between 10% and 15% more infectious.

I have to ask would I have more faith in Johnson and Javid than I do in this group of scientific advisers?

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

A comment from a paramedic.

Currently 23rd in the queue, out of 25 ambulance crews waiting to enter the emergency department. There’s a palpable sense of concern amongst staff, hearing general broadcast after general broadcast with few remaining resources available to send. It’s not even winter. Help.

please log in to view this image

18. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

This year for the first time, I actually believe the French Health Service to be superior to the NHS.... just a felt sense .... but I could get a face to face appointment with a GP here... .whereas in the UK........

.... I phoned the UK surgery to book my blood tests for when I get back, now they finally have the tubes,..... and still 18 months on the voice mail are saying... " We are facing an unprecedented demand ....etc etc..... " NO ... this is just people wanting medical help as always. Shocking state of affairs...

andytoprankin likes this.
  19. Bolton's Boots

Ouch!! This guy is spot on - given the state of the current incumbent, he should be handed the job of prime minister immediately.

20. Bolton's Boots

"Some trainee doctors and consultants at one Welsh health board are scared to come to work"

What's puzzling about this report is the fact that no mention is made of the Welsh Health Secretary - no accusations of her being responsible, no calls for her to resign or be sacked. If this was happening in Scotland, you could bet your last pound that both BBC Scotland and STV would have had the knives sharpened before releasing the story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58967159