1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus and NOTHING to do with football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

Just reviewing his film star highlights then

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

3. Bolton's Boots

In the words of Victor Meldrew, I don't believe it...<doh>

4. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

And in the words of John MacLane: welcome to the party, Pal! IMG_20220501_203129.jpg

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cycling was part of my son-in-law's life. Every weekend he would be out with four of his friends keeping fit for their longer trips out. London to Paris one year, climbing Mont Ventoux three times in twenty four hours the next. A real tightly knit group of friends that had all the magazines and up to date bikes and equipment. One of the five caught covid while doing his job of keeping hospital electronic equipment operational, and died from it at the age of 49. The cycling has stopped, two have sold their bikes, and the sense of loss runs very deeply still 18 months on.
    The sadness sometimes turns to anger at the government and how they failed to protect staff in the hospitals until the virus was running rampant. Circumstances have clearly changed for the widow and her two teenage sons, and as she has tried to find her way through the maze of paperwork to receive a little help, she has been met with constant delays that sometimes seem intentional. So maybe if the government wished to be servants to the public, they should put the money into genuine schemes to help people suffering, rather than handing over vast amounts to their pals in the Lords and elsewhere.

andytoprankin likes this.
  6. Bolton's Boots

It's worse than we think apparently - here was me thinking it couldn't possibly be.

7. Bolton's Boots

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this a bit weird - admitting in election campaign material that your party have stuffed up in Westminster ...

please log in to view this image

8. Hornet-Fez

never seen anything like it. desperate stuff.

9. Bolton's Boots

10. Hornet-Fez

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

"Fish and vegetables grown near the old Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan can be freely sold in Britain after the Food Standards Agency scrapped a rule on radioactivity levels in produce."

Place a bowl of turnips on the table and watch them glow when you cannot afford to turn the light on?

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Last Saturday I was in Watford and noticed the placards in many front gardens in support of the LD mayor. They were everywhere, but I did spot just the one for LAB but none at all for the CON. Well the support has paid off as he won with ease, and the CON came a very poor third. In the results declared so far the Tories are not making any showing in the wards, coming bottom every time. Strange that the town has a CON MP.

13. Bolton's Boots

He's only been the MP since the 2019 election - a lot of worms have come out of the can since then.

Our ward was one of the first to be declared up here this morning - the Tory vote plummeted by around 32% whilst that of the SNP increased by 17%. We've ended up with 1SNP, 1 Tory and 1 Independent, so really no change from 2017.

14. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

To be fair, with no need to place them in the microwave, their self-cooking must save you some electricity too.

15. andytoprankin

They started spouting this here, too. If you have enough integrity, you don’t use the national banner and stand as an independent.

Separately, BB, without bursting any major blood vessels, can we discuss the publisher’s address? ;)

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  16. andytoprankin

I assume it is mainly sado-masochists who suffer most at the removal of the whip? :bandit:

17. Bolton's Boots

Not being a royalist, I agree. The word duke should never start with a capital letter...

18. andytoprankin

But as a title… :) I agree about the royalism. We’re being encouraged to wear red, white and blue to work to celebrate the Queen’s jubilee. I said I would if it was recognised as the colours of the French tricolour, a country that knew how to deal with royalty. That went down beautifully, let me tell you. :)

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  19. Hornet-Fez

I remember Jack Dee telling a similar joke prior to the visit of putin a few years ago. His deadpan delivery... it was almost difficult to tell how serious he was.
    when the Jubilee is done and Lizzie goes I doubt the monarchy in its current form will survive beyond Charles or certainly William: he strikes me as a genuine chap who might usher in an era similar to the Dutch monarchy. We'll see...

20. Bolton's Boots

While the 'high heid yins' in the SNP say they want to retain the monarchy after independence, there is strong opposition to that within the party ranks and, from what I can gather, from much of the population too. I'm sure that it's one of those issues that will need to be addressed after independence by a referendum - and suspect that that will result in Scotland doing a Barbados and giving royalty the flick. So whoever has the role will find it slightly diminished.

andytoprankin and Hornet-Fez like this.