1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus and NOTHING to do with football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Well said......

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

I think she's great - a bit of a firebrand, she speaks her mind, tells it like it is and wont back down against anyone, but can be a bit of a rebel - in fact very reminiscent of one of the party's greats, the late Margo MacDonald. In those respects I think she's ideally placed in Westminster - I was really disappointed when she didn't stand for the election of the party's Westminster group leader. But whether or not she could lead the party in Scotland is another question. Holyrood parliament is a completely different kettle of fish to Westminster. In spite of the best efforts of the Tory branch leader Douglas Ross - that wee nyaff who asks her a question towards the end of the video - to turn it into a mini-Westminster, MSPs are in the main far more respectful during debates. So whether she could be a future leader here, I don't really know - I think she would have to mature a bit before getting the backing of the required majority.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
  3. Bolton's Boots

From the National Conservatism conference yesterday.

I don't know which is worse - the fact that this pillock, Douglas Murray, can stand up and say something like this, or that a room full of far-right Tories find it funny.

yorkshirehornet likes this.
  4. Bolton's Boots

Jesus wept - after paying out £45bn in dividends to shareholders since privatisation started, water companies in England intend charging their customers extra for a decade to fix a problem that is really their own to fix. What's wrong with hitting them with a nice big Windfall Tax to pay for it instead - or is that too much to expect from MPs who are also shareholders?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/anglian-water-bills-rise-90-fix-sewage-storm-overflow/

5. Bolton's Boots

6. Bolton's Boots

Flipping heck!! The death knell of investigative journalism in the UK?

No-one will ever convince me that this government haven't bought the courts and all who serve inside them.

andytoprankin likes this.
  7. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Not a man of "means" (is anyone these days?) but I have given serious thought to chipping in to the crowd funder. The judge leaves more than a little to be desired and the punitive award is outrageously disproportionate whatever my feelings on the judgement itself. Banks?... well what I think of him is wholly unprintable.

8. Bolton's Boots

Absolutely nothing to do with Coronavirus, football or politics - but it seems that there may be a development in the hunt for Madeleine McCann. German police have requested a search in a reservoir in Portugal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65673674

9. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

This is what we all expected but hoped would not be true

If it is Madeline at least they can now grieve and put her to rest

Bolton's Boots likes this.
  10. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

11. Hornet-Fez

andytoprankin and duggie2000 like this.
  12. Bolton's Boots

Well I never - in 2000, Suella Braverman, or Fernandes as was, was accused of vote rigging during the election which saw her become president of the Cambridge University Conservative Association. When quizzed about the accusation, her response was "You can't prove anything."

Corrupt then and still corrupt now.

please log in to view this image

andytoprankin likes this.
  13. Bolton's Boots

Wow - just wow!!

14. Bolton's Boots

Tory government being attacked by one of their own - former party chairman Chris Patten.

A joy to behold really.

15. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Two little snippets from the German speaking world here which are interesting in one case and weird in another:
    A family of wild boar (3 adults and 22 little ones) have made their home in a public park in Hagen (not too far away from us) right next to a school. Not surprisingly the kids have been told to avoid the park. The stranger case comes from Vienna - in the debate about whether statues of historical figures who may have been racists should be pulled down a compromise has been found - statues of a famous mayor of the town (who died 120 years ago and was accounted to be something of an anti semite) can still stand, but they are not allowed to be perpendicular any longer ie. they have to resemble the leaning tower of Pisa <doh> This is to keep the peace between the traditionalists who say history is history and part of cultural heritage and those who want to tear it all down - so in future all statues of dubious people may be leaning ones !!

16. Hornet-Fez

FFS, the world's gone mad!

duggie2000 likes this.
  17. Bolton's Boots

You've only just noticed?

18. Hornet-Fez

Even by the current state of play... that the Austrians have joined in. Surely elf n safety will ban leaning statues?<doh>

19. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Further development in the wild boar story - the family consisted of 3 mothers and their offspring (25 in all). Members of the 'Altnungsamt' - (office for the maintainance of local by laws - the same ones who give you a fine for throwing your fag end on the street) arrived at the scene. The mothers understandably got a bit protective and the local officials had no alternative but to climb onto higher objects on an adventure playground for their own safety <laugh> The wild boar family has since voluntarily retreated into a nearby forest.

Bolton's Boots and Hornet-Fez like this.
  20. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Only in countries bound up with EU Health and Safety red-tape. No such bureaucratic nonsense here. Our British statues can now endanger the public free from Brussels controlling interference, thank goodness.