1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Cheers buddy but by the time I get made redundant I have had 2.5 years warning (I work for Honda) so have been saving hard and I am getting a pretty decent package.
    But fingers crossed the job market picks up then, I have been furloughed for 14 weeks so far so don’t need anymore time off.

2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Yes I know you have known for a while , but all the best to you and anyone else who's in any crap situation .

saintrichie123 likes this.
  3. saintrichie123

Yea I am ready for a change of scenery, been doing shift work earning pretty good money for the last 20 years.
    So will do anything really, looking at being a delivery driver for a supermarket, but not great money but it’s an income and will keep the wolf from the door.

Archers Road likes this.
  4. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Work to live, rather than live to work. Make time for family, and get a good hobby. Fate may even make things better.

5. saintrichie123

Oh definitely, could be worse I keep thinking of those poor workers at BA for instance who will get basic packages, then have to reapply on worse contracts.....lower wages and more than likely affecting their pensions in retirement.

6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

8. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The timing will fit in nicely to take the blame for the economic downturn due to leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union at the end of the year too.

Archers Road likes this.
  9. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Researchers believe that a localised outbreak can be predicted 10 days earlier by testing sewage for viral shedding than when standard tests are considered. This will enable steps to be taken earlier and reduce the size of outbreaks.

And yes, disgraceful behaviour and risk taking by sections of the community will be partly responsible for second outbreaks. The government is responsible for what it does, but can’t be held responsible for the more moronic sections of our society who went from lockdown to herding in large groups with no consideration for others.

10. San Tejón

Another company with no experience of making PPE was given a £25 million contract.
    It seems that the company has no employees, no assets and no turnover.
    Is someone siphoning money off?

11. San Tejón

Spain stepping up requirements for visitors. You need to fill out a form detailing where you will be staying. If done online you will receive a QR code to present on arrival at the airport. Good that their government are still in control.

“IMPORTANT TRAVEL ADVICE FOR The Spanish Government has implemented a series of measures to protect public health, including the health of passengers arriving into Spain. From the website link, you can fill out the necessary health form and obtain a QR Code. This is to be shown at the border points upon arrival in Spain. https://spth.gob.es/“

12. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

They’re getting ready to open the airport here and the requirements are heavy. Two week quarantine, a clean PCR test within four days of travel and three weeks of daily location check in after arrival. It may as well still be closed due to how difficult it will be to get a test!

13. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Anyone who has a pension effectively has money invested in the stock market, and will be adversely effected when share values suffer.

I still think it’s wrong that many companies pay dividends to their shareholders while providing a poor service to their customers, and asking more work for less money from their staff. Privatised utilities often practice this business model, and it stinks.

14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I got made redundant in 2012, at the height of the last recession. I did have to eat into my savings for a while, all whilst working in poorly paid jobs.

It worked out for me in the long run though, I’m much happier in my present job, and i earn enough to pay the bills, and put a bit aside each month for my fast approaching old age. I’m sure it’ll work out for you too; my advice to anyone in that position is, be willing to take on any work you can get until the right job comes along.

15. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

It worked out for me in the long run though, I’m much happier in my present job,
    --------------------

The fear can be the biggest thing holding people back. But my advice is don't let it stand in front of you, let it push you from behind.

16. San Tejón

17. saintrichie123

Fortunately for me, this time next year I will just turn 51 and will be in a financial position that I shouldn’t struggle financially.
    Job wise I am looking forward to not working shifts/weekends etc, because one thing lockdown has taught me is that I no longer need to chase the big money work, and that family and friends are much more important.
    Taking a reduced salary and being in a less stressful working environment is something I am looking forward to.
    In fact I am actually excited about what the future holds.

18. saintrichie123

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

20. San Tejón