1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

Fran

I think that the mask wearing issue in shops probably reflects the clientele. My local Waitrose is so well managed that I feel comfortable shopping there. everyone is wearing a mask in this shop. There is a Nisa near me which I pop in to from time to time and this is not so well managed and it is not unusual to see people going in without a mask. No one in the shop declines these people service.

I think that you are generally less exposed to any risk if you make a conscious decision to only visit those shops or locations where things are managed sensibly or places not likely to be popular with people who are irresponsible. I have heard stories from an acquaintance who told me about taking their nan out for a birthday meal at an Indian restaurant in Birmingham and how uncomfortable it was since no measures whatsoever had been put in place to prevent Covid. It was just business as normal. This is surely the tip of the iceberg. I had another conversation with someone else last week and there was a consensus about not visiting places popular with families with small kids or likely to attract crowds of teenagers. I was shocked at how poorly things were managed at Marwell last month. This was a surprise as I had expected much better but , on this basis this is typical, I would be reluctant to visit these kinds of places in future.

Frankly, if you are stupid enough to go on a pub crawl, you should not be surprised to catch the virus. It is the people who are irresponsible who worry me.

The thing I find strange is that some places such as Romsey Town FC are micro-managing the Covid situation for the benefit of their supporters and maybe going that extra, crucial mile. However, if others are not taking the same decree or care and attention, the efforts of the people who are managing things incorrectly are always going to be undermined.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  2. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

What really frustrated me about the announcement that grandparents could child mind in high risk areas, undergoing more stringent lockdown, was two things.
    1. That very morning the government sent out their two most senior advisers, in scientific and medical terms, to explain the dangers of how quickly the infections were rising. They emphasised that the age groups driving the rise in infections are 20-29 & 30-39. These are the age groups most likely to require support with child minding.
    2. A few days ago I posted information from a member of Independent SAGE, which stated that the people that are currently most likely to be admitted to hospital, are the parents of the two age groups driving the infection rises, ie grandparents.
    This is where the mixed messages are so dangerous. By telling the grandparents that they can child mind, they are putting families at risk of imploding, when grandparents are having to decide between childminding and staying safe.
    It is unnecessarily divisive.

StJabbo1 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  3. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Seeing reports that an announcement today will tell pubs and restaurants that they will have to close at 10pm, in an attempt to better control the virus.
    Is the virus on nightshift this week? Or are they saying that pubs and restaurants are controlling safe distancing up until 10pm, and then not?

4. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I think the latter. They are hoping that people will not get as drunk and drop their guards. I think it will have the opposite effect through.

I think we are stuck between a rock and a hard place here. I’m not cutting the government any slack as they have mismanaged this awfully, but we need to stop the economy from collapsing and whole sectors from crashing whilst keeping the population alive.

Winter is coming and it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Tokenism to placate people. People will just go out earlier.

6. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get that they are trying to balance the economy with the safety measures... But I don't think this will slow the spread at all. Fully expecting another lockdown in a month or less, personally

7. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Ooh er, bumpy rides were fun when I was younger.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  8. StJabbo1

Similar approach here in the Netherlands with similar rising trends and people banging the personal freedom drum. We err, as we have from the start, on the side of caution. Avoiding crowds, wearing masks, using more alcohol on my hands than I'm drinking and doing the distance dance. Still managing to enjoy life, have a drink and something to eat out. Missing close contact with friends and family, we won't compromise.

thereisonlyoneno7 and San Tejón like this.
  9. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Half the population is pissed after 10pm, I see that frequently on public transport. So the curfew thing does make a kind of sense, though will probably result in people drinking more before the cut off.

San Tejón likes this.
  10. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

And everybody travelling home at the same time afterwards...

11. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54252272

It may be early, and, as some of you know, I’m a bit thick, but some interesting stuff in here on Herd Immunity.

Perhaps people may have differing views which could be aired. I was also unsure on if this was or wasn’t our strategy, but was led to believe it must be as I’m sure there were many comments, and links to internet articles, saying so.

Perhaps it was discussed, and some aspects of it were appealing in some ways, as I’d imagine many strategies and scenarios were.

Maybe no one truly knows the exact truth, or much of it at all. Or that, sometimes, we could wait a little before casting out those first stones.

Anyhow, I imagine not many on here want to hear so much from someone like me.

12. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Morning Billy, maybe I’m also being a bit thick too. I’m not sure what you’re saying. I’ve read the article and it doesn’t make it any clearer to me.

I agree that nobody really knows the truth and I’d expect that whatever comes out, politicians and others would duck and dive if things didn’t look favourable for themselves.

I think it’s a human nature to cast some stones (or express views/theories) against public authorities and leaders. We can’t just sit on our hands and wait for the outcomes before making comments.

If you disagree with those other views Here, you should feel free to post them and challenge others (as you do).

I don’t think I’m one that’s hammered the herd immunity point; I am someone that thinks we could have locked down harder and faster. I am certainly someone that believes the PM hasn’t come across as up to the job or behaved like a strong leader (although I think his demeanour showed last night was much better and his speech delivered in a better manner) and I don’t think his team have handled the situation well, particularly early on in the pandemic.

I’m not a Labour supporter, nor a Lib Dem nor a Tory... just for identification purposes :)

I do like to hear from you.

I don’t know what “someone like you” is, so if you turn out to be a vampire, a werewolf or a complete wrong’un, then I reserve my right to change that last view.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  13. milton archer

milton archer Well-Known Member

That report does seem inconclusive.....Billy, I tend to disagree with most of your views but I very much admire you for airing them here. Surely this forum is much healthier for receiving alternative views, hopefully we can all try to be more respectful that there will be disagreement. Anyway keep up the good work.

StJabbo1 and Archers Road like this.
  14. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Thanks Milton for posting this.

I also thought it was inconclusive, but was getting at the FOI requests show there were no conclusive strategy on Herd immunity. I wondered if the BBC were trying to make a point against the Government, as has been the case lately for an institution that was supposed to be impartial, but didn’t quite have the evidence they sought.

Sorry you dont agree with most of my views, but thanks for sharing the following stuff.

I do think the Politics thread verges on bullying at times, and I find it exhausting the constant anti conservative messages attacking people, with words and images. I only post on there when I feel I’ve had enough, but i would suggest it does affect my mental health with the constant barrage of insults, and just wonder if some people will behave when Labour get in at the next election, and other decisions have to be made that people dont agree with, their behaviour will be the same.

I also find it interesting that people who do this, often dont offer alternatives, maybe because the subjects are so difficult to conclude to the satisfaction of 100% of the population.

milton archer likes this.
  15. StJabbo1

Morning all,
    Our start to the day was interrupted by a courier delivering our new Dutch permanent residence cards replacing those which were worded to suit the UK being an EU member and therefore having EU citizenship. The new cards give full freedom of movement and work as EU citizens being Dutch permanent residents.

Next up will be having Dutch and UK passports which is an ongoing discussion in the Dutch parliament. So far as I'm aware Dutch in the UK will be allowed both whereas the English here may not have the same rights. Nice to have but not essential, the ID card is fine.

Only fly in the ointment is the rising CV cases throughout Europe and worldwide, we ain't going nowhere outside the Netherlands for the foreseeable future. .

Stay safe everyone, respect

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  16. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Who on here has downloaded the NHS test and trace app. I have and I am totally paranoid about IT security.

From my research, it is safe, anonymous and could really work. There is no identifiable info stored or transmitted.

King Grimlock and Negative Creep like this.
  17. King Grimlock

King Grimlock Well-Known Member

That's interesting as I haven't simply because I don't trust that my data is not being mined, May have to give it a 2nd look now its been upgraded

18. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I signed up for the Isle of Wight system, but then found to my alarm that my money was disappearing at a rate of knots (I am on pay as you go). Data roaming had been turned on, so I turned it off and solved the problem. Thanks, Vodaphone for alerting me. So you can understand I am reluctant to sign up for the new scheme. Perhaps there is no connection...but not taking the chance until I know for sure.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

My instinctive response is “absolutely no chance”. Probably the wrong response and I will revisit it soon, but after months of trying to be a good citizen, only to see the government try to blame the public for their own catastrophic failure to organise a Beano in a beer factory, I have absolutely zero goodwill left toward anything this shower of berks wants us to do.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  20. SaintsForTheWin

SaintsForTheWin Any holes a goal

Not at the moment, as I work from home and go to Cornwall next weekend and don’t want to be told I may have come within 10m of someone showing symptoms, and be told to self isolate.