1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

There's going to be spikes following any relaxation until a comprehensive accurate and reliable test, trace and isolate program is in place. That's including popular destination countries before any travel restrictions can be eased. Various articles today are pointing out failures in TTI informing contacts particularly in the private sector. It's a continuing shambles with SAGE requests for a lockdown ignored witch cost lives.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    davecg69 likes this.
  2. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

A SAGE expert is being quoted as saying that the risk of spreading the virus in the home, when 3 households meet, is greater than the risk of spreading the virus in a pub or restaurant.
    The reasoning is that the pubs and restaurants will be working to a higher standard of hygiene, regularly wiping and sanitising surfaces, whereas in the homes guards are likely to be dropped.
    Obviously it is a risk and I think Gove has said that the responsibility will rest solely with the people.
    I may have missed it, but has this been set in stone, or is there a proviso stating that this will be abandoned if the R rate doesn’t continue dropping, or rises?

Schrodinger's Cat likes this.
  3. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

'i' think you've over simplified things. At some point you need to divide the result by zero. Or does that make it both imaginary and complex?

4. StJabbo1

"Gove has said that the responsibility will rest solely with the people." Blame shedding bastard following the government line. Far to early to announce this, far to late to shut down, this old fart is staying put and repelling all borders. Desperately missing family and friends but erring on the side of caution, not impressed with governments response to CV here in the Netherlands or England.

davecg69 likes this.
  5. San Tejón

We are inviting our youngest son for Christmas Day, otherwise he will be on his own, something we don’t want.
    Hopefully he will stay healthy in the run up to the day.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  6. StJabbo1

Things would be so much easier with a reliable test program in place so the health of all can be monitored. It's behaving responsibly on a day to day basis that should be encouraged if not legislated for. Social reasonability overcomes individual freedoms in times of national crisis.

San Tejón likes this.
  7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Ideally no one should go anywhere, but that would make criminals of virtually everyone at Christmas. Allowing some mixing over the xmas period is not safe or ok, but just a recognition of what will happen anyway. Limiting the number of days is an attempt at limiting it and telling everyone that we are not out of it and we return to isolating after the holiday period.

8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Banning Christmas worked out really well when Oliver Cromwell tried it

thereisonlyoneno7 and StJabbo1 like this.
  9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I agree completely. I said before that the government know that many people will break any rule that’s laid down about Christmas, and this is a form of damage control.
    At the end of the day it all comes down to people taking responsibility for their own actions, just as it always has done.

10. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

3 diffrent households in 1 bubble . But you could have 5 people living in 1 household separating into 5 different bubbles visiting different bubbles all over the UK and then travelling back who could technically come into 5 other house holds and then travelling back 5 days later from those 5 different locations . But it's the public's duty to be responsible. What a bunch a blame shifting ****s!!!

11. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I swear if Boris Johnson granted everyone 3 wishes, there would be people looking for the catch whilst the rest of us have fun.

Lemons and Oranges likes this.
  12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well it is the public's duty. Travel by car not public transport. If you don't feel well don't travel. People would have met up with family regardless if it was banned or not and the police wouldn't have been able to do anything about it.

13. San Tejón

davecg69 likes this.
  14. StJabbo1

Of course they would given Johnson's proven record of lies and deceit. Ask his wives and partners, employers and colleagues.

davecg69 likes this.
  15. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I think you missed the point. You cant be in lockdown and then 3 weeks later allow people to visit whoever they want but then say " it's your fault If this goes tits up".

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  16. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Pearls before swine.

Lemons and Oranges likes this.
  17. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Just realised that Professor Andrew Pollard the lead investigator and head of the Oxford Vaccine was 2 years above me at school and my Head Boy.

St Peter’s School in Southbourne, Bournemouth.

It was a great school. Charles Rolls of Rolls-Royce also died there when he crashed his plane in the school fields and became the first Briton to be killed in an aeronautical accident with a powered aircraft.

Full of useless info today.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  18. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

We're Tier 2 where I live. That'll be a very quiet Christmas then as no mixing of households indoors

19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3 households can mix over Christmas regardless of tier.

20. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I know - I'm hoping my wife and in-laws don't though :emoticon-0105-wink: