1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Item on the news saying that there is a growing shift in scientific thinking towards members of the public wearing face masks.
    Maybe not such a daft thing to do after all.

2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Where the **** do you get them from?

They won’t stop you catching it, in fact they might give you a false sense of security and make it more likely that you catch it. They might help you not pass it on, but if you have symptoms you shouldn’t be out anyway, and if you have it with no symptoms you won’t know it because there aren’t enough ****ing tests.

If the scientists change their minds now on such a basic issue, I will ask why they lied to us for so long, because the evidence hasn’t changed. We either all need masks and always have, or we don’t.

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

4. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I would like to be wrong mate but when you have construction sites fully open with 30 odd lads in close proximity, people in parks packed together, people on busy tubes, general people flouting the rules due to these rules being vague and having grey areas then I would say, in my opinion that's a half hearted lockdown. Work from home unless you cant?! The majority cant work at home. Also the government help scheme is too slow to actually help people right now and millions need that help. They have no choice but to go back to work. All these above and many more make it half hearted.

5. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Sweet jesus, if that's the case and it's taken this long to mention it then these scientists are shocking! The trolley guy in Asda is more useful

sb_73 likes this.
  6. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I'm sure she knows really, but it spooked her. What it brought home to me, though, is how much more terrifying this thing would be if it was striking the young rather than the old. I'm not too fussed about my own safety, even though I'm in a somewhat vulnerable category (over 65, on blood pressure medication, and having had pneumonia in the past), but if my children and grandchildren were threatened I'd be taking it a lot more seriously. I read that the majority of the victims of Spanish Flu were between the ages of 20 and 40.

sb_73 likes this.
  7. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Did the link work Beth?

what’s your take on the face mask thing, and any idea on how easy it is for a symptomatic people to pass on the virus if they ain’t coughing.

Good stuff from Simon.

9. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

Okay when you cough or sneeze, you are expelling a lot of particles....and they go a long way; at least 6 metres! You move and stay away

When you are assymptomatic (that means you do not show symptoms, you do not sneeze or cough) but you do breathe in and out.
    So yes, you are exhaling smaller amounts of virus, but because you are not coughing and sneezing, but you are probably spending a bit more time in that air space of the person opposite; they are not moving away in disgust. The viral infection last longer...does that make sense?

So in the end, you get the same sort of viral load (or quantity) or probably even more.

I am afraid this is why the NHS staff may be dying.
    They could cope with a single cough (which may give them a dose of 1 million viral particles), but if they work 3x 10 hour shifts where they are with Covid19 patients coughing and spluttering over them (they get 100 x 1 million viral particles!) . They will get a BIG load and will be overwhelmed and get a serious infection

Stay safe Stainsey

NigsyHoops, BobbyD, Ninj and 2 others like this.
  10. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

It did for me Stan

sb_73 likes this.

11. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Turkish" Premier" Hoops Well-Known Member

C’mon please just because they changed their minds doesn’t mean they have been lying to us FF’s, have you never changed your mind, changed your plans last minute, changed your routine , when you did all them did you lie to yourself, no I didn’t think so.
    This is something our generation have never had to deal with, we have no idea how to react or what to do about it, so if the scientists and medical boys change the way they’re going to approach it it does not automatically mean they’ve Been lying.
    Remember the Edison story when he was asked how many times he’d done it and he said a thousand times without success and the reporter said
    “ah so you’ve failed a thousand times”
    Edison replied
    “Not at all, all I’ve done is find a thousand ways how not to do it”
    Remember all they are doing is trying to find the right way, and are trying to do it under extreme pressure and without any previous experience of something like this.
    So please give them a break Mate Their not lying, Their trying.

12. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Nice one Bobby - wonder how much this will fetch....

IMG-20200408-WA0038.jpg

kiwiqpr, SW Ranger and sb_73 like this.
  13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Not on this one Turkish. From day one, or at least two months in this country, we have known how this virus is spread. From day one those who understand airborne viruses would have known whether face masks offer any serious protection. And we have been told, consistently, including by Jonathan Van Tam deputy CMO this week, that they don’t for the general population. Not ‘watch this space, we’re studying it’. Not useful, full stop. If they change their minds now they were either lying earlier or have succumbed to some kind of cowardice because other countries have chosen something different and people here think we are doing the wrong thing. Or they are all incompetent.

If the guidance changes I hope they have the guts to say how many lives they think have been lost because they didn’t offer this advice a month ago, and who will be resigning in shame for getting something so ****ing simple wrong.

And anyway, where are we going to get them from? Even Stainsey only gets a **** one.

Sorry, this kind of stuff pisses me off. There was absolutely no risk in saying weeks ago ‘masks might be a decent idea, but they are not a guarantee of anything’. But we were told ‘nah, don’t bother, waste of time.’

Hopefully I’m having a small aneurysm over nothing and the guidance won’t be changed, on the grounds that the current guidance is right.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    bobmid, SW Ranger and Staines R's like this.
  14. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is that a surgical face mask will do more to protect people FROM the wearer, rather than protect the wearer itself.
    A surgical mask has gaps and doesn’t cover other portals of entry for infection eg eyes, therefore leaving the wearer open to the virus. In that note, we now MUST wear eye protection when attending a COVID possible job to minimise the risk.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    qprbeth, NigsyHoops, kiwiqpr and 3 others like this.
  15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

That’s what I always understood, if you have the virus wear a mask (though you should be in isolation anyway); if your work takes you into contact with people with the virus wear professional PPE; if you don’t have the virus/don’t think you have the virus, stay two metres away from everyone else outside your household.

16. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

A complete lockdown is possible in any country
    All but essential business closes
    Only supermarkets and pharmacys open
    Essential workers only can go to work
    Only one per person from each household can go to the shops
    Exercise in local area
    Government support with benefits for all
    It's been working mostly here for two weeks now without any rioting

bobmid likes this.
  17. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

18. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

I have yet to hear a credible argument that a mask is a good idea for the general public.
    How often do you replace your mask? (where do you get replacements?)
    Where do you put your mask when not wearing it? Do you wash your hands every time you touch your mask? Will everyone?
    If people have their own handmade mask(s) will people correctly wash them in a 60 degree wash, or boil them, to ensure they are virus clean?
    Is there a guarantee people won’t touch worn masks?
    Too many questions. Too much risk. Not credible.
    Taking Staines point, is the next thing to be everyone wearing eye protection too? All the same questions above apply. Double the risks?

Staines R's and sb_73 like this.
  19. rangercol

Woah. Easy Mr angry.
    Why would they lie?
    I have two good quality face masks used to keep out weed killer particles when fine spraying.
    I use one when in close proximity to others in a shop. No other time.
    I understand the limitations and I know the virus could be on the outside of the mask or go into my eyes (I haven't worn goggles with it, but maybe I should)
    I also know the particles of the virus are probably too small for the mask to keep out, although I'm not sure as it is a high spec mask.
    As long as I treat the mask as if its got the virus on it and wash my hands before touching my face and don't fiddle with it whilst on, I'm starting to think it may be of some benefit.
    Especially as a computer simulation on the news showed a cough spreading the virus across two supermarket shopping lanes.
    I admit I'm getting a bit paranoid about catching this thing, as it will stop my income and probably infect the other 3 family members.
    Maybe it just makes me feel better with it on when surrounded by knobs.

As I keep saying. We're all just doing what we think will help us and ours.

20. rangercol

Wear it once a week for shopping.
    Leave it away from the house for the seven days or so that its not worn.
    I believe the virus can't survive on any surface longer than around 72 hours and doesn't like being in the fresh air.
    Yes wash your hands after handling it.
    Could also wipe the mask down with hand wash or disinfectant.

jeffranger likes this.