1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

No, they are just inconsiderate tw2ts.

2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

IMG-20200921-WA0006.jpg

Willhoops, QPR Oslo, bobmid and 6 others like this.
  3. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

Any new lockdown would have to be accompanied by a far higher level of communication than the last one was. The bulk of the population needs to be able to identify exactly what is 'high risk', 'low risk' and 'no risk'. It's obvious that 'high risk' means indoor clusters of people in contrast to outside where you have little real risk of contracting this. Politicians and the media have become obsessed with the dangers of frolicking on beaches or of participating in protest gatherings - but in contrast a far greater risk was presented by their initial advice to sick people ie. to remain at home as long as possible before seeking medical care. Delays in seeking care not only diminished survival chances but also exposed household members to significant infection risk and high viral load. It's well known that 80% of all infections happened within the family - meaning that many of the 4,000 new British infections from today will be related to each other. In hindsight many of the measures used in the last lockdown will be regarded as stupid in the near future - there has been scant evidence that anyone has actually contracted this disease by touch, so all the hand washing may have been in vain. It will be interesting to see what happens in those countries where fans are being allowed back into stadiums (15,000 were allowed at Ajax yesterday) - monitoring of that will tell us a lot.

UTRs likes this.
  4. Steelmonkey

No idea of the veracity of this, but this has just been sent to me supposedly outlining the Scottish goverments plans for new lockdown (sorry for the ****ty picture!)

20200921_173750.jpg

kiwiqpr and UTRs like this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Inevitable I think.

Do you think the Scots will ban travel to and from England? Or quarantine if they visit?

Taking my daughter back to Uni in Newcastle on Friday. She probably won’t be able to do anything regarding study there that she couldn’t do from home, but we are paying rent on a house she is sharing with seven mates, and after more than six months at home with us she deserves a change of scene. Usually I’d stay over and have a big night out with a couple of good friends I have up there, but we have decided it’s just not worth it this time, I’ll be driving there and back on the day. Shame, the Toon is a great place for a few drinks.

6. Steelmonkey

No idea about the quarantine issue - hope not as most of my work is down there at the moment, although I am categorised as a key worker so should be exempt anyway.

My son starts Uni next week, and all his lessons up til Christmas are online, so he'll be doing it all from home.

7. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

So that we have more people, with no underlying health problems getting ill and suffering from long covid, even if the original infection didn't cause them many problems?
    Thing is mate, you forever rubbish all these warnings and statistics from knowledgeable medical people, which is your right, but what do you think should be done from tomorrow?
    Forget the past mistakes etc, what do you think should happen from now on?

Steelmonkey likes this.
  8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Was he meant to be in halls of residence? Most places seem to be getting students to go on campus, especially first years. I’m guessing that this is more about income generation from university owned accommodation than study requirements. Universities are really on the edge through this, mainly because they have turned into profit centres rather than seats of learning. Plus strong chances of another string of lecturer strikes firstly through ‘safety’ concerns, and then because they are still in dispute about their pensions.

9. rangercol

Will managed to finish his degree from home this year, but had zero help and virtually no contact from any lecturers from the moment he returned home to finish his degree online in April.
    Of course there'll be no reduction in the fees!!

mapleranger, Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  10. Steelmonkey

No mate, he's commuting. 35 minutes on train to Glasgow Central from where we are, then a ten minute walk to Glasgow Caledonian. There's a pile of his mates, all going to different Unis in Glasgow so they were planning on commuting for year 1, then moving into digs for the remainder of the course.

What are tuition fees? :emoticon-0136-giggl

11. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

I don’t rubbish the warnings and statistics Col, but what I do is to point out that it seems certain experts and non-experts seem to revel in the doom and gloom scenario, thus creating panic. As I pointed out, a case of COVID does not certainly amount to a death or long term illness....in many people it will not even be noticed and in the vast majority it will be a mild illness. in saying that I am no way belittling the tragic circumstances of people who are suffering long term.
    I feel, and it is my personal opinion which is my right, that we cannot go on like this forever. We cannot keep closing everything down and killing other people through missed appointments, MH and creating poverty.
    I said from the very beginning of all this, that I thought ‘herd immunity’ was and still is the way forward.....some experts agree, some disagree.......it all seems to be a matter of opinions.
    I think we need to go forward now with that idea, though it may be too late, and get as many young and fit infected as possible, whilst shielding and protecting the weak and old. Of course every effort should be made in the meantime to create a vaccine, though for something to be safe I fear that will take many years.

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll disagree but there you go.....

BobbyD and UTRs like this.
  12. colognehornet

It may appear a stupid question but how can you get as many young and fit infected as possible and, at the same time, protect the weak and the old ? This assumes that you have no contact points between the generations. The idea of 'herd immunity' was always nonsense because in order to achieve that it would need upwards of 40% of the population to be infected ie. about 25 million in Britain's case - even if only 2-3% of those were hospital cases the health system would collapse.

rangercol likes this.
  13. rangercol

I'm as concerned as you are about the effects of lockdown on everything you mention.
    I don't have the answers, but I am hesitant to purposely infect people, via herd immunity, with a virus that could leave them very ill.

14. Staines R's

Well there are reports in the Times today that suggests that Sweden is beating the virus through herd immunity rather than lockdowns.
    What do you suggest then ?

15. Staines R's

Im not saying it is without risks Col, but I’ll put it to you now as I did to Cologne.....What do you suggest ?

16. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

please log in to view this image

Steelmonkey likes this.
  17. rangercol

As I said, I don't have the answer.
    However, I don't agree with letting the thing rip through the population. The young will inevitably begin to infect older people.
    On a selfish note, being in my late fifties, I really don't want to get it.
    I do think that the NHS should return to as near to normal as possible and that the economy should be left as open as possible too.
    I guess I broadly support what's happening, but I'd make the NHS more accessible.
    Until the majority of the medical experts agree with you, I won't be changing my views on that (probably).

Steelmonkey likes this.
  18. colognehornet

It is rather too late for my suggestion Staines. I would have gone for the long haul - it was always imperative to try to find out where people were becoming infected in order to target a lockdown. The problem is that we still don't know which measures were successfull and which were superfluous, and we have had about 7 months in order to find out. I would have tried all the measures one after another (for 2 weeks in each case) to find out which worked most effectively. This would have taken time, but we have had enough of that.

19. Staines R's

As I won’t be changing mine.

20. Staines R's

But surely 2 weeks wouldn’t be enough to work out data as to what was effective.
    As I keep bleating on....there’s seems to be no wrong or right answer in all this and just opinions.
    Luckily for us, we don’t make the rules