1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Beth I have no idea. I don't expect a miracle vaccine. I don't think that lockdowns are a long term answer. TBH I don't think the government really knows what to do. I listened to Macron the other day and he could have been talking about the UK? I think many countries are struggling with this in one way or another ( except China, surprise surprise). I think we need to learn to live with it because I believe it will be around for some time. The scenes in Liverpool and Manchester with idiots partying in the streets is not the way we should act.

2. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

Nines, tell us why you feel like you do.

I’m surprised no one has asked, instead just baffled by your stance.

What are you not happy with? and why?

kiwiqpr and QPR999 like this.
  3. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

How one feels is different to believing that the virus "has gone".
    No one is "happy" with all this.

sb_73 and Steelmonkey like this.
  4. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

With all the talk about ‘circuit breakers’ and ‘fire breaks (why do people feel that they have to rename something that is already out in the domain ‘just because’ - does my head in) - has there actually been any science and evidence into the actual effective timeline for a shutdown. It seems that if you have to quarantine for 10-14 days (not sure what it is now), then two weeks isn’t long enough. Doesn’t three weeks make sense, or should it be a calendar month?

That said, if people are going to work, travelling on public transport then there remains a reasonable percentage that will continue to spread the virus (even if below the R1 level - weren’t we there before and it has soared). For instance, I know of plenty of welsh workers who travel over to Bristol to work every day and mostly from the already Tier-3 areas.

It makes it hard to see the impact of a nationwide circuit-break/fire-break/other-break-name. If the impact is minimal to people, and crippling to industry, what should the correct decision be. I’ve no bloody idea.

5. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I agree to an extent. We would only be hiding from it but it would give us valuable time to fix this test and trace. I seriously cant believe that people dont get retested after their isolation period, they are just heading back out. Such a simple, logical thing to do but obviously 12 billion doesn't cover that. As for a magic money tree, dont make me laugh, look at what has been absolutely wasted on useless PPE and tests, consultant fees, private contracts etc. Its there when they choose it to be. We can pay a prick 7 grand a day for something that doesnt work yet wont (not cant) pay poverty stricken children enough to feed themselves. It is a tricky situation though, granted. It's just not right in anyones book.

BobbyD and kiwiqpr like this.
  6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Bob you need to cut the politics out and stick to the points. I turned off reading your post again when you started going on about £12b and £7k a day. It's like every other post from you.... boring now mate. Give an opinion without all the rhetoric. :emoticon-0148-yes:

Goldhawk-Road and jeffranger like this.
  7. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I had just read the trace and track consultants are getting 7 grand a day.
    This is unbelievable as certainly some ( perhaps many) have no scientific training in these sorts of things..e.g. Dido Harding

People who support the SAGE committee and sub committee members, and who actually do the research and compile mini reports...get paid nothing....they are all academic researchers, doing their "day job".

I wouldn't mind so much if the well paid consultants did a good job ...and actually took notice of the reports they are presented with..

bobmid likes this.
  8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

yup, and here's michael gove telling everyone 7k a day for our consultants is great value for money

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ace-consultants-pay-coronavirus-b1129810.html

(loads of other links to). That one person on 7k a year based on a 200 day working year will be laughing at there 1.4m billing

10m spent on 40 consultants for 4 months work. Dido harding must be laughing all the way to the bank

9. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Unfortunately mate, these are vital parts of the points that YOU made and again you have to lower yourself to insulting posts rather than engaging. It's a shame as sometimes (not often) I do like your posts.

10. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter mate I have seen how this thread went a while back.

11. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

She’s done the job that was asked of her. Not the one that needed to be done admittedly.

12. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Oh please dont mention facts and figures, as our resident far right activist will shoot you down as a point scorer

13. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

It wouldn’t be quite so bad (would still be pretty bad) if the consultant was taking home that £7k. A big chunk of it will be going to Boston Consulting. Without checking, I’d wager there’s a link to the Party there.

14. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Yea people giving opinions, posting opinions, stating facts, stating **** ups etc. At every turn you, yes you tell them they are boring, talking rubbish blah blah, because you cant handle the truth. Get over it mate, engage, debate your disagreement. :emoticon-0127-lipss

15. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I've just read an article (dont know how true) via a leaked document that only one public health expert sits in Dido Hardings test and trace executive committee! Others include executives from Waitrose, Sainsburys, Land rover and someone from her old firm Talk Talk. Quite incredible really!

16. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

What we need is a government led industrial and coordination strategy to achieve universal testing. If all resources had been channeled to this from day one then we would be in a very different position now. In order to do this we would need a coordinated strategy which by passed the private sector. On a global scale it would cost an estimated 2 Trillion dollars to test the entire World's population - but balancing this against the costs of one lockdown after another, and the billions being invested in looking for a vaccine makes this sum look very different. I am horrified by the lack of a European response to this crisis - it's as if we don't have a pandemic at all, but just a series of national epidemics where each country is left to sort out its own crisis. It should be possible that a country like Germany is able to allocate its resources to test its entire population (if a country can be organized to all vote on one particular day then this is possible as well)- a circuit breaker lockdown would only really make sense if accompanied by such a massive testing programme.

17. Willhoops

Willhoops Well-Known Member

Oh that's naughty, talking about me and not tagging tut tut, also very naughty considering you misrepresenting me, can you please stop doing such things.

Thanks

18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Go away and watch a Chelsea game. You are becoming a stalker.

19. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Very politely done Wills. Well done for showing such restraint

Willhoops likes this.
  20. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

cant get a table at your favourite restaurant due to covid restrictions
    bring a tent

SW Ranger likes this.