1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Good luck Peter
    Keep on pushing for the appointment.

peter1954qpr likes this.
  2. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

No, I don’t know her, looks like a life sciences venture capitalist to me, also I note her husband is a Tory MP, Jesse Norman, Financial Secretary to the Treasury.

So, it looks like jobs for mates again, but let’s hope she’s good.

3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

She did seem very clued up, I must say. I'd have more faith in her than I would in Dickie-Dido.

sb_73 likes this.
  4. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm into Level 3 as of Monday...

Covid in Scotland: What level has your area been put in?

please log in to view this image
    IMAGE COPYRIGHTPA MEDIA
    A new five-level system of local Covid restrictions comes into force at 0600 on Monday 2 November. Each of Scotland's 32 local authorities has been assigned one of the levels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-54703899

Guidelines for levels in Scotland

SmartSelect_20201029-201604_Opera.jpg

5. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

That conspiracy theorist/former chief scientific officer of Pfizer is at it again.

You’ll need to give up 40 minutes of your time if you want to listen to this.

In summary he believes the pandemic ended in June, stating there has been no excess mortality since. There are certainly no unusual numbers of respiratory related deaths now, compared to other years. The spike in deaths of 45-65 year olds is a result of not having access to the nhs for months.

He slams the test, the trustworthiness of it, the over amplification of samples.

He believes he can see exactly what is going on, he just doesn’t know why.

6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Bloody hell Woody 40 minutes! <yikes> Cant you find stuff that's only 4 minutes long? You know what the modern world is like?

7. Woodyhoopleson

Some things can’t be achieved in 4 mins Ellers, apparently.

8. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Not in my household :emoticon-0102-bigsm
    Anyway I do miss are conspiracy thread and when I finish my project I will catch up on a few bits. :emoticon-0148-yes:

qprbeth likes this.
  9. Woodyhoopleson

You could listen to Mike Yeadon, above, in 10 or so 4 minute sessions.

Is he credible?

ELLERS likes this.
  10. Stroller

Just watched it and he seems very credible to me (she's a pain in the arse), but what I would keep coming back to is, Why?

I'd be interested in the views of Beth and Stan on what Yeadon has to say, though.

11. Woodyhoopleson

I’d also be interested to know why there still has been no large scale, open scientific debate.

12. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

please log in to view this image

Steelmonkey likes this.
  13. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

To be honest I haven’t listened to it and I don’t intend to so it’s not fair to comment on the detail. I wish people would stop referring to him as Pfizer’s Chief Scientific Officer though, he was a VP and CSO of one research division based in Sandwich which was closed and he was laid off. If he said, as Woody implied, that there have been no excess deaths since June, he is wrong sadly we are once again in the excess deaths zone, 700 more than the five year average in the week to 16 October according to the ONS, most of these attributed to COVID.

He is a proper scientist, he has made a lot of money trading an investigational drug he got venture capitalists to buy off Pfizer and then sold to Novartis. He is certainly more credible than others who seem to believe the same stuff as him and offer him a platform - as he keeps on appearing presumably he shares certain views with Julia Hartley Whatsherface, David Icke and James Delingpole etc.

Even if there is something in his arguments it doesn’t change the fact that, as of today, there are more admissions to hospital (attributed to the virus) and more deaths than SAGE predicted in its ‘reasonable worst case scenario’. Which I suppose shows that SAGE is pretty **** as well, but so what if the tests are not as accurate as we’d like, if people are still dying in these numbers that’s not an argument to loosen restrictions. An argument for that would be either on ideological grounds, like Hitchens P and Lord ‘don’t let the poor breed’ Sumption, or with evidence that the measures don’t work. I for one would still love to see evidence for or against mask wearing, about immunity for those who have had the disease and how this works for those with mild/asymptomatic infections etc.

Quite depressing today, the scenes from Nottingham reminded me of the Masque of the Red Death, or some medieval millenarian cult, dancing in welcome of destruction, in feverish, crazed desperation. Looks like the whole of Europe is in the same boat. In the 1918 flu, the second wave was much worse than the first. The social contract is being stretched very thin indeed. In times like these people turn to shamen and charlatans for leadership. Who am I to say whether Yeadon or SAGE are scientific or spiritual leaders?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    rangercol and kiwiqpr like this.
  15. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

apparently there has been a study done but the medical journals (three anyway how many medical journals are there) wont publish the results
    I think a Danish paper might have published something

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

On a brighter note (and I am seriously pissed off with all this **** today) for all of you in my boat - working from home but not receiving any allowance from my company for doing this, because I don’t ‘officially’ work from home, even though I have no choice but to work from home.....you might be due a tax refund or code adjustment if you fill in your own tax return (or like me pay someone to do it for you, the most stress relieving decision I have ever made). Don’t think it will be much, but better than nowt. I’m sure the accountants on here could confirm or tell me I’ve got it wrong.

No criticism of my or other companies implied.

17. Stroller

One of his main points was that the fact that Covid antibodies have been shown not to last long is largely irrelevant due to 'T-Cell immunity', which, even if you can then contract the virus more than once, would ensure that the second time will be a much milder dose. He contends that the virus has therefore already become no more dangerous than seasonal 'flu and that the pandemic is effectively over. People will continue to die from Covid, but more are currently dying from 'protecting the NHS'.

I think.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Bloke sounds like a eugenicist - plenty of people - 45,000 so far, potentially another 85,000 to come - haven’t been able to rely on their T cells because they are/will be dead. Tens of thousands more will be living with long COVID. A tiny percentage of the whole population, but still big numbers.

No argument that whatever the current strategy is it doesn’t seem to be working - people dying of the virus, of poor/ no care from the NHS, economy ****ed (just heard on telly 320 applicants for a single minimum wage job), despite the protection NHS up **** creek. If you think whatever Yeadon suggests is genuinely going to turn any aspect of this around, great. But although we have been conspicuously poor, every other major European country is on a similar path (yes, even Sweden, it actually has lots of measures in place, just trusts people to follow them without legislating) and none of them seem to give credence to his opinions. So you enter global conspiracy territory.....

rangercol and mapleranger like this.
  19. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

£6 a week, you can claim it direct from HMRC if your employer does not pay it...

sb_73 likes this.
  20. Stroller

I can't really see why you would pin him as a eugenicist. It would probably be better if you listened to him yourself rather than my feeble attempts to put his case for him, but I think Yeadon believes that the original lock-down was necessary, but that there is no longer any justification for treating Covid any differently than seasonal 'flu.

It was how I already felt, so confirmation bias at work.