1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

2. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

please log in to view this image

finglasqpr likes this.
  3. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Vaccine passports anybody? I don't have any objections, but it seems that many do. The only proviso I would make is that everyone over 18 should have been offered a vaccination before they are introduced.​

4. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

5. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Do you still think the fast growing number of very serious unusual blood clotting cases with deaths, after taking AZ vaccine across Europe, is just akin to anti-vac bullsh*t / growing extra arms Beth? Or are you taking it seriously now?

EMA and the MHRA/JCVI seem at last to have pulled their long necks out of the sand. AZ won't be given in the UK to the under 30's any more. Van Tam reckons the UK can cover that shortfall in vaccine with Pfizer and Moderna coming in. Warnings about the serious side effects should be added to each AZ vaccine package according to the EMA.

6. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Four deaths / million vaccine shots in UK.
    (Edit...re read notes 7-9 deaths in 25 million vaccine doses)

Versus over 120,000 deaths from Covid, with double that of people suffering with long Covid.

Always took it seriously...and also still taking it seriously with a sense of perspective.

The risk of vaccine side effects versus the risk of Covid...only has a role in the group who barely get Covid ...under 30.

It is a bit like saying...let's not give statins to kids...as the side effects may kill them.

The difference though is... youngsters transmit Covid...so they need to be vaccinated..
    So we are very lucky...we can give them another vaccine...until they too are shown to have very rare side effects too....

Hoop-Leif, ELLERS and rangercol like this.
  7. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Sad to find out I’m just about old enough for AZ. Might have to buy some slippers and start voting Tory.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Can we give them all the measles vaccine at the same time

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

You also forgot to add that the blood clotting and deaths are much higher once you get covid.

This is what the EMA has said:
    The European Medicines Agency (EMA) said it has found a "possible link" between the AstraZeneca COVID-19 jab and "very rare cases" of blood clots.
    The EMA nonetheless maintained that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks of side effects, explaining that COVID-19 is a "very serious disease."
    The EMA is asking for further studies including laboratory studies, clinical trials and epidemiological studies.

So basically they are saying the benefits outweigh the risks.

Also I don't like Oslo's description of 'serious side effects'
    when they actually said:
    European regulator the EMA took a bolder approach, saying that blood clots should be listed as a 'very rare' side effect of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Maybe I am wrong and Oslo can correct me.

qprbeth likes this.
  10. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

You may find that you get another vaccine anyway? The AZ doses are getting squeezed by the EU and things are slowing down so we may use others to make up the shortage.

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

please log in to view this image

BobbyD and ELLERS like this.
  12. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

<laugh> does that cover 4 people?

highglossranger and kiwiqpr like this.
  13. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

You're ridiculously over-playing this.
    These side effects are very, very rare.
    Do you take paracetamol or ibuprofen?
    Have you read about their very rare side effects?
    This scaremongering will cost lives imo.

14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

It has already cost thousands of lives in Europe, and will cost thousands more there because of their vaccine anxiety, which will spread to the other vaccines and especially the Johnson and Johnson and Russian ones, which are similar to the AZ one. The 20 million unused doses sitting in the EU could have been protecting vulnerable people, instead the messages have been mixed and the scaremongering spiteful, largely from politicians. The regulators, both here and the EMA, have done their jobs well. There is a minuscule risk, and as you point out this is the same with most ‘common’ drugs. I can see the point of giving youngsters a choice - to be frank they won’t benefit from getting vaccinated, they are very unlikely to get seriously ill from COVID, they are being vaccinated to protect us old gits. I wouldn’t give any vaccine of this type to children, not because they are likely to suffer side effects, but even an infinitesimally small chance outweighs the risk to them of the disease.

The U.K. should come out of this ok, the AZ vaccine has done its job and been the workhorse to get the vast majority of the most vulnerable vaccinated incredibly quickly (but look at the US go too!) and I think most of us who have had one jab will happily get the second (I certainly will), and we will have enough of other stuff to keep going. I worry that all of this crap will adversely effect uptake in poorer countries where, because of cost and ease of storage, AZ vaccine will be key. And if everyone else doesn’t get jabbed, living in splendid isolation will be a tedious necessity and the likelihood of new, nasty, vaccine immune variants grows exponentially.

All because a basic understanding of statistics, risk, and risk ratios is clearly beyond many.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  15. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

This is so brilliantly put Stan.

AZ has done the UK proud. We will probably be okay...
    But if the rest of the world lags behind, because they cannot afford, cannot get, do not trust, are not given the vaccines, in the long run...Covid will just keep coming back as Covid22, Covid25, Covid 30...as nauseum

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Risk of a rare blood clot in people who receive the AZ vaccine = 4 in 1,000,000 ( 0.0004% )

Risk of a rare blood clot in women who take 'The Pill' = 5 in 10,000 ( 0.05% )
    In the USA they estimate it to be 1 in 1,000 ( 0.1% )

Risk of deep vein thrombosis from flying* = 1 in 1,000 ( 0.1% )

*This increases two to threefold in flights over four hours.

The risk of travel-related DVT in healthy people works out at:

One event per 106,667 flights, for flights lasting less than four hours
    One event per 4,656 flights, for flights lasting over four hours
    One event per 1,264 flights, for flights lasting over 16 hours

Link :-
    COVID-19: What's the AstraZeneca blood clot risk and how does it compare to flights, surgery, and other medicines? | Politics News | Sky News

17. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I had the AZ vaccine two weeks ago today. I didn't even realise it had been administered, and didn't feel a thing. No symptoms afterwards either, nothing, not even a mild headache which they said I'd probably get and to take paracetamol. Which I didn't need to take.

peter1954qpr, ELLERS and jeffranger like this.
  18. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I had the AZ nearly 3 weeks ago.
    I had a few side effects, like a headache and feeling a bit fluey.
    My arm was sore for a few days too.
    Thing is, brain aneurysms run in the family and I still had the AZ vaccine after looking into the data.
    I suggest others should do the same.

peter1954qpr, qprbeth, ELLERS and 2 others like this.
  19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I hope you're ok now Col, the brain aneurysm issue must've been of some concern. The only other person that I personally know who's had an adverse reaction to any of the vaccines is my neighbour's son in law. He was laid out on the couch for two days and unable to move. I'm not sure which vaccine he had, I must ask when I see them.

20. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

SW Ranger and QPR999 like this.