1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Semantics sir. it's a long time since I've got annoyed by any poster on the Forum. Perhaps I've mellowed or matured. Or perhaps as with QT now that Brexit has been decided, we. like our politicians have remembered that it's ok for someone to have a different point of view. and haven't felt the need to denigrate them in public.

Goldhawk-Road and sb_73 like this.
  2. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest Bob, I posted about going in to work today expecting criticism, but also to demonstrate that I was acting within government guidelines.

3. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

Free money for 3 months, no repayments.

Stroller likes this.
  4. Woodyhoopleson

If the economy dies, more people will die of the ensuing inevitable massive austerity or be homeless and penniless when they cannot repay the loans etc, than will die of this thing. Perhaps.

5. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I could criticise but your situation is your situation, your actions hopefully dont infect anyone or you hopefully dont get infected yourself. Theres a big hoorah about the gatherings at the weekend (and rightly so). What you did today was in my opinion just the same. That's just my opinion. We have seen how just one person can infect so many both indirectly and unintentionally. I just hope it wasn't a devastating experiment to highlight the government's guidelines.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  6. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Unlock then hey let's all just risk it.
    I would rather have a loan I couldn't pay back over losing a loved one any day of the week. Like I said, each to their own.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  7. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

kiwiqpr likes this.
  8. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Is Trump right then?

kiwiqpr likes this.
  9. Woodyhoopleson

I think the decision to create global depression is completely disproportionate to the crisis, by an enormous factor.

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  10. Stroller

As I have said, I didn't get within 6 feet of anyone all day. Plenty of handwashing, no danger to anyone. I think the experiment that Trump is about to undertake in the US will be rather more dangerous.

11. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

I was out at work all day, came across one other person (we kept our distance) and I was at four seperate sites, travelled in my own vehicle and had plenty of handwash with me.

At petrol station (have you seen how cheap diesel is now?) wore gloves, pay-at-pump, and disposed of them and immediately handwashed after, including my debit card.

Uber_Hoop and rangercol like this.
  12. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Could help my pension.

13. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

14. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

i'd like to think that Trumps speech saying it will all be over by Easter was just a speech to give people a little hope to hold onto.

I also hope that Boris (let's face it, whether you like him or Tories or not) hasn't had an easy start. If he can provide enough to everyone during this crisis to keep people in their homes with food in their stomachs then they will probably repay by helping make this country Great again

Keep safe everyone

bobmid likes this.
  15. Goldhawk-Road

Five million people use the London Underground apparently. Even with some drop off that's a hell of a lot of people to pack in carriages, and most travel during the rush hour. And Sadiq Khan cuts the numbers of trains.

When I worked in London and used the Northern Line, I got an average of three head colds a year. I'm sure I got them on packed tubes. The virus will spread on these trains faster than anywhere else

PS I stopped working in London in 1998, and have had only one head cold since.

16. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Is this right? We know that we won't have any data on the lag indicator - deaths per day - until two weeks post lockdown, but the lead indicator - number of new infections per day - could start to drop before the two/three week lockdown deadline.

17. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I was working all day.
    Drove to and from work in my car, alone.
    Met no one face to face all day.
    Used hand sanitiser all day.
    No public transport.
    Couldn't be any safer imo.

Steelmonkey, Uber_Hoop and Ninj like this.
  18. Stroller

A couple of years ago, I went for general heath check-up at my GP surgery. Apart from high blood pressure, all was good, but I did mention to him that I seemed to get one head cold after another. 'Just keep washing your hands', he said.

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

This side of the argument seems to be getting no traction, or even a hearing, anywhere other than the White House. It’s a shame because it is the real decision. To be honest I was sort of on this side to begin with, until I realised that if we let this rip the additional death toll might be enormous, and that the instant and total collapse of our health services (still a possibility) would be shattering.

Personally I suspect that the measures are mainly about avoiding the political disaster of a collapsed NHS rather than saving the vulnerable, and that they have calculated that we let the establishment get away with the last financial crash which they were completely responsible for, so they are probably thinking we’ll let them off with another ten years of misery for a rather better reason.

But will we?
    we have no accurate way of measuring the real number of new infections a day. We are only testing people ill enough to go to hospital, a tiny fraction of infections. Death rate are the only reliable measure I think.

20. Goldhawk-Road

And did it work?