1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by brb, Feb 25, 2020.

?

Boris...

1. should completely lock us down immediately and fook up all our Christmas'

12.5%
  2. let the bodies stack high

54.2%
  3. lock us down from the 29th to fook up Treble's plans

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

As a key worker who has not had one day off during this pandemic, can I say that cuts both ways, especially as several of my friends, family and neighbours in the private sector enjoyed a lovely summer being furloughed, 'working from home', 'stood down' and developing the back garden tans in the spa bath.

I appreciate that many of them are now facing an uncertain future when the furlough scheme ends, but forgive me for being a tad pissed off when those of us who worked through the crisis, and continue to do so, are asked to pay for those who didn't and then be told how lucky we are to have a job. Especially after Boris said he's 'proud' at how @£18bn has been wasted on crony contracts for PPE that, in a lot of cases, didn't even get used.

2. Schlem Boogerman

Schlem Boogerman Well-Known Member

<applause>

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

That's fair enough mate. I worked throughout too as many of you know.

But you could flip that another way; as alluded to in my next post what about the people who lost out financially but also missed out on governmental support? Should they also be exempt?

Are we saying that only those who received furlough/mortgage holidays should contribute towards it?

Bumps likes this.
  4. Schlem Boogerman

Schlem Boogerman Well-Known Member

Why should the nurses and doctors be exempt from the pay freeze?

5. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

****ing lamentable comment that

I personally pulled three people out of the sea this past summer plus literally hundreds of other near misses cause i decided to volunteer into a role that i usually get get paid minimum wage for - whatever that may be depending on the year

I worked 7 days a week until COVID kicked in - then went out everything i do (i was also in a band)
    There are huge chunks of people who have gone since March with no money or help offered to them (according to Gov 4% small minority, guess i am just unlucky)

Libby has put a reasonable argument across.

As per there are huge chasms and disparities depending on the area you work and which industry, a freeze is not that a horrendous suggestion

Out of 20 years my pay has been frozen for 14 of them - you make do

When everyone flocked to the beach this summer I was working overtime getting people to safety as a volunteer in the hope that I will some how keep my role in the future. Today i am expecting to be told i am being made redundant for the third time since march.

Ps i did NOT want to be placed on furlough - i didn't get a choice
    I did not sit at home doing jack
    As soon as restrictions were relaxed I put on training for my grassroots kids and was knocking out 20 one to one sessions to stay in the guidance - so 20 hours a week for no pay just for the love
    Prior to that i was running zoom sessions, again not doing jack

So calling me a furlough **** doing jack
    Totally out of line

Everything is fluid and all options need to be considered, because once this **** storm is over there is an even bigger **** storm coming, the gap between the haves and the have nots is growing every day

Big Ern likes this.
  6. Prince Knut

My daughter is a nurse, and I could be wrong but I thought they'd signed a three-year deal before the pandemic? That's what Hancock was saying back in April when people were still clapping the NHS and calling for them to get a pay rise. Not sure about doctors though.

Edit: runs out next March

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

I wouldn't be against that, but then you could say paramedics and police as well, and plenty others.

8. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

They shouldn't but there would be a massive **** storm
    Maybe stop paying consultants £145k a year (i knew an anaesthetist consultant that was his wage 10 years ago) for a job that has zero accountability and use that money to bring up the level of the front line staff

Doctors are fine financially a freeze for a year wont really effect their lives or it shouldn’t

However this argument can be applied to top level pro footballers and top end actors

Its a **** world and its getting ****ter

9. Prince Knut

The Daily Mail and The Sun are already framing that narrative in terms of public versus private sector. You can see what's coming, and most will fall for it, believing a nurse's pay rise will equate hard-working, middle class self employed accountants who pay sod all tax anyway having to struggle by with a slightly less generous tax break on their VAT returns.​

Big Ern, aberdude and Bumps like this.
  10. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

Read what you said above and totally see your point of view

Thats why there is a massive **** storm coming

Looks like divide and conquer to me from the government

I objected to being told that i am a **** doing nothing cause i was placed on furlough.

Equally i totally agree that front line workers do not get enough pay, no where near enough

As i said the pay structure is all wrong the battle is and always will be the rich and the poor, its not any one group of people its the whole system

Just have to get through it i guess

aberdude and Prince Knut like this.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

The cost of this pandemic is still way less in terms of Govt spending than the bail out of the banks during and post the WW crash in 2008.

Let’s remind ourselves of who ended up paying that back. Oh yeah, it was funded by slashing public services, with fire, police, NHS, education and the armed forces all taking huge budget cuts. Who else paid for it? Oh yeah public sector pay freezes. benefits slashed for the most vulnerable and councils told to slash their budgets.

Meanwhile and completely simultaneously, the Tories reduced the highest rate of income tax by 5%.

We’re all in it together they said.......

How about this time we get the offshore million / billionaire ****ers who avoid paying their fair share, despite living here. For example, a certain Mr Rees Mogg - who’s hedge fund business has made over £100m net profit in recent years, but has paid £0 in U.K. corporation tax. Let’s round those tax dodging ****ers up, together with the disruptive technologies who’ve used complex business structures to end up paying next to **** all in U.K. tax e.g. Amazon, make them pay their way.

Oh but hang on, these are largely exactly the same people who funded the Brexit campaigns, as they didn’t like the idea of the EU clamping down on tax havens. Oh well, that’s that then. Make the poor and the just surviving pay it........as per.

This country is run and more importantly controlled, by ****ing crooks, they’re no better than the mafiosa.

12. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

**** me this really really hurts

^^^^this <applause>

remembercolinlee and Tobes like this.
  13. Prince Knut

Thank you. Can't add to that. :emoticon-0148-yes:

remembercolinlee and Tobes like this.
  14. Bumps

Bumps Well-Known Member

I know
    Its bad **** - im respecting a post by Tobes
    Lets never speak of this again<laugh>
    I am now of out to see if pigs are flying south over my house

Edit
    Actually thats harsh
    I have agreed with alot that he has posted in the past its just his hatred of LFC thats the issue <laugh>

15. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

A public sector pay freeze is worth around the amount pledged for Defence yesterday. 15% or so of “Operation Moonshot”. 7% or so of Brexit. It’s very much a choice rather than an inevitability.

Prince Knut likes this.
  16. Prince Knut

Tobes's instincts have always been sound in this area. Just don't get him on null and voiding the vaccine, or VAR and the track and trace system. <whistle>

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Bumps likes this.
  17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Let’s not forget the £119bn that goes ‘missing’ every year from the Govt’s failure to tackle wilful tax avoidance.

The Govt can afford this, they just choose not to.

18. Prince Knut

I forgot the nurses' deal is due up next April. Watch as the Mail, the Telegraph and the S*n, and that Florida-tax-exile Richard Littlejohn in particular, start dripping the vitriol in articles and opinion pieces about how nurses really put their feet up for months on full pay and limitless overtime during the pandemic while old age pensioners writhed in agony dying and were ignored by slattern medical staff taking ciggy breaks and playing online bingo.

19. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Now that is a very plausible and most likely theory.

@aberdude Take note

aberdude, PINKIE and Prince Knut like this.
  20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Exactly this <applause>

Public sector pay freeze, like austerity, is a political decision. Not an economic decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.