Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Mar 3, 2020.

1. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

It’s official, we’re all ****ed.
    This is not scientific research just local. I had a hospital appointment yesterday and I couldn’t believe the amount of people not sanitising going in or out. Hospital staff not sanitising. In the current climate even my consultant offered a hand shake on entering the consultation. I declined only for him to offer his hand again on leaving and I found myself explaining my reasoning to him and his assistant.
    Today I ventured to the pub for the first time since the outbreak and I’m a regular pub goer. I went to the toilets before leaving. I’m having a piss some geezers in the shifter. I can hear what’s going on. Anyway I go to wash my hands he’s straight out the door no hand washing nothing when I went out he’s at the bar pint in hand. I thought **** this I’m not going to the pub again until all these peasants are dead.

mallafets123 likes this.
  2. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

how do you know he didn’t wash in the bowl <laugh>?

Funny thing is , all these people are just doing what they’ve always done , you’ve just became hyper alert it .
    Not sure it’s going to make a massive difference , in china they’ve been almost military in their tackling of it , it’s going down there , but it’s not possible in western societies to do that , so i guess it’s going to trundle on here for a year or so ........

3. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

I still don’t think people get it

This is not just going to trundle on
    It has barely started
    We are facing the biggest crisis since WW2 in the next few months.

this virus is deadly, out of control and there is no cure. This country is basically going to have to shut down for several months.

LG likes this.
  4. rudebwoy

sorry steveo , you’re wrong , flu 1918 was a very similar event , no cure , mortality rate 3-4 % mainly those with other problems ,in a time of no health care systems , much less travel etc , took about nine months to get around the globe ,with further outbreaks the next year ,it killed 50 million globally , the1968 hong kong flu , wasn’t as virulent but still had 4 million associated deaths .
    This one is new ,so atm no antidote etc , it’s mortality is similar to hundred years ago 3-4 % , but with health care systems i suspect much lower rates of infection and therefore deaths , a antidote will be developed and the. we wait again for another strain at some point in the future , it is not the end of life as we know it !

Cyclonic and woolcombe-folly007 like this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Timing is critical on this issue. Drastic steps too soon means the country will suffer inconvenience etc for longer than necessary. Leaving it too late will mean total loss of control. if the Government get this right it will be great achèvement. The theory is good, delay the peak period until the summer months when the NHS is not so overloaded with normal winter illnesses. However, the complacency shown in some areas is not likely to help the Government in delaying the peak. If hospitals can't follow good practice that is a concern. Tracing carriers is well underway in our area. Shaking hands and kissing when people meet has stopped. Meanwhile vaccinations are being developed at breakneck speed, but still need to animal and human testing before they can be implemented. A very tricky planning operation for the Government

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

7. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Hello chaps I only just stumbled onto this one but I have just read through the entire thread and I have to say I do enjoy the variety of conversation topics - and it does appear that a lot of the gang are here too so me, I’m happy to have the scope widened. And as for Covid-19 I think we are still very much “watch this space”. There are a couple of references to the Spanish Flu which started in 1917 I think but made a spectacular comeback a year later, which this one could do. Also this one seems unaffected by hot weather which could be a worry as I was hoping the English summer might kill it. The fatality rate is rising as well.

8. LG

LG Well-Known Member

last week I flew from Cape Town to Istanbul airport - every single passenger was tested for Covid-19 (Coronavirus) individually by a team of medics at the gate. Half the people at the airport were in masks (passengers and staff) and we were also required to fill in a form saying where we had been, where we were going and how long we were staying. Those boys were certainly taking this seriously. Arrived at Gatwick a couple of days ago and took the train to Reading (where incidentally cases have been reported), and no one gives a ****, not even a mask in sight. Including on my face I should admit. I’m now back in St Ives where I live which is basically a tourist town nowadays and it is unusually quiet. Which is fine by me.

9. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Wow italy just put the whole region of Lombardy (10 million people) into quarantine.

maybe when London gets put into quarantine next month it might finally dawn on people in the UK that there might be a problem.

LG and Ron like this.
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think a lot of people don't give a **** LG, That could be a problem

11. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Cool your jets Stevo, your scaring the old ginnies! I'd say your a barrel of laughs on a Saturday night:emoticon-0100-smile

Bustino74 and Chaninbar like this.
  12. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

From The Sport Rag. <laugh>

FOOTBALL
    Mane and Salah face BAN for touching hands amid coronavirus concerns

March 8, 2020

Liverpool stars Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah are facing lengthy bans after touching hands whilst celebrating a goal during the club's 2-1 victory over Bournemouth, in contravention of Premier League advice on coronavirus.

please log in to view this image

Both the Premier League and English Football League announced before this week's games that the usual pre-match fair-play handshakes were to be banned amid fears they could spread coronavirus.

But after linking up to score an equalising goal against a struggling Bournemouth, the pair couldn't contain themselves, selfishly touching hands and potentially starting a chain of events that could kill every professional football player on earth.

The Football Association (FA) released a statement following the game, expressing its "disappointment with the pair's complete disregard for a virus that is on the verge of wiping out the entire population" and that "both players will face severe consequences for their act of biological terrorism."

The statement also read: "As it is clear clubs are not taking coronavirus seriously and as a further precaution, all Premier League clubs have been ordered to put on a screening of the film 'Contagion', starring Matt Damon, to players and staff before games."

Chaninbar, LG, rudebwoy and 1 other person like this.
  13. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

4 symptoms of corona virus:
    Shortness of breath
    Cough
    Fever
    Inexplicable desire to hoard bog roll

Come on then folks who's loaded up their garage with the triple ply?

14. rudebwoy

Weird ,just use newspaper <laugh>

15. LG

LG Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the desire to hoard bog roll - you can't eat it and if you can't eat you won't need it

Chaninbar and Archers Road like this.
  16. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Apparently the cardboard tubes in the middle are in short supply as they are made in China.

17. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

I guess bidet sales are now moving faster than most people's bowels. :eek:

18. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Takes me back to my time in Thailand and Indonesia - no bog roll there, just water. You soon get used to it <ok>

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    LG and rudebwoy like this.
  19. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

We went shopping at our local Tesco metro yesterday and all the shelves where toilet paper is normally stocked were completely empty. The other thing was the store had a very low stock of baked beans.

Just a weird thing to see...

20. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

They can quarantine London now as it will make absolutely no difference. Viruses do not respect borders.

Clearly since you are now an avid Daily Mail reader they have got the numbers wrong because according to the BBC headlines, there are 16 million people being quarantined. I wonder if they are going to lock them all in hotels like the one in China that collapsed.

The media and political obsession with big numbers means that we can expect massive disinformation. Of the seven billion plus people on the planet, just how many have they tested and how many have actually been found to be carrying Coronavirus? As usual they are working from a small sample and then extrapolating that to get global numbers. I would not believe any number coming out of China because the dictatorship will be covering up what they do not want the outside world to know. Half the people on this forum could be carrying Coronavirus and not even know it. Much more likely none of us will be.

The footballers not shaking hands before the game kicked off was a total waste of time. They spend half the game spitting all over the place, grabbing each other and hugging in the penalty box on corners and free kicks. When a decision does not go their way, they stand face to face ranting at each other, invisibly transferring fluid droplets between them. Surely the referees should be wearing masks and carrying hand sanitiser.

LG likes this.