Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

All the best Janabelle

Cyclonic likes this.
  2. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

Thanks all. I've been applying for a few today. Royal mail near me are recruiting for delivery drivers, as well as the supermarkets. Its not a thing I've done before but when the usual options are not available (I'm a PA) you have to widen the net. Hopefully something will turn up!

Archers Road and Cyclonic like this.
  3. Dancingbraveforever

Dancingbraveforever Well-Known Member

I found Royal mails recruitment policy to be very tedious and unnecessarily long. That's why I gave Tescos a go, a far quicker process.

I'm surprised as a PA you arent allowed to work from home through all of this.
    My better half is a PA for Serco and they have no problems with any their PA's working from home and allowing them to keep their jobs through all of this.

4. Janabelle13

I worked (justarted a couple of weeks ago) for a solicitors office. A great deal of the work is still office based files plus the new starts had not yet been set up to work from home. All the other staff have been furloughed but the 2 or 3 of us who started after 28th Feb don't qualify for the Government scheme. It's a relatively small firm too which does not help.

5. Dancingbraveforever

Life is all about timing eh..

6. Janabelle13

It is indeed.

7. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

well I agree with him on this - it has barely taken off over there and they already have 2,000 dead.200,000 would be a good result -it is a big country

8. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

except it wasn’t the scientific “ community” , whatever that is ! it was a few favoured advisors , some with scientific kudos , who supported the idea , as you say , it was madness really , vast amount of other opinion was,arguing. for the approach used in far east . The problem is , as is now apparent , we were not equipped to test , nor even contain , nor even have enough basic ppe , the decimation of the health service is there for all to see , the angry missives from the front line pull no punches .
    This was clearly flagged up months ago , nothing was done , we now have a mothballed economy , massive expenditure, when a lot more organisation and preparation would have cost a fraction , and saved countless lives .....

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Very impressed by the rapid progress on providing these temporary "Nightingale hospitals"

Just shows what the British CAN do

LG and CaptainPops like this.
  10. Dancingbraveforever

Never in the history of modern civilisation can 200,000 dead people be called a very good result. And that is despite any circumstances that happen or may happen.

11. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Plenty on here have been quick to compare us to China when there's an obvious negative. Well I wonder what people think of converting the London Excel to a 4000 bed hospital in little under 2 weeks (China built their hospitals in that sort of time) . If all 4000 beds are used it will be the biggest hospital in the world. Other converted sites to follow in Scotland, Cardiff, Manchester and Birmingham. This is some response with the army supporting this effort. I hope people acknowledge this is a huge and amazing effort..

LG, Reebok, floridaspearl and 2 others like this.
  12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And ours won't fall down

LG likes this.
  13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You seem very adaptable so I'm sure you will be OK until you can get back to your PA work

14. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Imagine building a hospital in 6 days, as China has done. Of course they can circumvent the red tape, but it's marvellous what can be done if circumstances demand it.

15. Cyclonic

I can't agree with the comment about the Chinese not keeping a lid on things and merrily spreading the virus Oddy. It's not that they didn't want to stop it, they just couldn't control the virus from getting loose. They didn't want the crap happening any more than the rest of the globe, it's smashing all economies, including theirs.

Look at the way Covid19 flew across the vast area of the United States, to a point where every state has been infected. Sure some governments have been slow to react to the oncoming problem, but the cold hard truth is that the virus is thriving in the global world in which we now live. Today, travel is dirt cheap compared to the old days. We can get a return ticket to the far side of the world for the price of a weeks wages. Global pandemics are now a part and parcel of our life styles now. So the blame can't be entirely sheeted home to the Chinese population. It has to acknowledged that foreign travellers have also played a big part in spreading the virus.

Demonizing a nation for something that crops up from mature is unfair as well. The next one could spring from anywhere. It's been though that the so called Spanish Flu of 1018 - 20 has been wrongly attributed to Spain. Research by a British team led virologist John Oxford, Professor of Queen Mary University of London has hypothesized that it may have been started at a UK staging and hospital camp in France. Yet others have said it may have begun in America. Is it fair to cast malicious intent upon another nation when the same could be said about us?

There is far too much of this malignant thinking going on across the planet right now.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    LG and rudebwoy like this.
  16. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I think the Chinese treatment of the young Dr Li who was credited with identifying the virus says it all Cyc.

17. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Good luck.

18. Cyclonic

With all due respect Oddy, it doesn't say it at all. There's no denying that Dr. Le Wenlaing was badly treated in December by the local police in Wuhan, and they were rightly dragged over the coals for their actions, but to use the the treatment of the doctor to blame a nation for an act of nature is to deflect from the issue. When the Dr. was jumped on, the virus was up and running and as we can all see, once it's on the move, it's hard to control.

There are many facilities around world is running tests on whether drugs already on the market can be helpful. But it takes time. The good doctor had ideas on a treatment, but there's no chance he could have made much of a dent in the time available to him. No nation anywhere in the world has an answer as yet. If we don't have the answers and don't blame ourselves, is it then fair to blame China for not having the answer as well?

Bottom line. Covid19 exploded in China and so far has proved to be unstoppable. If the desire to cast blame is needed, then blame us all. We are the one's who crave the cheap global mobility and consumer goods.

rudebwoy and Archers Road like this.
  19. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Do you really believe the numbers coming out of China now Cyc - even the Chinese people are cynical and calling them lies. A regime in denial.

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Or we could all stop trying to score points off each other, until this is over.

You and the other hard-line right wingers are among the worst offenders imo.

rudebwoy likes this.