Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Mar 3, 2020.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

Spain's health ministry says the death toll in the past 24 hours was 849 - a new record. The previous highest daily figure was 838 on Sunday. The total of people infected has surpassed China, where the outbreak started - it is now 94,417. There are plans to move some intensive care patients from Madrid and Catalonia - the worst-hit areas - to other parts of Spain

At the risk of sarcastic comments from a "few" on here. Wouldnt everyone be better off if they were left where they are rather than risk spreading it to less infected areas?

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Its got into the hospitals and care homes here in Germany according to the BBC. Death tolls expected to rise. That despite the widespread testing. No substitute for isolation.

upload_2020-3-31_12-53-52.png

3. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

janabelle , your previous employer can furlough you , that’s from david lewis , you left after feb 28th i believe , so your old boss can do it for you , costs them nothing , you get 80 % wages .......

NDS, Cyclonic and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  4. OddDog

Staff Member

Just reading an interesting interview with a leading Epidemiologist on German media and he reiterates the point that everyone seems to be forgetting. Social distancing measures will only slow the spread of the virus (the "flattening of the curve") it will not get rid of the virus. As soon as measures are relaxed, the virus will start spreading (and killing) again. There are 3 ways to get rid of the virus - 1. Isolate everyone in the whole world until no one has it (not practical); 2. Discover an antidote which works (several months away); 3. Create herd immunity. Basically herd immunity is the only workable option.

5. rudebwoy

if they cannot physically cope with the numbers , and other areas have space , what’s the issue ? they’re in a medical space aren’t they ? Patients from france have been going to germany and switzerland already to help with the pressure on the region of eastern france ....

6. rudebwoy

but in a measured way if you want to retain a health service / society

7. OddDog

Staff Member

Yes he talks about doing it in waves. You relax restrictions and watch the virus spread but re-introduce them to keep it to a manageable level. You'd have to live through sufficient waves to get to two-thirds immunity that constitutes "herd immunity".

rudebwoy likes this.
  8. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Herd immunity will work but can you see organisational skills from the Gov and public discipline managing it?
    Im not so sure.

9. mallafets123

I remember before the last General election thinking how can society get back to a better, more tranquil, and fairer state. We are/were far too far down the road we were going. The Conservatives were offereing pretty much the same so I couldnt vote for them. Labour while had good ideas like nationalising Energy which i agreed with but a lot of other ridiculuous ideas so i couldnt vote for them. It was the first time i never voted in fact.
    Now, surely we have got to use this as a reset and get big changes, i am not sure how but surely it is a opportunity the public should not pass up.
    One example. Pubs, they should be self owned by the landlord for example and not the breweries who screw them to sell their beer.

10. OddDog

Staff Member

No chance <laugh>

upload_2020-3-31_13-48-22.png

11. rudebwoy

Well, a lot of those so called outlandish labour ideas are being implemented ,they have to in order to save the economy, but your right mal ,need to reorganise society! !!

12. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

A couple of problems with herd immunity.

1. If you just let the virus spread unchecked (as we originally did) then before too long the health system gets overloaded and far more people die - not just of the virus but of other illnesses.
    2. It has still not been established whether you can catch this virus twice - that is something that really does need to be 100% confirmed.

but yes the “exit strategy” is probably the most worrying thing in all this.

I honestly can’t see the world opening up properly again until there is a vaccine found.
    Mass testing will take a while too for the 8 billion people who will need it. That could be at least 18 months away.

now I think it will be difficult to lock us all up for that time but honestly anyone got a better idea at the moment ?

13. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

I suppose it'll probably run it's course like H1 N1, SARS and MERS. These things seem to a run and then fizz out. Hopefully this one will too.

14. OddDog

Staff Member

This comment on the BBC website (on an article about supermarkets easing restrictions on quantities) just made my day:

upload_2020-3-31_15-51-2.png

15. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

NO they can't. I was made redundant from previous job on 28th Feb. My former employer was an MP who lost in the GE

16. rudebwoy

So he’s dissolved his business , thereby making you redundant , i thought you’d left your previous job for a new one , unlucky then .
    i’m sure you don’t want to rely on the universal credit to exist , but there are driving jobs going to be needed , and with people going off with sickness all the time a pool of spare drivers will be needed in every organisation.
    good luck with job hunting !
    i’m lucky to be laid up , just got to wait ten weeks for a payment ......

17. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

look I am not wanting to post negatively, I am just trying to state things as they are.
    It was clear from the number of hospital admissions in recent days that the death rate was not accurate.

today we have a more realistic if somewhat depressing figure. Most people I know here in London now know someone who has died from this, and I am sure this will only continue.

the continuing main problems are
    1. Lack of ventilators
    2. Lack of PPE equipment
    3. lack of testing - apparently Germany tests 70,000 a day whereas we are struggling to do 10,000 - how embarrassing.

rudebwoy and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  18. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Crikey, someone clever agrees with me <laugh>

19. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

just got to get a few volunteers to get themselves infected<laugh>

must admit you have to admire Prince Charles and Boris Johnson for stepping up on this <cheers>

rudebwoy likes this.
  20. mallafets123

Interesting news on the radio today from a German doctor. The anomoly of the virus in Germany infecting younger people was due to the large amount of them coming back from skiing in the Alps. Now tbey are seeing older people getting it in increasing numbers.