1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by astro, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

they are normally tested on arrival and they are treated as having contracted it in hospital if that is negative then they test positive on or after 7 days in hospital .

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

How can anyone say with accuracy if someone contracted it after admission if it can lay dormant for anything between 10-14 days with tests giving a false negative in those first few days.

You'd have to break down any data into who's been admitted over 2 weeks and who hasn't. And even then, how accurate any initial tests were and the margin for error.

I'm not saying there aren't infections in hospitals because it must happen, but how quantifiable that is or the stats being quoted I'm not so sure.

3. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Apart from the very start of the pandemic when there was little to no PPE available to medical staff, my son has been, and continues to be, tested twice a week. Has gone through the whole time removing his clothes at the front door when he gets home and never wears the same thing twice. You can't really ask for more than that in terms of hygiene and personal responsibility.

Number 1 Jasper and Solid_Air 2 like this.
  4. johnsonsbaby

It's semantics isn't it. . All the reports I've seen talk about Covid hospitalisation numbers. You can't have been hospitalised with Covid if you tested negative on arrival.

Treble likes this.
  5. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Second jab done today. So does that mean I’m free to go round and lick peoples faces now?

luvgonzo likes this.
  6. Solid_Air 2

nah you have to wait 3 weeks before you get to go face licking .

InBiscanWeTrust likes this.
  7. johnsonsbaby

I think there's a two week kick in period so put a note in your diary for 13 August, then, if there are any takers, lick away. <laugh>

8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'll be honest I'm so overwhelmed by it all I just can't be arsed to follow it anymore. There seems to be a vacuum of information on the one hand, and whole mish mash of confusing over-information on the other.

I was listening to a doctor on the radio and he said something which I thought sounded sensible. He referenced the AIDS epidemic and the massive government TV and poster ad campaign to educate back in the 80's.

He said something similar should've happened with Covid from Day 1. Not just some meaningless claptrap slogan about Stay Alert, Stay Safe bollox but government ads with actual facts updated weekly with infections, hospitalisations, successful pregnancies, vaccine uptakes etc.

He said it was needed moreso in this day and age because of social media and it would go a long way to pouring cold water on any misinformation on social media and prevent people from harbouring misconceptions or disappearing down rabbit holes.

THE FOOL and johnsonsbaby like this.
  9. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

As if you've stopped doing that the past 18 months <whistle>

10. moreinjuredthanowen

No you can't.

Maybe daily testing but that's down to the people in charge.

With a 4 to 5 day period before you know you have got it twice a week gives time to infect people in some circumstances.

11. johnsonsbaby

When AIDS was first detected it didn't take long before science and medicine knew exactly how it was spread and therefore how individuals could protect against it - all myths aside obviously. This pandemic has been totally different. Covid has been around in one form or another since the 1960's but this strain is like nothing ever seen before. That has made it nigh on impossible to get to grips with. The very best scientists and experts in the field have been giving conflicting information from the start as it has confounded them too.

Apart from the obvious suffering and deaths, the one thing that continues to anger me is the effort to try and make it political. Boris Johnson has acted like a buffoon in his personal approach to it, remember him boasting about shaking hands with a virus victim and saying 'it's fine if you wash your hands' - then looking around the room for confirmation - 'before? after?' , only to shortly afterwards get it himself quite badly. But ...... I don't see how he or his party can take the blame for the poor handling of lockdowns etc. when there are 'experts' advising him. There's no doubt lots of mistakes have been made as evidenced by our numbers but if anyone in the country of a different political persuasion had the answers then they owed it to all of us to share that information. It's easy to criticise, not so easy to come up with solutions. They used to call it back seat driving although I'm not sure that actually applies either.

12. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

This is the problem with corona… so many mixed messages. Is it two or three weeks?! <doh>

Solid_Air 2 and johnsonsbaby like this.
  13. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Im not and never have been hugely into politics. So much waffle and never really see any difference between any of them.

I appreciate people more itk about it that me may have correct opinions that some are better than others and Boris seems a bumbling idiot when ever you hear him talk. But i think gov needed everyone to come together, put your allegiances to political parties, your egos to one side and actually just as one big party to try and do the best possible. It’s always, one side thinks this should happen the other always believes should be different. It’s like they have to play devils advocate no matter what, surely the people in charge can’t always be 100% wrong in which case why not back them up. Show that as a political party you’re all pulling together to do what’s best and maybe having more heads sharing knowledge and not being blunt headed and saying no because an idea came from opposition and maybe things would be a lot easier

14. johnsonsbaby

I've been told two weeks.

Also, the efficacy has been measured two weeks after each dose rising from 60% two weeks after the first, to up to 90% two weeks after the second.

15. johnsonsbaby

I feel pretty much the same way.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  16. Solid_Air 2

After having both doses, most people will have immunity. This means you will be protected against COVID-19. It takes 15 days after getting the second dose to have the best protection

So JB is right face licking sooner than i thought

InBiscanWeTrust and johnsonsbaby like this.
  17. johnsonsbaby

What was the first thing you wanted to do after getting the second dose?

It never crossed my mind that I would now be able to go and lick someone's face <laugh> It reminds me of that old joke about the fella who injured his hand and the doctor said he needed to have an operation. He says to the doctor "will I be able to play the piano after the operation?" Doctor says "of course you will " and he replies "that's good because I couldn't play it before ".

18. moreinjuredthanowen

That didn't work for Labour in the local elections. Starter just backed 90% or more of the government's antics and got punished for it.

People want to see sound bites and some strong leader it seems to me.

THE FOOL likes this.
  19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It’s impossible to separate many of the decisions made and their outcomes from politics, as political ideology lay at the heart of plenty of them. I could write a ream on the timeline and mistakes made and the reasons behind them and those mistakes have been shown to have cost many thousands of lives. There was plenty calling for actions to be taken sooner (inaction and delay has been one of the prime mistakes) and Govt weren’t merely following the ‘experts’ that’s the point.

Treble likes this.
  20. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Fixed.

organic red likes this.