1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by astro, Mar 23, 2020.

1. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

that never stopped

luvgonzo likes this.
  2. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I agree .

I’m no Tory lover , but I defy ANY POLITCAL PARTY ( or their supporters ) to say how it could be done better . We all have degrees in Hindsight !

The only thing I can think of is when he said he trusted in our ( public ) to use common sense .

Bumps and Diego like this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

About what? Corona virus.

Mate if you don't know by now how bad Johnson has done on corona you won't listen to me.

Johnson has blood on his hands for February and March 2020.

THE FOOL and Tobes like this.
  4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Eat out to help out was a great idea and didn't fly in the face of the advice from experts at all. I'm sorry but I can't defend the government on this and use the hindsight excuse. ****ing idiots who didn't listen to the advice and caused deaths because of their idiotic little brains.

THE FOOL likes this.
  5. moreinjuredthanowen

Half of Europe was still in lock down when the UK ignored it and allowed 6 nations Rugby, Cheltenham festival and locally atletico fans and lfc fans go to cl game and that alone caused massive case rate and many deaths.

We were unhappy at the time so its not hindsight

6. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

<laugh>

luvgonzo likes this.
  7. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Ok .

I had posted a reply , but as soon as I did I realised it was purely childish .

I agree that the herd mentality was stupid and dangerous , and the Bojo didn’t take it seriously enough in the first instance , and perhaps doesn’t even now , or at least not seriously enough .

I do however still think that hindsight is a wonderful thing , we are not experts ( in all seriousness , some on here may well be ) .

I just think that yes serious mistakes were made but I’m not convinced any other govt would not have made them as well .

Apart from the herd mentality bit .

That is my opinion and I stand by it .

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  8. moreinjuredthanowen

To be honest,

a) Labour - do we really think they'd be any better? honeslty not, totally incompetant as well.

b) Global examples: Spain, desperate to open up after horrendous lockdown just as bad after. Italy. Same. Australia, just as bad totally rested on laurels and are now in lockdown having totally wasted their chance to go for vaccinations. France, just as bad in fighting over Sanofi who still don't have their vaccine out i think.

c) The very special special cases like brazil and the US under trump. They both make johnson look like a saint.

Could a competent government do better? Yes. You've highlighted the issue upload_2021-8-3_8-43-48.png
    Spike 1 is somewhat down to resistance to doing anything do we really know how much much? probably not. After that IMO they resisted again in december and jan but the reality for us all is nobody wanted to know after july/august about suppressing this thing and thats US not the government alone.

Did we have an alternative? not really, especially not in the UK

Say Corbyn won the election. He'd have faffed about. we could all see him playing both sides on brexit so why would he not half ass the whole thing just as much as johnson.

I would have to say that we need to see that there is a real difference in the above graph from last year to this coming year in terms of deaths because we have the vaccine. That's the trick form here as if jonhson and the Tories are wrong then our freedom day fun anf games now is going to bite very hard in decemebr and january as i sincerely doubt the majority will take another lockodwn in winter.

9. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

If I remember rightly Labour panned the government for going it alone for a vaccine and wanted us to stick with the EU. Thank God we didn't listen to them.

Whatever party was in cahrge would have meds some mistakes as Covid was a completely unknown quantity.

Diego likes this.
  10. moreinjuredthanowen

Starmer can't make his mind up. He was too supportive and got destroyed in the local elections and now he is just say the opposite type of stuff.

11. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

There are mistakes and incompetence

They could be forgiven for standing with there fingers up their arse while people died in China, but continuing to do nothing while it spread through out Europe and take a hold in the UK is unforgivable.

Boris was licking people while other countries where going into lock down.

His dithering cost people their lives, it will be forgotten about, but his refusal to take it seriously was not a mistake made through lack of information.

Tobes and Solid_Air 2 like this.
  12. moreinjuredthanowen

Have to remember Johnson nearly killed himself with his attitude.

A lot has happened since but let's not forget him swanning about shaking hands and all that in a covid ward refusing to wear a mask.

We need to see that the advisors are his appointments so if he blames bad info he really only has himself to blame.

13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

He didn’t bother attending the first 5 COBRA meetings on the issue of COVID.

He made his infamous ‘Superman’ speech in Feb and went on National TV talking about ‘letting the virus rip through’. His intention until the middle of March was the lunacy of herd immunity. It wasn’t until he was presented with a report that stated that doing nothing would cost at least 500k lives that he was shook into facing reality. By that point the virus was already spreading like wildfire. The man is personally culpable for 10’s of thousands deaths, and that’s without mentioning the similar delays in the later lockdowns.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  14. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

The whole covid was unknown, nobody could have done better thing really pisses me off.

This is how the the idiot will walk away scot free, if it was any other professional position he'd be hung drawn and quartered, why as the prime minister he's not held to these same standards is beyond me.

However I'm well aware that politics in this country and as a whole are in the toilet. Make people laugh or get them angry and they will vote for you. Sound bites, a funny hair cut and false promises and your there.

I find the whole charade utterly depressing

15. Milky

Milky bar kid

All governments should be pressurizing the populace to get vaccinated.

Unvaccinated people are a breeding ground for variants, like the lambda Variant which can infect vaccinated people more easily.

If everyone got vaccinated this would be over in a season. Only vaccinating half the population it will continue to mutate and put both the vaccinated and unvaccinated at risk. This is going to be like the flu with waves every year.

16. Milky

Milky bar kid

Incidentally, I'm working at home today, suspected COVID (yes fully vaccinated and always wear masks... But my vaccination was back in December and it loses a little bit of effectiveness after six months) I'm not bad at all, just trying not to spread it.

Coughing, congested, achy, sense of taste weakened. Classic symptoms just really mild. Home test said negative but keeping away from people just in case, because it makes sense the home test might have been inaccurate.

17. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

it's alright mate i'm fairly certain we won't catch it from here .
    nice to have you back .

lfcpower and Milky like this.
  18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I somehow managed to catch it after having both jabs, barely going anywhere and wearing a mask etc. Fortunately the symptoms were mild and the vaccine did it’s job.

19. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

Vaccine refusers, conspiracy theorists etc etc are the ones holding us back. Of course, ironically, they've constantly been the ones protesting about losing freedoms, state control and the 'great reset' when the obvious remedy to counteract all those things is right there. Ignorant knuckle draggers all.

Tobes, Milky, johnsonsbaby and 2 others like this.
  20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've only just seen this so apologies for the late response.

I don't mind governments making mistakes mate. It's when they turn those mistakes, those catastrophic acts of incompetence into "nothing to see here" or even acts of success or even bare faced lies - that I have a problem with. The "world class track and trace" that the **** Hancock bullshitted in the House of Commons, the herd immunity bollox that Boris and his cronies were spouting on daytime telly, the fact he didn't treat it seriously enough to attend numerous COBRA meeting about it to help prepare, the delay in initiating the first lockdown, the old folk with Covid in hospitals who weren't tested and sent back to care-homes to kills thousands of vulnerable elderly, the lie about 100,000 being tested by April last year and then massaging the figures to make it fit, the PPE mess and the spin that was put on that, the nepotism displayed through billions paid to the cronies with no experience or expertise to deliver a shambles of a track and trace system, the "help out to eat out" fiasco, the delay in the second lockdown. The fact that most of their decision-making whilst quoted as being led by the science, was tempered by the need to appease big business and those with vested interests in commercial property in London who were seeing their revenue going down the pan.

It's the lack of accountability I have a problem with.

At the time, and even before, people of all political persuasions were calling them out on it but the government said "now is the not the time, we'll have a proper review when it's all over", and now when anyone raises the things they raised back then, the government and the cronies who support them say "ah it's all hindsight". Like fck it is! This is the worst, most corrupt and incompetent government I can remember. Every single government of the past whether I agreed or disagreed with them (Tory or Labour) had some degree of calibre in their ranks. There isn't a single person in that cabinet I'd trust to look after my pet cat let alone the country. Always caught napping these ****s and it's cost thousands of lives lost unnecessarily. And now we have the Afghanistan debacle under their watch.

Tobes likes this.