1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Coventry City vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Sep 15, 2020.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Coventry City vs QPR
    St. Andrew's Trillion Trophy Stadium
    Friday 18th September 2020 - 19h45
    The Championship

please log in to view this image

Travel;
    Drive: 2 h 11 min (121.4 mi) via M40
    Train : 2 h 40 min - central line then northern line to Euston. Mainline to Birmingham New Street then 97 bus to Birmingham business park.
    Cycle : 10 h 28 min (118.9 mi) via B4100

Previous Meetings; *warning : please be aware that the 'Ones to forget' section includes some bad ones, and one particularly horrific spanking...it may be painful reading for anyone who attended matches in the 1930's.

Games won: 42
    Games drawn: 31
    Games lost: 47

Ones to remember;

18 Oct 1909 Queens Park Rangers v Coventry City W 4-0 Southern League First Division
    03 Sep 1910 Queens Park Rangers v Coventry City W 5-0 Southern League First Division
    05 Apr 1913 Queens Park Rangers v Coventry City W 4-0 Southern League First Division
    28 Apr 1979 Queens Park Rangers v Coventry City W 5-1 League Division One
    23 Oct 1993 Queens Park Rangers v Coventry City W 5-1 Premier League

Ones to forget;
    28 Dec 1909 Coventry City v Queens Park Rangers L 4-0 Southern League First Division
    26 Apr 1928 Queens Park Rangers v Coventry City L 1-5 Division Three (South)
    04 Mar 1933 Coventry City v Queens Park Rangers L 7-0 Division Three (South)
    01 Feb 1936 Coventry City v Queens Park Rangers L 6-1 Division Three (South)
    30 Aug 1952 Queens Park Rangers v Coventry City L 0-4 Division Three (South)
    02 May 1955 Coventry City v Queens Park Rangers L 5-1 Division Three (South)
    15 Sep 1956 Coventry City v Queens Park Rangers L 5-1 Division Three (South)
    25 Feb 1969 Coventry City v Queens Park Rangers L 5-0 League Division One

Players who have played for both;
    Roy Wegerle;

1990–1992 Queens Park Rangers 65 (29)
    1993–1995 Coventry City 53 (9)

Andy Impey;

1990–1997 Queens Park Rangers 188 (13)
    2005–2006 Coventry City 16 (0)

Jay Bothroyd;

2000–2003 Coventry City 72 (14)
    2011–2013 Queens Park Rangers 25 (3)

Match Preview;
    We go into Friday night top of the league, which I have been mentioning quite a lot this week, while I still can. Coventry lost their opening game 2-1 to Bristol City, which leaves them 14th in the table, exactly 14 places behind QPR, who are top of the league. After the early finish to the League 1 season, Coventry were promoted and immediately released 8 players, most notably Jordy Hiwula. They have since signed Ben Sheaf (midfielder), on a season long loan from Arsenal, and Tyler Walker (striker) from Forest.

Going into Friday night I am partly confident as we are top of the league, but I have some concerns. First concern is that we are live on sky, which often doesn't work out that well for us. Second concern, is that it was great to have football back last week, and the players would have been up for the first game of the season, but at some point fatigue will kick in after the short summer break. Before last weekend, our last game was on July 22nd, but Coventry hadn't played since March 7th. At some point that will surely play to their advantage as energy levels drop and injuries start to kick in for those teams who barely got a break. I guess all the players had an extended mid-season break, and you could also argue that Coventry will be disadvantaged as they are out of practice, but it is worth baring in mind.

Team news
    QPR: R’s manager Mark Warburton once again has a full complement of players to choose from, with everyone coming through last Saturday’s win over Nottingham Forest unscathed.

Coventry City: Coventry will be without captain Liam Kelly, who picked up a hamstring injury on the opening day of the season. Summer signings Julien Dacosta (ankle) and Marcel Hilssner (asthma) both remain unavailable, as do Jodi Jones (knee), Will Bapaga (shoulder), Ben Wilson (wrist), Fankaty Dabo (knee) and Wes Jobello (hip).

Pre-match words
    QPR manager Mark Warburton: "We know that Coventry play with a nice style of play, with players who likes to get on the ball with good forward running. They are a very dangerous side. Mark (Robins) and his team have done an outstanding job when you look at where they have been and where they are now."

Coventry City manager Mark Robins: There’s good players at this level and QPR are no different. They have got really good players that will present another tough challenge but it is one that we look forward to.”

...COME ON YOU SUPER HOOPSA!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Didn't Roy Wegerle move to Cov?

daverangers likes this.
  3. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Our lucky ground.

4. daverangers

Congratulations, you have successfully beaten my memory (not hard) and a google search.

Thanks.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  5. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Sorry Dave, can you repeat where we are in the table? <laugh>

6. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I hate these situations... we play before others hoping to go top (stay). wasn't it a couple of seasons ago that we had a handful of games to go top before Christmas and blew every chance?

7. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

These are the type of games we need to win if we really are going to be in the hunt this season. Three points on Friday and it'll be champagne and cigars, a dismal defeat and we'll be effin' and jeffin' endlessly (as normal)...

8. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Wow, how long has it been since we played Coventry?
    Seems like ages.
    Hope we can continue from our opening game and stay at the top of the table.
    The view is great from up here!

kiwiqpr, daverangers and Steelmonkey like this.
  9. daverangers

It has been a while...last time was the 2010/11 Championship winning year when we did the double over them;

28 Dec 2010 Coventry City v Queens Park Rangers W 0-2 League Championship
    23 Jan 2011 Queens Park Rangers v Coventry City W 2-1 League Championship

Didley Squat likes this.
  10. Bwood_Ranger

Had a fiver on Kyle Walker to score first at their place at 40/1 and from behind the goal it looked like he had when £200 as a student would have kept me in Strongbow and frozen pizzas for a month.

Best game there in my lifetime was when Santos got the winner in the 90th minute.

kiwiqpr and daverangers like this.

11. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

I think it was the 95/96 season in the Prem when we lost there 1-0 and Brevett ran the length of the pitch at full time to chin one of their players

Match officials didn't see it so no red card

I think Impey was sent off during the game

kiwiqpr, Didley Squat and Steelmonkey like this.
  12. Steelmonkey

I've had a strong, irrational hatred of Dion Dublin since that season - we were playing Man Utd, live on Sky, and he was a pundit in the studio. At half time, he uttered the words that I can never forgive him for....."I hope United go on to win this, as it will be good for Coventry"....what a tosser!!

kiwiqpr, rangercol and Didley Squat like this.
  13. daverangers

Doesn't show the Brevett incident but an enjoyable watch...about the time I started watching so fond memories of watching this team play;

Didley Squat likes this.
  14. Steelmonkey

Look at the state of the pitch for a PL game <yikes> players today would have a mare playing on that

Didley Squat and daverangers like this.
  15. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

"....but at some point fatigue will kick in after the short summer break..." I bloody well hope not after precisely one game and six days to recover.

16. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I was at that game where Jess got the winner. If I remember we took something like 7000? away. It all kicked off outside after the game. I remember going to the coach while fists were flying all around me. That dislike for Cov carried on to when we played them in the first game at their new stadium. Can anyone remember that with all the bricks flying? I will never forget the pub on the roundabout where all the punters we're climbing over the fence to have a fight with us... That then carried on to the Ibiza Tour. It's been so long now I doubt anyone really cares. I hope we just get the 3 points

17. Bwood_Ranger

Premier League footballers don’t go for that David Rennie/Holloway premature balding look any more and we’re all poorer for it IMO

Hoopington likes this.
  18. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

At the time I normally drove to all away games (fully expensed company car!) but had a sense of foreboding about this one so parked at my brother's place in Coventry and walked to the match instead

I can well remember the aggro after the game and thinking it was fortuitous that I'd not worn anything hooped that day

It was ironic that Coventry then moved to the most atmosphere-less and empty stadium - the Ricoh

Didley Squat, ELLERS and jeffranger like this.
  19. Bwood_Ranger

The one where Jimmy Smith got the winner under Gregory I think was a good one.

The important Eoin Jess match excepted, we must be a bit of a bogey side for them in the last 30 or so years.

20. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

One of those potential ‘banana skin’ games for us. Feel (hope?) MW will have the boys on their toes and well aware of the pitfalls and, more importantly, opportunities to lay down a season start statement of intent.

Didley Squat and ELLERS like this.