1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Coventry City vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

This is bugging me - from a movie right? Which one?

Didley Squat likes this.
  2. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Raving,
    Now that you have mentioned it, l too am trying to think which movie or TV show but to no avail.

3. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

There's a huge gulf between the important message - kick racism out of football - and taking an obeisant knee to an aggressive political organisation that want to get rid of the police and prisons, and some of whose members physically intimidate those who will not follow them and espouse "killing whitey".

Mark Robins is whining that it was QPR's idea that the knee was not taken, and that he wanted to. He's a weak, ignorant idiot in my view. Really proud that QPR had the guts to stand up to the Woke Army that demand compliance. Next game, let our players have "Stand up to racists" vests on when they come on the pitch.

4. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

A plus for me yesterday - in Dykes, we have a player that can take a penalty Unlike Chair who has not yet mastered the ability to take a free kick.

Fast counterattack is surely the biggest weapon an away team has. And in players like BOS we have the ability to get up the field like lightening. The tippy-tappy Barcelona-light we saw last night kept giving Coventry a sporty chance. Big change in approach needed here.

bunmahon_ranger likes this.
  5. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

My question to Jobi NotEnough would be this - what are you doing to end racism other than wearing a badge and moaning at others (with an excellent community record) on Sky?

Did I hear him say that Leyton Orient didn't take a knee in their last game? Put your own house in order first Jobi!!

Anyhow, on to the match.....

Hugely disappointing. Dykes was isolated most of the evening and kept dropping deeper and deeper to look for the ball - not helpful when we were only playing one up top to begin with

Central midfield looks very weak - we need a lot more grit in there - and out wide Coventry had clearly done their homework on BOS and largely nullified him by crowding him out whenever he got the ball after the first 15/20 mins

So disappointing to see us capitulate time and time again on corners. I really can't understand why this is still an issue. It's the definition of madness - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!

rangercol and Goldhawk-Road like this.
  6. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

A severe failure of management I'm afraid to say.
    • MW's usual uber cautious slow build-up and passing game was not (and probably cannot be) adapted to take advantage of Coventry's poor first half display and for all the possession only the very fortunate penalty gave us a clear goal scoring opportunity.
    • Continually passing the ball backwards and sideways in your own half is not a sign of mature tactics even if it does keep Amos in a job.
    • Neutralising creative players such as Chair by playing them out of position in 'away' formations is a crime.
    • After an entire season of defensive calamity from set-pieces the coach really must take responsibility when it never improves.
    • The same applies to an entire season of being the only team in modern football not able to take advantage of breakaway situations.
    • And there can be no doubt which boss got the half-time team talk right last night.

7. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on.

Having now seen the Hill interview where he states that Warburton flatley refused to even entertain defensive training, I fear we may be in a shed load of trouble.

8. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

In this day and age of modern football coaching, I find it very, very hard to believe Clint Hill's assertion that Warburton refuses to do defensive training but, then, I totally trust Clint Hill and see no reason why he should tell anything but the truth. Moreover, the evidence is there for us all to see: all last season and now starting this season, we are a disaster at defending corners and free kicks.

I still think Warburton has a lot to offer but, if he has weaknesses or a blind spot, he should realise that (or be told about it, Sir Les) and do something about it. If he lacks the know-how, acknowledge that very few of us score 10/10 on every front and, for goodness sake, hire a defence coach.

9. rangercol

Problem is, many coaches have this stubborn streak where they simply refuse to acknowledge their failings.
    We are going to struggle big time if we continue to play Chair on the left, no link man in the centre and defend like all of last season, all in front of a very dodgy keeper.

10. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I’m still not happy! <steam>
    How did we bloody lose to Cov? Terrible performance. Only positive was the penalty and the way it was taken... too many negatives to mention, especially the defence.
    What’s all this backward/sideways Stuff? Simply not good enough.

11. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

On reflection it wasn't a terrible performance....for 44 minutes we dominated the tempo, were on the front foot won the ball high up the pitch, took the game to them, remember we were the away side but played like the home side. For some reason that all stopped once we scored....

The 2nd half was poor granted....but a point would have been a decent result....certainly taken that before kick off

qprmountmartha likes this.
  12. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

It does seem highly unlikely a team in the 2nd tier of English football would have no defensive coaching even if MW has little interest there are other responsible folk. Looking at his reactions he seemed pretty pissed off.
    It is worrying that we haven't sorted these issues and all of our goalscorers have gone.

13. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

To be fair Frome we scored two goals away from home. Any team would expect to come away with a win or at worst a draw with that.
    Our defensive deficiencies robbed us again.
    I would take Clint’s comments for what they are, however his comments about set piece corners matches perfectly with our defence last night and has me worried about how/if MW is ever going to sort out the defence.
    Defence is the rock and foundation of any team. We have two decent centre backs and shouldn’t be in this mess for a second season.

Frome-Ranger, Didley Squat and ELLERS like this.
  14. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

I disagree on the first half. Coventry showed us too much respect, didn't press and allowed us to have the ball, despite which we created virtually nothing

As soon as they pressed, ran at us and got the ball in the final third we were all over the place. Their first goal was down to shambolic defending - albeit a good cross and great movement for the header. Second half we were lucky to only concede two

ELLERS, Yorkshire-Rs and QPR Oslo like this.
  15. rangercol

There was precious little tempo. BOS showed some, but if anything, he tried too much when he could have kept the ball moving.
    We dominated possession with Coventry sitting very deep with 5 at the back.
    We turned backwards or sideways almost every time we were in their half.
    It was good to see a Rangers side comfortable on the ball, but that kind of keep ball brings no end product.
    Chair was out of position and Amos will never be a decent attacking midfielder.
    We need to change things and quick.

ELLERS likes this.
  16. deano58

deano58 Well-Known Member

Can't for the life of me believe that MW doesn't practice Defending Duties,and if that is the truth then he will getting his marching orders pretty soon on the show of last night's calamitous defending..shocking!
    We need to spend some of the Eze cash on some half decent defenders and quick.

qprmountmartha, ELLERS and QPR Oslo like this.
  17. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I doubt there is much disadvantage in away games in these games without supporters. Maybe a bit if there is long travel involved, but a trip up to Brum doesn't take long. We should be going for 3 points in all the games at the start anyway.

I thought we were tepid 1st half. We passed the ball around ok but with little press on us in no danger areas for Coventry, and only had the one chance I remember the long shot from BOS straight at the Keeper, until they gave us a needless pen.

After that they attacked with a bit more conviction and we fell to pieces. Other than BOS, Kakay, Dykes and Barbet we were pretty pathetic, and the last 2 named were at fault for their winner.

Les needs to give the whole lot of them a big kick up the whatever, MW included.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  18. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

And for what it’s worth regarding ‘knee-gate’ ... these half-wits are criticising a club that has:
    > actively put up black managers and coaches and still do;
    > we have a black Director of Football;
    > the majority of our board of directors is of an ethnic background;
    > our stadium naming supports the death of one of our own black footballers;
    > every year we remember a young black footballer taken to young (who’s shirt remains retired); and
    > we are one of the most recognised community supporting clubs in the leagues.

You picked the wrong club to have a go at!!

Secondly, if Robins feels so strongly then stand up and say you want done ... you are the home manager and home team, so say it and don’t blame someone else - you were party to the decision and would have agreed; if you don’t agree then say so and don’t be so weak and feeble.

19. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Top half with a positive goal difference.

****ING BRILLIANT!

20. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator