1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Credit card fraud

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Geo10, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

anyone know the in’s and outs of this?
    If as a retailer you take payment for a sale and afterwards you suspect all is not as it should be. Are you liable if there is a chargeback down the line?

It was payment over the phone on a MasterCard

2. fozzies

fozzies Well-Known Member

Was it a phone order? You may be liable if you didn't get the correct details....happened to us a few years ago to the tune of £600. Got charged back after 2 months, an authorisation code isn't cast in stone.

just re read your post and saw it was indeed a phone order. Did you get the postcode and house number for the card?

Kempton likes this.
  3. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Yes got the postcode and house number, all matched up

Kempton likes this.
  4. fozzies

Ok so you got "all match" on the card machine and you despatched the goods to the correct address and have tracking info for it, I can't see any problem although i'm certainly no expert on these matters...what makes you concerned ?

Kempton likes this.
  5. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

They sent a driver to pick them up, he signed the receipt.
    It’s apparently a scam, they order and pay for the tyres then in a month or 2 it gets charged back as the cardholder says they didn’t receive the tyres. I’m not sure if that’s the person who ordered them or if it’s a cloned card etc the actual card holder

6. fozzies

Ah right, that's what happened to us with a load of Copper Tube, if the buyer is collecting you need him to bring the card and enter the pin number, never let someone pay over the phone and then collect unless you know and trust them....looks like you might have a problem. How much are we talking?

Kempton likes this.
  7. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

£2k, ive still got some tyres for him to collect and I’ve asked for some id and to see the cards. If he’s legit he’ll send them if not I’ve got 43 Tyres to try and recoup some money

8. fozzies

I would get him to pay again using chip and pin, then you can refund the original transaction. If he can't or won't do that smash his face in.

9. DocTigris

DocTigris Active Member

My mum just had £3k removed from her savings by someone who has cloned her driving licence, went into the bank with this ID saying she had lost her debit card, so they ordered the new card to be sent to the registered home address and let her withdraw the £3k savings whilst in branch. The first my mum knew of it was a replacement bank card arriving to replace the one that she had never actually lost. The DVLA say just 1 digit on the card was incorrect and of course the photo was of the scam lady - how do people get this info??

10. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

He won’t, he sends a man in a van. He offered to come in Thursday with his docs if I let him take the remainder of the tyres tomorrow. (I refused obviously) your solution is under consideration

11. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Allegedly, the guy who had bought these tyres has an Asian twang to his accent and they get the card details when people use their cards at Indian restaurants when they leave them behind the bar. Allegedly so I’m told and all that

12. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

On another point, I bought some stuff off Amazon before I came out here, first time I can used them. That was all OK, goods came, payment taken. Earlier this week a £7.99 went out of my account by Amazon which I had no idea what it was for. Just been on chat with them, apparently I joined Amazon Prime, because I didn't untick a box when ordering the goods. It's a bloody con this pre-ticking boxes, that when you are in a rush you don't notice. They are refunding now.

13. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

That really pisses me off, I made a point of making sure I unticked the box the last time I ordered something and they still signed me up to Amazon Prime. Fortunately, you get thirty days free and you can cancel whenever you like, so as soon as I got a 'welcome to Amazon Prime' confirmation email, I cancelled it.

14. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

When I had the Lambretta site, I regularly had chargebacks from card providers, it used to drive me up the wall. They seemed to just refund money whenever they were asked and had no interest in the fact that I'd done everything that I should have done, they just marked it 'unauthorised transaction' and took the cash back.

I switched to PayPal for the current site, you don't need a PayPal account, you can just enter your card details, but PayPal handle the transaction either way. Far less problems, but when you do get a problem, it takes forever to sort, They get 75 days to sort any dispute/contested payment and during that time they hold the money, neither the seller, not the buyer, can get hold of it.

I take card payments in my office and I've never had any issues with business to business transactions, though I'm delivering to clothing stores and it's fairly easy to check they're legit.

15. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

How did they know that your mum had £3k in her savings account? Surely they'd look pretty suspect asking for £3k and the cashier looking on screen to find that there was only a few hundred in that account. Either I'm missing something or someone had input that knew your mum and her affairs quite well.

16. Geo10

Geo10 Well-Known Member

Evo pay who handle the transactions have no interest in looking into it, I agree no crime has been committed but when you it’s going to happen and no one is interested it’s driving me mad. At the end if it all they’ll shrug their shoulders and take the money back off me

17. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I got a call from my credit card company once asking if I was in Greece
    Sadly I was in Country Park !
    They'd noticed I'd used it there, just after it had been used in Greece at the same time!
    Turned out it had been cloned. Not 100% sure how but there was a story at the time about someone in TKMaxx in the States selling details from their sales info so might have been that
    I didn't see the use as the company just dealt with it all before my bill. It did make me think that regularly using your cards (and then paying it off of course) is a safe way of doing things

18. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Any pilot super sports in 225/40/18?

I'll have them off you.

19. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

75 days!!!

That sounds like hell on earth. We get our noses up when payment is 30 days late <laugh>

20. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

I was in the Morrisons in Beverley and I got a call asking if i'd just used a cash point in Poland. Cheeky fekkers had taken 300 quid.