1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Credit card fraud

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Geo10, Oct 16, 2017.

1. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

My wifes credit card got cloned but I didn't really mind as the thief was spending less than she usually did.

2. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

I've had 2 instances were that has happened, someone tried to take money and they declined the payment, even though with what was in the offset account was more than enough to cover it.

3. RicardoHCAFC

RicardoHCAFC Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The driving licence number is pretty easy to get. Even if you ignore the stolen data option.

First 5 letters of your surname, followed by your 6 digit date of birth rearranged in a set order, then your initials. It's only the last 3 digit/letter combination that I can't remember how it's formed, and you said they ****ed one of those up anyway. All that info, including your address is on the electoral roll, and loads of people don't remove themselves from the searchable version. Pick someone likely to have money in savings and it not be invested particularly well (best returns usually for locked in money, so avoid people likely to be on top of all that stuff and pick soft victioms). Then you just try your luck in a couple of banks, starting with the most popular*

*I'd go for a Lloyds/Halifax/Bank of Scotland as my first choice. I tried paying money into a BOS account in branch using a driving licence and they paid the money into their Lloyds account instead. It's weird because Halifax and BOS you can see both sets of accounts through the same online login so that'd be understandable, but Lloyds you need a separate online login to see.

4. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

I'm imprest.

Plum and augustatiger like this.