1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cricket - Pakistan v India

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by brb, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Stan

Stan Stalker

Test cricket is a hard watch at times. Never duller than when Dravid was batting. Clearly brilliant but ****ing hell was he boring. Definitely one for the purists.

Ganguly was brilliant but by all accounts a proper ****.

haslam likes this.
  2. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Don't know if your comment is about Saeed or Youssef but I'd say it about both. I feel Youssef will be remembered for generations but for some reason feel Anwar gets sidelined quite a bit (maybe not by Pakistan fans?). My leanings are towards India (well England but them aside...) but I'd say Anwar was the best test opener either team had at the time - Sehwag is, conversely, over-rated. Tons of talent but not really a test mentality. The two of them together would have been grand though.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He lacked the professionalism.

That Indian batting line up was scary...they'd chase anything down.

haslam likes this.
  4. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Alot of love for the Wall here. In sport I always think you should do what the opposition don't want you to and Dravid must have been one of the most demoralising to bowl against. Gave very few chances and woe betide a fielder drops him, always made them suffer!

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

What about the Sri Lankans of the 90's...that was a Golden period for so many nations.

They changed the One day game by going for it in the first 10 Overs...amazing hitting

Pakistanis learned how to field properly...that was a major breakthrough

haslam likes this.
  6. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a shame as he sort of accepted being "very good" rather than anything more. Dravid is a good counterpoint really as Inzi was clearly far more talented but there's only one of those two who you'd be picking for your team realistically and it's not him. He seemed to get complacent, he knew he was almost undropable and I'll be damned if he wasn't the poster-boy or the idea that cricket isn't a real sport!

7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I remember when he attacked an Indian fan in the crowd who was shouting 'mota Aloo' (fat potato) through a hand held Tannoy <laugh>

haslam likes this.
  8. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

95-2005 was the golden age of cricket in my eyes. Sri Lanka were awesome, the world cup then tour of England they destroyed teams in that first 10-15, was glorious. Jayasuria vs England was awesome (but painful).

Honestly think that there's a handful of teams from that era who would be world number ones now. It's not surprising as the emphasis was on the long format of the game then mostly, now too many lack the mentality. Joe Root is a prime example of someone who seems to have let the short format obsession disrupt his Test mentality.

9. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

West Indies with Ambrose and Walsh from either end was scary. They used to have some great teams, in the 80's and early 90's

Australia with McGrath and Warne. The team that consisted of them, Gilchrist, and the Waugh brothers was devastating.

The Pakistan team containing Afridi, Inzamam, Sohail, Akram, Mushtaq and Akhtar, was another that I loved watching. Amazingly quick bowlers and Mushtaq who is one of the best spin bowlers that has ever played.

The England team in the early 2000's, Trescothick, Strauss, Pietersen, Flintoff, Harmison and Hoggard.

There's been loads when you include the Sri Lankan team era you mentioned, South Africa when Pollock and Jonty Rhodes were about. That was a rare occasion that it was entertaining watching them bowling. Their fielding was on another level.

10. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

But who's food is better?

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Bangladeshi's <ok>

12. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

No chance!

I can't stand Bangladeshi curry houses.

Their curries lack any kind of punch

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You're clearly eating it wrong!

I don't necessarily mean their curry houses, but how many ppl on here know that when they go into an indian restaurant, chances are there's a bunch of bengali's cooking the food?

Btw - indian cuisine is where it is, but pakistani cuisine is very underrated (once again because they're also classed as indian restaurants).

14. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Pakistani food is fantastic...most dishes are the same as Indian really...they the same people and had access to the same herbs n spices for 100's of years.

I just find Bengali curries too watery and bland. Something I've noticed over a number of years.

Treble likes this.
  15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well tbf it's bound to be, most of their country is below sea level! Hence why they serve everything with rice ffs.

Have you tried Iranian? Fcking lovely.

16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Yeah quite similar to most Middle Eastern cuisine. I don't like it when they throw in fruits n berries with some dishes...that's just me though.

Treble likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Have you ever been to a south indian curry house? The curries are sweet and so is the naan. It was a bit of a surprise on the first bite... which soon became the last.

18. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

One of them things that make your blood boil when you've been looking forward to a munch

Treble likes this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yeh but that happens whenever I see the price of any takeaway in the confines of Greater Manchester! <grr>Although Koobideh kebabs (Iranian) on the curry mile are worth every penny.

20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Rusholme Chippy is my go to place for a koobidah when I'm on Curry mile...yumtastic

Treble likes this.